Notices

Bob D

Old 11-12-2018, 07:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bob D

Hi,

I have been lurking on this forum for years and every Monday has been my day 1 for years too but today is really my Day 1.

Last Saturday I was out of town for one night and didnt drink because I had an early flight the following morning and was terrified of missing it and missing work.

I went to the gym in the hotel where I was staying at the same time I usually start drinking and then took a flu medication to help me sleep. I couldnt get to sleep so I started listening to AA tapes. I was feeling virtuous because I wasnt drinking.

By accident I listened to Bob D and it was as if he was describing me. It was uncanny. Over the last week or so, i have been listening to 5/6 of his tapes and everything he says makes sense but I have still been drinking.

Yesterday was supposed to be Day 1 and I was planning to spend the evening in the gym but my deluded mind convinced me that my legs were aching to much from the previous day in the gym.

Bob D explains the delusion brilliantly but I still have the delusion.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

and did Bob D have any suggestions about what to do to move forward?
Old 11-12-2018, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, work the steps starting of course with step 1
Old 11-12-2018, 07:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello back. Glad you decided to post.
Isn't it amazing how we find similarities in others stories?
That's why I still come here after nine years ten months sober. So I never forget where I came from.

I see myself in so many others posts. In fact, there's two tonight.
Your post helped. I love to see newcomers post. My delusional mind kept me drinking for forty years.
I had so many days ones I couldn't possibly count them.
Even with the best intensions, the geographic cure, solemn oaths and the horrible bottoms I hit, I still drank.

Finally went to AA ad was amazed. Here were a group, a room full of people, the same as me.
Of course their stories weren't exactly like mine, but enough bits were to fit the pieces together. I am an alcoholic. And so were they. Sharing their experiences, strength and hope.
And there was hope. If they were staying sober, why couldn't I?
It took awhile.
But here I am learning from a person on day one of their sobriety.
So thank you.

And this can be your last day one. You listen to tapes. You've come here.
I found if I put the energy I did from acquiring alcohol, imbibing it and recovering from it into trying to stay sober one day at a time I couldn't go wrong.

Congratulations on day one.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Kost - glad to have you aboard

Not familiar with Bob D but no one can get sober without a day one - and no one can change their life without changing what they do....

If you know you're deluded you can fight the delusion and work for a different outcome.

I think you have it in you

D
Old 11-13-2018, 12:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi

I also relate very closely to Bob D, I often listen to his shares about his life. Also the Steps workshops he does.

Welcome to your Day 1.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

But Bob D spends time in one of his tapes explaining that he has known people who have been sober for say, 10 years, who give in to their delusion that they can drink again in moderation and end up losing everything or ending up in prison.

I really understand that I have a delusion. Intellectually I know what happens when I drink and what will happen the day after but I still want to drink. It is insane but I still continue.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How bad do you want to be sober? You've got
to want and need to be sober more than you
want or need to be drunk.

Success in sobriety and recovery comes from
working and living a continuous program each
and everyday you remain sober.

Folks already living a life in recovery can
teach you and guide you with every step
you take so you never have to go thru this
alone or by yourself.

With willingness, openmindedness and
honesty you can begin to build a strong
solid recovery foundation to live and grow
upon as you begin to move forward.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kost View Post
But Bob D spends time in one of his tapes explaining that he has known people who have been sober for say, 10 years, who give in to their delusion that they can drink again in moderation and end up losing everything or ending up in prison.

I really understand that I have a delusion. Intellectually I know what happens when I drink and what will happen the day after but I still want to drink. It is insane but I still continue.
The "want to drink" doesn't go away in a week or a month or maybe ever. Doesn't mean you have to drink.

I've decided I won't drink - no matter what. That means, even if I (or rather, my Addict Lizard Brain/Addict Voice) wants to.

Those thoughts still come up, I just have an answer for them now.

Try giving it three months, minimum. At first it's uncomfortable, but you CAN have the want to drink and yet NOT drink.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

so....how about that suggestion of Bob D's?
how does that strike you?
Old 11-13-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Kost - I'm so glad you posted.
Stay with us - we're here to encourage you. You're not alone.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kost View Post

I have over ten years now, tho not in AA.
I've worked hard.

All the things I used to drink for - fear, pain, anger, boredom, fun, social anxiety, and the good old who gives a **** anyway - I have other healthy ways to deal with those situations and feelings now.

I've changed.

That doesn't mean I'm invincible - if I drink again I could go back to where I was or worse - but... I'm not gonna drink

D