He is at it again...Need Advice Please

Old 07-18-2018, 01:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

He is at it again...Need Advice Please

My STBAXH is at it again. Last week he sent me a text stating that he was suppose to get my boys for my youngest birthday. Nowhere does it state on our current mediation agreement anything about birthdays.

I turned off my cell for about 24 hours. I turned it on about an hour ago. I received a text from him saying

"I want to take a trip with the boys on Saturday like we agreed....I got two....I want to let you know that's what I want to do with them. Let me know what time I can bring them back."

Backstory:
We went to trial for our divorce back in April. We came to an agreement with everything such as assets and kids. Before trial we agreed he would get two trips a year, time for those days are 8am-7pm. No overnights at all. Plus all the stipulations I added such as no alcohol 12 hours before, during, no alcohol on premises, alcohol testing etc. We are now waiting for my lawyer to type everything up. We both review it, both sign it, judge to sign it and court clerk to process it so we are not divorced yet. There is no current court-order (which would be divorce decree) set yet with updated agreement.

We have been following our mediation agreement from last year because that is the only thing valid at this point which is signed by judge and processed by court. Which states he has visitations from 9am-2pm on 1st, 3rd and 5th weekends. A holiday schedule as well. This weekend is his weekend with them.

He once again has came out of the blue with him now thinking that he can take my boys on trips yet. I don't trust him as far as I can throw him. I told him after trial that we still have to stick to mediation agreement until judge signs updated agreement.

It made me sick to my stomach reading his text. I have implied limited contact via text only. In the back of my mind, I'm telling myself I should have never agreed to letting him take them out of town even for the day but I'm trying to be reasonable. I immediately began to cry when I read his text because I just don't understand why he is trying to cause problems or make waves. I do worry that he will try to take my boys out of town on Saturday and not return them. He is still very active in his alcoholism. I'm 99.9% sure when he sent me this text he was already under the influence.

Advice on how to respond to his text would be appreciated.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi mamabear! Although I have no experience from which I can share, just reading what you wrote, the only enforceable agreement is the one currently in place.

In that agreement, he in no way is allowed to take the boys for a weekend yet.

If it were me (and take that with a grain of salt), I think I would just say that until the new agreement is in place, I am sticking to the current agreement. I'm sorry, you can't take the boys yet.

This must be so stressful, and I am sorry!! Breathe...you've got this!
Old 07-18-2018, 02:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
Hi mamabear! Although I have no experience from which I can share, just reading what you wrote, the only enforceable agreement is the one currently in place.

In that agreement, he in no way is allowed to take the boys for a weekend yet.

If it were me (and take that with a grain of salt), I think I would just say that until the new agreement is in place, I am sticking to the current agreement. I'm sorry, you can't take the boys yet.

This must be so stressful, and I am sorry!! Breathe...you've got this!
My stress level is up through the roof! Ugh!
I want to reply:

"There is no court-order set in place for updated agreement yet. I will be there to pick up boys at 2pm Saturday and Sunday."

I hate this. I don't want to make things worse but he has to learn there are guidelines to follow. I'm so nervous for Saturday now. I've been doing very well having little to no contact with him but he has to always try to draw me into a conversation with him. I'm now super worried for my boys who knows what condition he has been in lately. From what I can tell his alcoholism is getting progressively worse.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

mamabear

Others will be along soon who can speak from their own custody experiences. Believe me, you are not alone in this experience
Old 07-18-2018, 02:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
mamabear

Others will be along soon who can speak from their own custody experiences. Believe me, you are not alone in this experience
Thank you for the support Seren. I appreciate it.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

mamabear….giving in to a person like him is what makes things even worse.....having firm and unyielding boundaries is the only thing that can give you any "control" in the situation.
I like the statement you want to send. Short and to the point.

He sounds like a real mess...and, I think that you can expect him to push...push...push...until he gets what he wants....
the only response to that is brickwall strength boundaries....

Why not call your lawyer and find out what to do if he should take the boys out of town or n ot return them...…(call the police?)…..
I am not a lawyer and don't want to give you any specific advice....but, I think you should have a plan....with some teeth in it.....

It sounds like you have, almost, ptsd type reaction to him, from your fear of being unable to deal with him....do you have a therapist that you can call when this kind of thing happens? You sure do need someone....
Old 07-18-2018, 05:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

it might be frowned upon, but i could see me taking a snapshop of the agreement and sending it to him - just to help refresh memory.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
mamabear….giving in to a person like him is what makes things even worse.....having firm and unyielding boundaries is the only thing that can give you any "control" in the situation.
I like the statement you want to send. Short and to the point.

