Notices

First day

Old 11-24-2018, 06:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First day

Hello. I’m new here and very desperate to quite drinking. I stopped for four days and I felt great. I started agian with the holidays and feel absolutely awful. I finally told my husband and he was very supportive. I just want this feeling and urges to go away. Thanks for listening
Old 11-24-2018, 07:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Summer - you'll find a lot of support here - it's good your husband knows and is on your side too

D
Old 11-24-2018, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Post in the Class of Nov 2018 on this forum Summer19. Lots of great support. I'm on day 6. Let's all do this together - Class of Nov '18!! There are so many of us. Google the day-to-day physiological effects of sobriety too. Great motivation. Stay with it Summer19 and everyone is glad you are here.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you so much! I really need the support. It’s hard this time around. I want to be the best person I can be a a good role model to my family. I like the class of November 2018. How do I become a part of it?
Old 11-24-2018, 07:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As I understand it, you just post something in the Class of November 2018 and then keep following it. I might be wrong about that, but that is what I was told. There is no "join" button or action. Just post and follow. That is what Dee74 advised me to do. Let me know if I am wrong about that.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Summer19 search the site for "Class of November 2018" and the thread will come up. I suggest going to the very first page where Dee74 opened it up and start reading. There are so many of us. Such great support and so so many people right where you are at - a proud member of the Class of November 2018!! Then go to the last page of the VERY lengthy thread and post and let your other class members that you are here to stay.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you so much!
Old 11-24-2018, 07:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Class of November is in Newcomers forum.

Here it is.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-2-a.html

Just post to join. It makes it easier to stay sober when you have lots of support from your classmates.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Summer. You don't ever have to feel like this again.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can’t tell you all how nice this is to talk to people that understand. I ruined two days being hungover. I’m so disappointed but I want to change it all.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Summer, it is really good to hear that you made the decision to quit.

Like the others, I recommend that you join the class of November. It’s for people who decided to quit this month. When you join the class it doesn‘t matter if it’s your first of fortieth attempt at getting sober. Sometimes you get people there that are starting afresh after having spent a few years sober. The bottom line is that everyone there is going through the same thing at the moment.

Of course you are absolutely welcome to explore and post anywhere on the rest of the site as well.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

welcome to SR summer!
Old 11-25-2018, 06:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hope the night wasn't too long Summer19. The lack of sleep is the least of your worries so don't worry about that ever. Your body is so used to having to throw itself full-bore at the detoxification process, it doesn't know what to do in such a peaceful and harmonious state, but it will right itself. Make a plan for the day and stick to it. Hour by hour. Write it down.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Summer! The November class is a great place to get support. Have you thought about any supports you may put in place a part of s recovery plan?
Old 11-25-2018, 07:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I’m thinking about joining a Pilates class. My father has been sober for years and the exercise really helped him. We are getting out of the house all day today. I don’t feel like hiding it anymore. Thanks you all again.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Summer19 View Post
I just want this feeling and urges to go away. Thanks for listening
The feelings and urges go away when you don't submit to them. Sure you will have to white knuckle your way through a few of them in the beginning, and this is where I needed all the support I could get, but eventually the urges become like laughable silly little things that will amuse you. After that, they go away completely.

Giving in, keeps the urges coming. Not giving in makes them go away.

At my first AA meeting, I was telling a complete stranger how the urges were so powerful. Now this member wasn't the brightest spoon in the drawer. He kept falling off the wagon. Eventually, he went back out for good, and then he died in a drunk stupor, but all his experience with sobering up was right on. If anyone was an expert on the subject, he was. He gave me my first solid lesson on getting sober. This is not a joke. He gave me precious knowledge, the knowledge I needed at that exact time.

He said, "Yeah, the urges are always strong when you quit, and it's a battle to get through them, but then they become...," he waved his hands and fingers around his head coo coo fashion implying, "They just become harmless little flutterbies in your head."

He was right on and spoke an important truth. His own personal failure is that when the urges were gone, he failed at making the simple choice that would keep him sober. I don't know for sure, but I'll guess that he felt like he had the sobering up thing down pat so he kept relying on that rather than adopting sobriety as a permanent life style. He paid the price, and the sad part is that commitment to sobriety after the urges are gone is much easier than the sobering up part.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for your advice. Today I feel really great. I think you are right it’s the long term commitment. Once I feel better than I think it’s ok to drink in moderation. Which always spirals out of control again.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Great decision Summer! Finding a community of souls that understood where I was coming from and how hard making that change was the real turning point for me and I am now nearly 6 months sober. I learnt so much here from some wonderfully kind, wise and amazing souls who picked me up when I was down and struggling. You will definitely find the same support here for you too and I look forward to reading more of your posts. You can do this! xx
Old 11-25-2018, 12:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Summer! This place is great ~ glad to have you with us!
Old 11-25-2018, 01:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!