Notices

Day four and dying

Old 08-10-2018, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day four and dying

Mom of two little boys and had to it bottom to finally want to smash my wine bottle into the wall and take back the last 8 years of boozing.

I am a sweaty mess , my teeth need major help, I have DWI pending, and my house is a mess and I am too tired and anxious to do anything but look at all the **** and just feel overwhelmed .... but making tea instead of going to the bottle.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Someone please tell me it gets better. I don’t want to drink necessarily - but don’t feel very much like life is worth much except my children are pretty amazing and I have been such a selfish mother for so long and want to take that time back - but I will never get it back.

I’m depressed and need encouragement please, new friends. 🙏
Old 08-10-2018, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome BMC. Joining SR is a great step in the right direction. Most of us have back stories that we aren’t proud of and came to realize that alcohol wasn’t helping one bit. Definitely smash that wine bottle and start taking one step at a time. You can be the mom you want to be. Be gentle on yourself, eat, and rest.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

BCM, welcome. You are in a good place at SR. Perhaps join some of the newcomer threads...more people, more support- like the 'Class of August, 18' one. There is also a check in every 24 one.
The first step is to remove the booze and get sober. I needed/need support for my sobriety. SR, meetings, a GP for physical, counselor/psychologist.
I was a very heavy drinker and went cold turkey once without proper medical supervision and had bad fits...seeing a doc is a must. If you can look into Rehab...it is not just stopping drinking- but working out the why's and how's. You will find lots of info in the Sticky's- including making a plan for recovery..the what do I do things.
Remember HALTS...if you are feeling crap, ask yourself are you Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired/thirsty or Sad/stressed. If yes- fix it or get help.
The most obvious and ones overlooked- rest, eat, hydrate.
Support to you.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have a dui as well, you're not alone!
Old 08-10-2018, 03:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi BMC

although it may be challenging for a little while yet - yes, it definitely gets better

No kids, no DUI. but otherwise I was in your position - I stopped drinking, cleaned up, got my teeth taken care of, and the sweatiness, tiredness and anxiety all got better.

The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step - and you've taken that today

Welcome aboard

D
Old 08-10-2018, 04:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi BMC you've made a very brave decision to quit, welcome to SR

I know it's tough right now and you feel pretty crappy but it does and will get better, day four was always my toughest one aswell. You will feel a bit down and low in the first few days because so many changes are happening so try not to beat yourself up too much.

When this part is over you can start being the Mom you want to be to those beautiful kids of yours

You can do it, stay strong
Old 08-10-2018, 04:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Yes, it gets better but at first it's rough. You've got to hang in there and not drink no matter what.

I'm glad you joined us.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is great that you are reaching out here. Sober Recovery has helped so many people. You are not alone. I didn’t get a DUI but I could have more than once. I was lucky. It was just a matter of time. So many close calls for me where I could have killed myself or someone else. Times I blacked out and don’t even remember driving. I am coming up to 2 years sober. I also have a kid and I have smashed a wine bottle! The first few days, even several weeks are an emotional rollercoaster. But it gets better every day. You made it to Day 4. Keep going even when it’s hard. You will get stronger. Keep posting here. Consider going to AA meetings. If you are having withdrawal symptoms consider talking to your doctor too.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It gets so much better! I got a DUI in 2014 and unbelievably it took a few more years for me to understand I had a problem. I too had about 8 to 10 years of drinking unhealthily. 5 months into sobriety, I am amazed at the changes in myself. I feel a million times better physically. I choose healthy coping mechanisms. I am less angry and have discovered emotional sobriety. I am still a work in progress but nothing can change unless we stop the vicious cycle. I do not want daily withdrawals again, the shakes, the sweating. Those only last for a few days to a week. After that, it's all mental. You CAN do it. I believe in you and so does everyone else on SR. Wishing you love and peace on your sober journey.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by goodbyeevan View Post
It gets so much better! I got a DUI in 2014 and unbelievably it took a few more years for me to understand I had a problem. I too had about 8 to 10 years of drinking unhealthily. 5 months into sobriety, I am amazed at the changes in myself. I feel a million times better physically. I choose healthy coping mechanisms. I am less angry and have discovered emotional sobriety. I am still a work in progress but nothing can change unless we stop the vicious cycle. I do not want daily withdrawals again, the shakes, the sweating. Those only last for a few days to a week. After that, it's all mental. You CAN do it. I believe in you and so does everyone else on SR. Wishing you love and peace on your sober journey.
I hope I am replying in the right spot ; new on this site. Thank you all for such encouraging words. I haven’t found the willpower to leave the house much and so getting to an AA meeting has been seemingly insurmountable. But even the two hours since I’ve joined SR and read your stories and read your kind responses, I already feel less alone. Thank you.