He sounds like a real mess...and, I think that you can expect him to push...push...push...until he gets what he wants....
the only response to that is brickwall strength boundaries....

Why not call your lawyer and find out what to do if he should take the boys out of town or n ot return them...…(call the police?)…..
I am not a lawyer and don't want to give you any specific advice....but, I think you should have a plan....with some teeth in it.....

It sounds like you have, almost, ptsd type reaction to him, from your fear of being unable to deal with him....do you have a therapist that you can call when this kind of thing happens? You sure do need someone....
I have thought about it and if he does not have them there at pick up location at 2pm. I will attempt to contact them and if refuses to cooperate I will call police. I hope it doesnt get to that point. I want to avoid all of that but there are rules set for both of us to follow. He continues to through tantrums when he doesn't get his way. I'm tired of it.

I have been seeing the same therapist for the last few years. There is a program at my work where I get 6 free sessions a year. I have already used up my 6 this year.

I do agree I have PTSD. I've noticed that as well that when he tries to contact me regarding kids I reactive very emptional. I sometimes need to get the tears out of the way then refocus on how to approach the situation correctly.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

mamabear...I am not saying that you actually HAVE ptsd….as in DSM Five criteria...I am just saying that you have extreme anxiety, by your description.... and, that is a horrible situation to be in....

You could probably get some free or very low cost counseling through your local domestic violence organization or a free support group, through them....you sound like someone who has suffered emotional abuse...which can leave scars as much as being hit.....there are many kinds of abuse....
there is also alanon which is also a support group.....
don't go without support because you believe that there is none...…

There are many techniques that can help anxiety...like meditation...and guided imagery, as well as maybe, some kinds of temporary medication from your family doctor or a psychiatrist...…

Many people on this forum could share with you what has helped them with their anxiety.....just need to make a thread to ask.....
Old 07-18-2018, 09:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

his initial text asked what time to bring the boys back. why not just say 2pm?? i understand not trusting him farther than you can throw him, but did he REALLY suggest anything sinister here? he wants to do something with his kids on saturday..........and wants to know what time to return them. try being direct, answer the question asked, and not look for hidden ulterior motives......
Old 07-18-2018, 10:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

mamabear...I am not saying that you actually HAVE ptsd….as in DSM Five criteria...I am just saying that you have extreme anxiety, by your description.... and, that is a horrible situation to be in....

You could probably get some free or very low cost counseling through your local domestic violence organization or a free support group, through them....you sound like someone who has suffered emotional abuse...which can leave scars as much as being hit.....there are many kinds of abuse....
there is also alanon which is also a support group.....
don't go without support because you believe that there is none...…

There are many techniques that can help anxiety...like meditation...and guided imagery, as well as maybe, some kinds of temporary medication from your family doctor or a psychiatrist...…

Many people on this forum could share with you what has helped them with their anxiety.....just need to make a thread to ask.....
I know that you weren't stating that I have PTSD but I do agree that I probably have some symptoms of PTSD. I guess I have been focused on lately my son's therapy more than therapy for myself. I have taken up yoga to help with stress and anxiety. Thank you for the advice.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
his initial text asked what time to bring the boys back. why not just say 2pm?? i understand not trusting him farther than you can throw him, but did he REALLY suggest anything sinister here? he wants to do something with his kids on saturday..........and wants to know what time to return them. try being direct, answer the question asked, and not look for hidden ulterior motives......
I see your perspective on there no being any sinister here. My X's drinking has always overshadowed special events such as trips, birthdays etc. I have always been there to ensure my kids are safe and protected but now I wont be. He has never once taken the kids more than 30 miles away from home. That is why I had all the stipulations added as a safe guard to help protect my kids. He knows how I feel about him taking the kids on a trip and he knows that he is fully aware that he cant do so as of right now. He is just playing coy.

