Notices

A little depressed

Old 12-05-2018, 04:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A little depressed

I honestly don’t know what’s wrong with me. This past week I’ve just felt sooooo down, and sad and tired and completely unmotivated. Before I used to blame everything on alcohol, but with this I don’t know anymore. Can I still blame this on drinking? I was three months sober last week. And I was feeling so good. And now this week. I don’t know what’s wrong. Am I coming down off some first few months high? Is it cause it’s winter? Because my job is stressing me out?

I feel so confused. I took too days off work because I was so tired I needed to sleep in, like exhausted. And I still stayed up until two in the morning. I told them I had the flu. But really I just wanted to stay at home. Avoid work. Avoid interacting with people. I feel like I don’t know my own body or feelings. In a way this would be so much easier if I could blame it on alcohol like everything else, some sort of come down.

I’m not really sure what to do, but just felt like I needed to post. Everyone always talks about how much better being sober is! And yeah it really has been better! But I wanna know, is feeling like this a part of it? Or is there something bigger?

Anyone?
Old 12-05-2018, 04:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sober style

Life has its natural ups and downs. I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point. Maybe see a doctor if you don't think you're physically right? Overall, I'd make sure you're taking care of yourself properly in the big ways, be patient with yourself like you would a good friend, and above all, keep your mind on the sober track. And great work on your 3 months sober, that's fantastic!
Old 12-05-2018, 05:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am fairly new to sobriety but I have gotten episodes like you speak of several times in my life. One thing that helped me is flat out forcing myself to do some kind of physical activity, you won't want to do it at first but it really makes a difference once you get the endorphins flowing, it will change your mood for the better. 3 months sober is amazing by the way. :-)
Old 12-05-2018, 05:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel this way too, from time to time. I certainly did at 3 months sober. I think we put our minds and bodies through so much stress during our drinking days that sometimes they just need a break. Look at it as a mental health day (or days), I often take a few days off of work to rejuvenate...our society has forgotten the art of relaxation....

Rest, be well, and give yourself a big hug. Three months is wonderful
Old 12-05-2018, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It could be all of the things that you've mentioned, and I also wouldn't worry yourself over it. I'm having a bit of the blues lately, and it's just part of what we go through as human beings. All of the changes you are going through can put your body in heightened "stress" mode, and as you are adjusting and your body relaxes, it can result in a lull that you're feeling. Natural ways of enhancing your mood, like the exercise suggested, can help alleviate the crash you may be experiencing; your brain has been processing on overtime.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
2/2016

Congrats on three months. I get the same way. I get moving as well and I make a real point to get sunshine. Also, I write goals. I like to travel. I start thinking where I want to go next and planning. Then it takes my mind off things for awile.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

bir,

Totally am like that as well. I call it my paws/ptsd from being a drunk.

Feels/felt like I was going crazy. Probably because that is what booze does to us. It eventually makes us clinically insane. Recovery feels insane, so folks relapse only to have to go through a worse insane feeling recovery next time.

Some get meds to help. I resisted because now that is on my record and I hoped I could get through it naturally. I made it this far anti d free.

Plus, relapse on meds and it is a whole new hell on earth.

It gets better by the moment and relapse is more of a fear because my health has improved dramatically.

The Dr. is surprised that my blood pressure dropped so much in the last year. The reason is I exercise like a crack head. Exercise is my new drug.

Everything that burdens me now is part of my paws/ptsd. It is personal and I speak about it with nobody but folks on SR. Even handling discomfort with my family, work, or SR is part of my recovery. I am learning to cope as a stone sober man.

There is no mystery. It is science. We here are recovering from years of alcohol abuse and it takes years to recover. We are lucky to have SR and be in recovery. At the AA meetings I attended we had a part of the meeting where we prayed for the drunk still actively drinking (still out).

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

maybe see a doc
Old 12-05-2018, 07:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There were definitely a lot of ups and downs (mainly downs honestly) in my first year of sobriety. Maybe give yourself a bit of time to see if it's normal ebb and flow of life , or related to your brain healing from the alcohol.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi , and congratulations on 3 months. I have the same time as you and I can relate to your feelings of depression and fatigue 100%.

Some days I get so much done, but other days I am so tired I cannot lift a finger. I agree with everyone that exercise helps - but I'm too tired to go to gym .

I think it takes well up to a year for your body and mind to adjust to a reasonable state of "normal".

I tend to go with the flow and ride the fatigue out, rest if I need to, and not worry about it too much. I have been drinking way too much coffee and I know I have to cut down - think it also causes fatigue.

Good luck and hang tight
Old 12-06-2018, 12:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi, from my experience so far this is kind of natural. I had bad dose of the blues at about 4 months in. Since then things picked up and I was feeling great but over the last few days I have started feeling low and anxious for me it's the upcoming holiday season and feeling like people are waiting for me to slip. Keep up the good work I.m sure it will get better
Old 12-06-2018, 04:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Possibly it's what is referred to as "untreated alcoholism."

When I was new I figured once I put the booze down I'd be all set. And honestly, lots of people are. Their problem is drinking, and when they stop, their lives straighten right out.

A small % of people (around 10% across the US +/-) have alcoholism which is really more of a condition that effects one when they're NOT drinking. For them, those dry periods tend to lead to restlessness (inability to sleep and/or focus), irritability, and disconnectedness (aka depression). Looking back, that's how I'd start to feel after a number of days away from a drink. Interestingly enough, because I'm an alcoholic, once I'd start drinking all of those conditions would, at least momentarily, disappear. Curious no? Alcohol, in a way, treats alcoholism.

The coolest part of recovery for me has been getting free of that crap - the stuff that used to run through my head and beat the hell out of me when I was dry. We're talking a whole different ball game now. I don't have to try and convince myself to not drink nor do I have to worry about it or even think about it. That problem has been removed - completely. And, like I said above, not only has the drinking problem been removed but the time I spend in sobriety now actually produces the sense of ease and comfort I used to find myself chasing all those years ago.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are you feeling now birwin?

D