Notices

Living life on life's terms

Old 05-21-2018, 07:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Living life on life's terms

Hey guys,
City Living & Critters
I’ve been struggling quite a bit lately but I haven’t been drinking. In fact I’ve managed to get over 15 months sober but I know that it’s one day at a time. A lot of little things piling up. On the top of the list is my lack of sleep which is really wearing on me. I moved in with my girlfriend who lives in the city. I moved out of a quiet place in the mountains so it’s been a two fold of stress added to my life. We get along pretty well but the stress and noise of the city has been rough to deal with. On top of that we have somehow managed to get some critters that have infested our place. We’ve been dealing with these mites for a couple of months now and they’re driving me ******* nuts. I think I got them when I was helping a homeless friend to get up to the shelter. This is the second straight year this guy has given me these problems with bugs. I guess no good deed goes unpunished. ****. I’ve cut ties with him because honestly he’s just a drain on me and he can’t take care of himself and I can’t do it for him. I suppose I have to realize that sometimes you have to cut ties with people. I’m bummed about it but I feel like it’s for the best.
My girlfriend and I have a great relationship but it has really been strained with this infestation. We’ve argued about it a lot. She wants to use eucalyptus and excuse my language “pansy around” with it and I want to fog the entire place so we can get rid of them. Anyway guys it’s causing me a lot of stress and unneeded anxiety.
Friends
It just seems like lately some of my so called friends have been driving me nuts. I have this buddy of mine in the program who abused pills for a while and acts really strange quite a bit of the time. He sends me texts that confuse the hell out of me. Basically drives me nuts and has been doing this for quite awhile. Can’t people look at what they write? I have another friend who I busted my ass for helping him move out of a place last minute and he can’t even bother to return my phone call or text. My buddy Jim expects me to coordinate hikes for him because he’s too busy to do it. Breck is pissed that I couldn’t make his party. Laura texts me drunk. I’m done with ALL these people! Anyway guys I know this sounds like a ridiculous rant but I just feel like lately everything is coming to a head.
Gratitude
I have to be grateful for what I have. I have a really nice place to live in, a great girlfriend, a truck and job (even though it kind of pain in the ass). On the top of the gratitude list is that my girlfriend and I are doing a big road trip in July which is going to be a lot of fun. I can’t wait! We’ll get out of the city for awhile and my stress level is going to be more manageable. Well I guess that’s it for now.
Garrison
Old 05-21-2018, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like life is offering you a teaching about establishing and keeping boundaries.

I had to get lots of these before it finally clicked.

Hang in there
Old 05-21-2018, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for that. You’re right it is about boundaries. I know for a fact that I’m not perfect and work on a daily basis to right my character defects. I think what it boils down to is that I feel like some of my friends have been disrespectful toward me. Others have just plain annoyed me to the point that I don’t really want anything to do with them anymore. Anyway, thanks for your insight I appreciate it!
Old 05-21-2018, 09:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Accepting life on life’s terms is what recovery is all about; the program helps one achieve this and gratefully accept it as being the way it’s meant to be.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

it reads like practicing these principles in all of our affairs would help.
honesty
hope
faith
courage
integrity
willingness
humility
brotherly love
discipline
perseverence
spirituality
service

its always a good idea to make youtime,too. remove, refocus,refresh
Old 05-21-2018, 04:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What peeps said above.

Boundaries and making sure to make time for yourself. Giving is exhausting. And being exhausted on top of being exhausted is not good.

I know that 95% of the time when I'm feeling all Mr. Poopy Pants it's usually that I'm just flat out tired. Either not enough sleep, or I've spread myself too thin across too many responsibilities.

Draw inward a bit. You deserve it. And hey, do something for yourself - grab a mocha, some ice cream, take a day off and binge watch Breaking Bad.... you deserve it. Let the world do it's own spinning for a bit.

-B
Old 05-21-2018, 04:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rar

I would be freaking out with the infestation. Years ago when my husband was traveling for his job, we rented a place which turned out to have a flea problem. You're right, it's extremely stressful. We had to fog, which is lots of hard work, but worth it. ......or you could call an exterminator. That might be worth it too.

Good luck!
Old 05-21-2018, 04:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey comtnman740

whenever you need support you'll find it here "_

maybe using us a little more regularly right now wouldn't hurt?
it might save you bottling up one or more of the things that have your nerves a-jangling?

D
Old 05-21-2018, 05:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you are happy with the GOOD things you have in your life atm.

Perhaps a deal can be settled between you and your gf?

Let her use Eucalyptus for a a week or two, and if doesn't work then fog?

