Notices

Been doing some reading....and thinking....

Old 12-06-2018, 04:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Been doing some reading....and thinking....

and a couple lines keep running through my mind. One from the 12 & 12 and one from the Big Book:

1. It is a spiritual axiom that every time we are disturbed, no matter what the cause, there is something wrong with us.

2. So our troubles, we think, are basically of our own
making. They arise out of ourselves.....

Especially #2... lol. I remember talking to my sponsor and saying, "OMG dude.... what if that was actually TRUUUUUEE!?" I honestly didn't think it was possible for that to be true. I figured it was just Bill being dramatic or inflammatory in an attempt to scare me (us).

11 years in and I've yet to find a time when both weren't 100% dead accurate.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

while I agree they are true concerning most things,I think there are a few rare exceptions since we are human beings
Old 12-06-2018, 07:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

oh, i think there are definitely things we SHOULD be disturbed about and that there is someth8ng wrong with us if we are not
Old 12-06-2018, 07:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me what's important is my response.

​​​​Nothing wrong with getting upset or feeling self-pity. The question is how long before I take action

​​​​​​To ignore how you feel is just as unhealthy as continuing to stew in anger, pity ect

​​​​​​
Old 12-07-2018, 06:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Allow me to approach this from a different angle....

Considering me being disturbed in the first place means (in every instance I can think of anyway) that someone isn't behaving the way I want them to, things aren't going the way I want them to, or something is happening that I think shouldn't be happening. As a result, I'm upset that life isn't unfolding as I had wanted it to...... or hoped it would...... .or expected it would. 100% of the time after this realization, that things aren't going the way I know they should, I start to experience fear.... fear that I'll get hurt, that someone else will get hurt, or that it'll "just be bad."

And of course, there's a helluva reading about what this type of behavior is indicative of on pages 60 - 63. When I'm truly connected spiritually - a state I would like to spend more time in for sure- I'd say it's about impossible to disturb me. When I'm spiritual sane and spiritually grounded I recognize the irrelevance of my judgments before or as I'm making them and they tend to fall away prior to setting me up to be disturbed at all.

That I continue to experience being disturbed, or resentments, or fear, or anger those things have become massive warning signs to me saying, "well buddy, I know you THINK you're in the right but guess what? You're off the spiritual beam again and it's time to make some corrections." I don't look to see if it's justifiable any longer - that type of rationalization isn't a skill I need to practice anymore. Growing my spirituality - that's what I'm looking for. And with that as my goal, any indication I get throughout the day - like getting mad, or fearful.....or disturbed..... isn't a "bad" thing. It's just another free blessing from God that I'm heading in the wrong direction at the moment.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Allow me to approach this from a different angle....

Considering me being disturbed in the first place means (in every instance I can think of anyway) that someone isn't behaving the way I want them to, things aren't going the way I want them to, or something is happening that I think shouldn't be happening. As a result, I'm upset that life isn't unfolding as I had wanted it to...... or hoped it would...... .or expected it would. 100% of the time after this realization, that things aren't going the way I know they should, I start to experience fear.... fear that I'll get hurt, that someone else will get hurt, or that it'll "just be bad."

And of course, there's a helluva reading about what this type of behavior is indicative of on pages 60 - 63. When I'm truly connected spiritually - a state I would like to spend more time in for sure- I'd say it's about impossible to disturb me. When I'm spiritual sane and spiritually grounded I recognize the irrelevance of my judgments before or as I'm making them and they tend to fall away prior to setting me up to be disturbed at all.

That I continue to experience being disturbed, or resentments, or fear, or anger those things have become massive warning signs to me saying, "well buddy, I know you THINK you're in the right but guess what? You're off the spiritual beam again and it's time to make some corrections." I don't look to see if it's justifiable any longer - that type of rationalization isn't a skill I need to practice anymore. Growing my spirituality - that's what I'm looking for. And with that as my goal, any indication I get throughout the day - like getting mad, or fearful.....or disturbed..... isn't a "bad" thing. It's just another free blessing from God that I'm heading in the wrong direction at the moment.
Actually, I just happened to me today. I received some very distressing news.

Yes, I was nervous/scared which is a natural reaction unless one is Mr. Spock.

The question is what will I do next?

Now, my higher power which I call God has made it clear over the years he helps those who help themselves. Thus I took action.

I called my attorney and now feel a bit more at ease.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I kept EXPECTING to get to a point where the nervousness and fear would just never pop up in the first place. ......that time still hasn't arrived. But what has happened is I recognize the emotions a LOT quicker and I can see them for what they are - the result of me thinking I am and need to be fully self-reliant all the while doubting I'm up to the task at hand - which is probably actually true at the moment. lol.

But, as you described Ken, the spiritual life isn't a theory - it's not something I need to work on to understand in my head, I have to "live it." Meaning, I have to take spiritual actions or I'll suffer the consequences. Pretty cut and dry.... and pretty simple too.

Congrats on taking action.