Notices

Lost in the system

Old 06-20-2018, 05:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost in the system

Has anyone with co-morbidities, mental health issues or post medical detox felt they have been lost/let down?

By let down, not blaming anyone as such but in a system whereby you have less knowledge/black & white info

- if so, how did you push ahead positively?
Old 06-20-2018, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

well if addiction is one of the ailments, not much else can really be examined or diagnosed until the substance abuse has ceased. it's kind of like a roof leak when it's raining.....not gonna figure much out heading up to the roof in your hip waders.

most of the medical systems worldwide are becoming overwhelmed.....more people, more issues, less funding, and so the squeeky wheel gets these grease. stop the sneeze or stop the bleeding. so we have to become our own health advocates. take our health seriously, and make a concerted effort to get well and stay well.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Porcetta

My issues are mainly physical but I found I really had to be the squeaky wheel to get the help I needed.

I also had to look for a Dr who was open to the idea of talking with me, not to me, and involved me in the decision making process about my own health,

All of that actually took a few years I'm afraid, but don't lose heart - keep fighting

D
Old 06-20-2018, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I began drinking to self-medicate depression/anxiety which had been with me since my teen years. I had been unable to get help for those issues and eventually turned to alcohol.

When I knew I needed to stop drinking, I knew for certain I needed to get the mental health issues properly treated. It took a few tries and some frustration but I did find something that helped me. I would not have been able to stop drinking without having the depression treated. My medication levels the playing field for me.

My advice is to not give up on either the mental health issues or the alcoholism.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you get the care you need.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses

-agreed, its every man for himself inside the health system @!!
Old 06-21-2018, 05:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm currently dealing with my AD caught in the justice system with undiagnosed mental health issues and homelessness. There doesn't seem to be much help from the social services, courts, or community nonprofit resources. She just dealt with charges of offensive littering and drinking in public, was fined $1000 which included attorney costs. So much for court appointed attorneys for people who are indigent. Tell me that when you're on the streets sleeping in a tent or worse, how you can clean up let alone hold a job. The bank of mom can't fix this although in the past I've spent untold $$ to try to get her stable. Our system is broken.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't think that the system is broken so much as that the system expects that a free people will have to use some amount of self-determination.

There is so much free information out there and free help - churches, libraries, community service organizations like AA. Use the resources available. It's possible to heal - I believe we are all born with an innate sense of right and wrong and can save our own lives, but it has to come from within.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Co-morbidity here. I take sleeping pills. To be fair, I've been told all along not to mix alcohol with them (and have like many underplayed my drinking to the doctor), but i thought that was because of the sleepiness factor. I wasn't aware of co-morbidity or the increased likelihood of depression from them.
I'm one of the many who started drinking in the pursuit of rest and the relief of anxiety. I wish I tried literally anything else.