Notices

Perpetually on day 1

Old 07-31-2018, 05:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Perpetually on day 1

I keep on reliving day 1. Everyday the same cycle. I feel so worn out and sinking deeper and faster, with no sense that I will sober ever again.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Shilla maybe it's time to try something different this time?
What have you tried in the past?

D
Old 07-31-2018, 05:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Try making not drinking the most important thing in your life for awhile if you really want to quit. We can always find an excuse to pick up, its ignoring those things and focusing on sobriety (all the time) is what helps us succeed.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Par for course for most of us here. Getting out of the endless, self-imposed cycle of misery and suffering was one of the main impetus for me to get sober. You have it within you, but you have to do the work and you have to make a plan.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You will be able to get past day one when you finally want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Wow...it's becoming like the movie "Groundhog Day"!
"Nothing changes if nothing changes."
What you are doing isn't working so make a new plan.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Getting sick of the cycle is what brought me here.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Shilla, we've all been there and we know the despair and disappointment. You can do this!
Old 07-31-2018, 09:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I did the meetings, exercise, moving with my Mum. But for reason everything just seems to be going wrong, and yes I know the alcohol does not make it better. I have to keep at it and pushing through. Thank you all for the support.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shilla View Post
I did the meetings
did you just go to meetings or did ya work the steps,too?
Old 07-31-2018, 01:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

sobriety really IS about changing how we view the world, what our own life looks like, and the amount of work we are willing to put in every day.

it has been said we have to change our playmates, playgrounds and playthings. it has also been said we need to change just about everything. what we do, where we go, how we think, where our feet take us.

it's the difference between hitting the salad bar for lunch versus committing to veganism as a personal choice.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Shilla if you keep falling off, the horse is trying to tell you that you're riding it the wrong way
Old 07-31-2018, 03:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are things Shilla?

D
Old 07-31-2018, 06:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shilla View Post
I did the meetings, exercise, moving with my Mum. But for reason everything just seems to be going wrong, and yes I know the alcohol does not make it better. I have to keep at it and pushing through. Thank you all for the support.
My personal, non-certified, non-professional belief, is that the most important thing you can do is just not drink.

The early days, and if you are stuggling to get even 3-4 behind you... I just think the body and brain chemistry are so jacked up that it's really not worth worrying about anything else anyway.

So then it just becomes a do whatever it takes to pass the time until I have 3-4 days. For me, I chose to spend it binging hard here at SR - posting, reading, reading more, posting. Then when I got bored with SR I binged YouTube AA speaker videos. Rinse and repeat. Seriously - pretty much all day except for hours I was working or sleeping.

I think I did that for like 2 weeks while little by little taking one step here one step there in my personal life.

It did a lot for me. Helped me pass time soberly and get out of the immediate funk. In the meantime I started really educating myself about this whole thing - it was quite the eye opener. I learned a lot about addiction I never knew.

Put simply. Not using or staying sober simply has to be the only and laser focused priority in the first few days or so. It makes sense to pass that time with a couple of creature comforts (ice cream, etc.) and read or listen to motivational/ educational topics on the issue.

Best to you-

B