Notices

Cope with triggers you can't avoid

Old 07-22-2018, 03:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cope with triggers you can't avoid

It's not possible to avoid all high-risk situations or to block internal triggers, so you'll need a range of strategies to handle urges to drink.

Here are some options:

Remind yourself of your reasons for making a change. Carry your top reasons on a wallet card or in an electronic message that you can access easily, such as a mobile phone notepad entry or a saved email.

Talk it through with someone you trust. Have a trusted friend on standby for a phone call, or bring one along to high-risk situations.

Distract yourself with a healthy, alternative activity. For different situations, come up with engaging short, mid-range, and longer options, like texting or calling someone, watching short online videos, lifting weights to music, showering, meditating, taking a walk, or doing a hobby.

Challenge the thought that drives the urge. Stop it, analyze the error in it, and replace it. Example: "It couldn't hurt to have one little drink. WAIT a minute—what am I thinking? One could hurt, as I've seen 'just one' lead to lots more. I am sticking with my choice not to drink."

Ride it out without giving in. Instead of fighting an urge, accept it as normal and temporary. As you ride it out, keep in mind that it will soon crest like an ocean wave and pass.

Leave high-risk situations quickly and gracefully. It helps to plan your escape in advance.

[from https://www.rethinkingdrinking.niaaa...To-Drink.aspx]

Last edited by Dee74; 07-22-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

good ideas there springforward

D
Old 07-23-2018, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the great tips. I made a note on my phone today of all the reasons which I can pull out at any time.