Notices

81 days, and drinking dreams

Old 07-19-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

81 days, and drinking dreams

81 days!!! I am honestly astonished that I made it this far. This is a girl who couldn't go 4 days without drinking, and now I've made it almost 3 months. The miracle is starting to work and I am seeing God.

Every night I wake up from a terrifying dream that I relapsed. Last night I dreamt that I drunk-drove my car somewhere and walked home. In the morning I had no idea where my car was, I'd hooked up with an ex boyfriend, total mess.

In each of the dreams I can't remember what drove me to drink or why I picked up that first one. But once I start, I can't stop, and I end up doing something terrible.

I think these dreams serve to remind me how powerless I am over alcohol, and what could happen if I picked up that drink again. I'm always RELIEVED that I don't have to pick up a white chip in the morning!

Happy to be here.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

81 is great, congrats!

I know drinking dreams as well - so intense to wake up from. Here's to not actually suffering the consequences!
Old 07-19-2018, 08:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I know exactly what you are talking about. My drinking dreams often include trying to hide or buy alcohol. The anxiety from the dream situation usually is enough to wake me. Then after a few moments I realize that I am sober and just having a booze nightmare. How I put myself through the real life waking nightmare of alcoholism makes me happy that I am in recovery.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 81 days. That is amazing!!
Old 07-19-2018, 09:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Originally Posted by bringmeback7693 View Post
81 days!!!

I think these dreams serve to remind me how powerless I am over alcohol, and what could happen if I picked up that drink again. I'm always RELIEVED that I don't have to pick up a white chip in the morning!

Happy to be here.
Congrats on 81 days!

All I know is .. Thank Goodness Dreams are NOT reality!
Old 07-19-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations at 81 days! A few weeks ago in my dream I was at Elton Johns birthday party drinking champagne like it was going out of fashion. When I picked up the first glass I just downed it without a second thought, shrugged, and carried on like it was nothing. When I woke up I was kind of disappointed my dream self didn't put up more of a fight lol.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations!

When I have those dreams it can be hard to accept that it really was just a dream and I find pings if guilt popping up throughout the day.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah I got those before, was very relieved when I woke up.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 81 says bringmeback
Those terrifying kind of dreams were much earlier for me but they did fade in time - I hope yours fade soon too
Old 07-20-2018, 06:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm at like 140 something days and I have still have drinking dreams. I actually wake up feeling guilty but quickly realize I was dreaming. Crazy stuff. Hoping it goes away with time.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats! I’m over a year sober and had a lot of drinking dreams in the beginning. They are scary and strange and saddening. I still have them occasionally. My therapist last year had told me she’s 15 years sober and will still have a dream here and there. I think it’s normal. I look at them as a reminder to stay on course and also be grateful for the life I have now.