That is a good idea to just answer the pick up time. However, I know he will come back with but "I get to take them on a trip twice a year." Then I will have to come back with "its not a court-order yet."
Old 07-18-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
CCL
Crazy Cat Lady

I think you should bring your lawyer up to speed and ask them. Crap like this can turn into a real ugly habit real fast if you don't nip it early.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CCL View Post
I think you should bring your lawyer up to speed and ask them. Crap like this can turn into a real ugly habit real fast if you don't nip it early.
Honestly, I'm not at all happy with my lawyer. Everytime I try to explain what's going on he cuts me off. He really doesn't provide me with any help at all. Especially on how to properly protect my children through this divorce. The stipulations were added because I requested them. Not because he advised me on them.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mamabear26 View Post
Honestly, I'm not at all happy with my lawyer. Everytime I try to explain what's going on he cuts me off. He really doesn't provide me with any help at all. Especially on how to properly protect my children through this divorce. The stipulations were added because I requested them. Not because he advised me on them.
Yes, when you said "We are now waiting for my lawyer to type everything up" and mentioned you have been in trial in April I was thinking - how long does that take!

I can't remember, have you contacted a domestic abuse organization in your area? I ask because they may be able to refer you to a lawyer with more experience in these types of cases.

You need as many people in your support group as you can muster and your lawyer should be close to the top of the list, not someone you have to drag along.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Yes, when you said "We are now waiting for my lawyer to type everything up" and mentioned you have been in trial in April I was thinking - how long does that take!

I can't remember, have you contacted a domestic abuse organization in your area? I ask because they may be able to refer you to a lawyer with more experience in these types of cases.

You need as many people in your support group as you can muster and your lawyer should be close to the top of the list, not someone you have to drag along.
Yes, I did contact my local domestic abuse organization. They did provide me with great resources.

As for getting a new lawyer at this point. I think it might be more of a hassle. I would then have to go back to court as to get a new lawyer.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

****Update****

I sent my X a text saying "Final judgement order has not been signed and processed by court. Therefore, there is no court-order with updated agreement. I will be there to pick up boys at 2pm on Saturday and Sunday."

He then responded: "Have you asked to see when paperwork will be done?"

I responded "I don't know"

This is the same man who didn't want to turn in paperwork for a year regarding our divorce and suddenly he is so interested into when the paperwork will be done.

As part of our divorce agreement. He will not help pay any legal fees so basically I am paying for this divorce by myself. I borrowed money from my grandmother to pay my lawyer a $5000 retainer fee because I heard he was one of the best. I haven't had a pleasant experience with him. My mom has helped me pay $2000 and I have maxed out my credit card of $2000 from all paperwork processed up to this point. I still have an outstanding bill of $600 which I have been trying to pay off. I cant even imagine when paper work for divorce settlement is done it will be another at least $1000 added which I don't have. I'm stressed on another level.

He continues to drive a knife in my back. He lied, cheated, neglected(s) kids, still continues to abuse alcohol but expects to get everything he wants handed to him. His text was just a way to get my attention because he knows damn well that he hasn't received anything from my lawyer or court about our divorce settlement. Its all a game for him.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

mamabear…...if the domestic abuse organization gave you "great resources".....then, I think that it would be a good idea to utilize some of them...especially, if it is counseling and a support group...…

I get it that he is a pain in your back....alcoholic and worse....but, your fear and dread of him...especially, the fear of using boundaries with teeth.....is providing a fertile soil for him to practice his narcissistic sounding machinations......and reinforcing your already high anxiety.....
You need more face to face continuous support....this crap is too hard to face alone....
Yoga is fine...nothing wrong with yoga...but, it doesn't sound like yoga is doing the whole trick...….

You might want to check out Ross Rosenberg's presentations on YouTube about narcissism and co-dependents....(he includes alcoholism behaviors in the narcissism)…….
Old 07-18-2018, 01:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

mamabear…...if the domestic abuse organization gave you "great resources".....then, I think that it would be a good idea to utilize some of them...especially, if it is counseling and a support group...…

I get it that he is a pain in your back....alcoholic and worse....but, your fear and dread of him...especially, the fear of using boundaries with teeth.....is providing a fertile soil for him to practice his narcissistic sounding machinations......and reinforcing your already high anxiety.....
You need more face to face continuous support....this crap is too hard to face alone....
Yoga is fine...nothing wrong with yoga...but, it doesn't sound like yoga is doing the whole trick...….

You might want to check out Ross Rosenberg's presentations on YouTube about narcissism and co-dependents....(he includes alcoholism behaviors in the narcissism)…….
Thank Dandylion I will check that out. I was given a number to a paralegal. I think I might try to give her a phone call. I just don't like how my lawyer is doing things.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Contact the paralegal! They are the ones who do all the processing and paperwork anyways!

Sending you HUGE hugs!