Notices

1 in 20 deaths globally due to alcohol

Old 09-21-2018, 01:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 in 20 deaths globally due to alcohol

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/21/healt...ntl/index.html
Old 09-21-2018, 04:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I read this. Makes me want to stay sober!
Old 09-22-2018, 04:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jeeeeez, that is a shocking amount. It doesn't surprise me though, nothing about alcohol surprises me anymore.

I have lost counts of the amount of drunken fights I have witnessed. By some miracle I never got into a fight when I was drunk, lord knows how, because I could be a very lippy little madam once Dutch courage kicked in.

Plus the deaths caused by drink driving. The endless list of health problems. A high number of suicide victims were under the influence when they took their own life. Drunk people doing idiotic things they wouldn't do sober like jumping into water or climbing a tall building.

Alcohol is terrifying.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Although this is sad, if not unsurprising, it's more all of the lives and collateral damage that are destroyed by the death by a thousand cuts at happen when one is a drunk that I am more disturbed, regretful and saddened by.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lessgravity, you make a good point. One just has to read the Friends and Family forum to see how others are affected to realize it’s not just ourselves we are hurting.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yinzer View Post
Lessgravity, you make a good point. One just has to read the Friends and Family forum to see how others are affected to realize it’s not just ourselves we are hurting.
Since getting sober I have lost count of the amount of people tell me they know someone who either drinks too much and/or has a problem with alcohol. In England, France and now New Zealand.

I swear everyone has a relative/friend/co-worker who abuses alcohol.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not surprising but an incredibly good reminder. Thank you for posting this! Why does it seem that only the alcoholics in recovery pay attention to this news? It’s so sad to me. I keep saying alcohol is the new tobacco. Do you agree I’m right about this? I have a son close to teenage years. I’m saving all this news in a special favorites folder and going to use this to try to scare the crap out of him before he experiences peer pressure around this issue.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Not surprising, but a good reminder to all of us how important our sobriety is. I am very grateful for this forum, and this very supportive community.