Ps- if this is the wrong spot, please someone rep me where you respond. 🙏
Old 08-10-2018, 05:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to have you with us, Bmc.

I felt very much like you do when I first came here. When I realized I wasn't that unusual, it was very comforting. I never felt alone again.

I've had a DWI & all sorts of chaos that goes with constant drinking. It's hard in the early days of getting sober - untangling the mess we've made & trying to get back on track. You can definitely do it though! We're with you. You can turn this around & have a wonderful life with your boys. Never give up.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

bmc ' so many of us have been where you are. I'm a father myself, who had to get sober for my kids as well. It gets better, you have it in you, you wouldn't be here asking for help, hoping to find some peace, if you didn't have it within you.

Stay here, post, stay strong. Welcome to SR.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here bmc....sounds like you have a lot going on but if at the end of the day you didn’t drink, your doing great. Rest if you can’t sleep., lots of water & maybe tomorrow Pick a couple of tasks to do & pat yourself on the back after you do them. Be kind to yourself. Love to you
Old 08-10-2018, 09:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi im a mom of two young boys as well motherhood and responsibility is not easy.
Im an alcoholic house is a mess everything is a mess i dont have a DUI but i was pick up by a cop infront of my children cause i escape from ER due to my drinking.It well get better wont be easy but its worth it nice to be present in our sons life each day not just exist and kids this days grow up so fast.I hope you get better each day
Old 08-10-2018, 10:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bmc1105 View Post
Someone please tell me it gets better........

I’m depressed and need encouragement please, new friends. 🙏
I promise you. With 100% certainty - it gets so, so, so much better.

Stay close to SR. You will not recognise the new you very soon.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Day 4 well done. This is a big step get yourself clear of the physical addiction and take it from there. Find all the support you can from AA to smart recovery.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi BMC. Three quick things - 1, I am at 18 days. If you’re journey is anything like mine then you’ll see the benefits really soon. Day 4 is horrible, my day 8 was much better. Hang in there

2, you’ll have the rest of you’re life to clean the house....

Originally Posted by Bmc1105 View Post
I haven’t found the willpower to leave the house much
- my recovery plan includes getting myself in my house and not leaving when I feel weak. There is not alcohol here, I have people who love me, and my bed is my ultimate safe space. When I feel cravings come or like I may crack I am not ashamed to go home and hide. It’s a temporary measure until I get stronger
Old 08-11-2018, 02:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Hi Bmc, like everyone has said above, we all have been where you are, I to have a DUI and like evan I carried on drinking for another 5 years, it beggers belief some of things we do when in the grips of it.

You are in the right place, the SR community are a wonderful, supportive, honest and caring bunch of people and they have helped me a great deal.

Try not to worry about everything at once, it just gets overwhelming and for me I just ended up paralysed as there was too much I had to sort in one go. First off do a bit of self care, have a lovely shower and pamper everyday when you get up so you feel fresh and awake. Make sure you eat well and regularly and get a good bedtime routine at the same time each night. Most importantly if you crave and really want to drink...distract yourself, I did that by posting here on SR and many people helped me keep on the right track.

Best of luck to you and keep posting, we are in your corner! xx
Old 08-11-2018, 05:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Allow yourself to get sobered up and then tackle one thing each day. I know what you mean by feeling overwhelmed. Maybe try not to look at everything at once and just focus on one task each day. Before you know it, things will be in order. But it must be done sober.