Personaly I'd avoid pesticides, this stuff is designed to kill, and i still won't believe it's not harmful to humans . The invisible residue will be left all over your stuff and the "expert" will ALWAYS tell you that it's perfectly safe, because well he needs a paycheck.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You’re right I do need to post on here more often. I try not to let bottle things up but sometimes it’s difficult to juggle everything. Yesterday was a tricky day that I made it through with help from you guys and my HP! It was kind of comical. I was really excited to get to a new meeting that I noticed on the area meeting list but found out it no longer existed when I got there. Really frustrated but I ended up getting to another meeting. It was a tough day but it ended with a nice bike ride a getting treated to dinner by my sweatheart who got me a burger and fries.
As for the mites I bought all new bedding yesterday and sprayed the mattress and floor. I hope they can be minimized. They are such a pain and really can stress me out! I just have to remember that this too will pass. We are going on a trip in July for a few weeks. Does anyone know if they’ll go away on their own if no one is around? I thought I read that somewhere.
Thanks again!
Garrison
Old 05-22-2018, 09:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

C740

Much like others have mentioned, boundaries. That in each individual situation. As for the girlfriend, maybe ask her for her 2 cents and you guys are together now.
Bugs are never fun and in some ways an ego hit. That ego is even more sensitive with a girlfriend who is also frustrated. I would google the bug and check out time frame of eggs etc. You might need to treat every X days for a few weeks..

AG
Old 05-22-2018, 10:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yikes. The whole 'infestation' thing would be enough to freak me out. And these you 'caught' from someone? Yeah, bring on the Rid, or whatever. And I'd be calling an exterminator if these things travel off you and onto stuff.

I believe you are in AA. AA is full of great people. And full of a lot of less than great people...like any large group really. I know we're supposed to 'be of service' but I vet people pretty carefully before they get close. A cup of coffee is one thing, my phone number, sure. But beyond that I have like 4 firewalls before someone gets close. People rarely get past that 2nd firewall, but when they do? Friends for life!
Old 05-22-2018, 10:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by comtnman740 View Post
You’re right I do need to post on here more often. I try not to let bottle things up but sometimes it’s difficult to juggle everything. Yesterday was a tricky day that I made it through with help from you guys and my HP! It was kind of comical. I was really excited to get to a new meeting that I noticed on the area meeting list but found out it no longer existed when I got there. Really frustrated but I ended up getting to another meeting. It was a tough day but it ended with a nice bike ride a getting treated to dinner by my sweatheart who got me a burger and fries.
As for the mites I bought all new bedding yesterday and sprayed the mattress and floor. I hope they can be minimized. They are such a pain and really can stress me out! I just have to remember that this too will pass. We are going on a trip in July for a few weeks. Does anyone know if they’ll go away on their own if no one is around? I thought I read that somewhere.
Thanks again!
Garrison
Well, I guess that depends on what type of bug they are. An exterminator will probably be able to tell you that and know the effective treatment. Here in Florida we have a 'bug guy' who treats our lawn. We haven't noticed anything inside. I don't think they just 'go away'. In fact, they are likely to multiply. Exterminators don't cost very much.

I also think it would be a good idea to check in here frequently. It reinforces your sobriety and certainly will serve as support during any weak moments.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by comtnman740 View Post
Hey guys,
City Living & Critters
I’ve been struggling quite a bit lately but I haven’t been drinking. In fact I’ve managed to get over 15 months sober but I know that it’s one day at a time. A lot of little things piling up. On the top of the list is my lack of sleep which is really wearing on me. I moved in with my girlfriend who lives in the city. I moved out of a quiet place in the mountains so it’s been a two fold of stress added to my life. We get along pretty well but the stress and noise of the city has been rough to deal with. On top of that we have somehow managed to get some critters that have infested our place. We’ve been dealing with these mites for a couple of months now and they’re driving me ******* nuts. I think I got them when I was helping a homeless friend to get up to the shelter. This is the second straight year this guy has given me these problems with bugs. I guess no good deed goes unpunished. ****. I’ve cut ties with him because honestly he’s just a drain on me and he can’t take care of himself and I can’t do it for him. I suppose I have to realize that sometimes you have to cut ties with people. I’m bummed about it but I feel like it’s for the best.
My girlfriend and I have a great relationship but it has really been strained with this infestation. We’ve argued about it a lot. She wants to use eucalyptus and excuse my language “pansy around” with it and I want to fog the entire place so we can get rid of them. Anyway guys it’s causing me a lot of stress and unneeded anxiety.
Friends
It just seems like lately some of my so called friends have been driving me nuts. I have this buddy of mine in the program who abused pills for a while and acts really strange quite a bit of the time. He sends me texts that confuse the hell out of me. Basically drives me nuts and has been doing this for quite awhile. Can’t people look at what they write? I have another friend who I busted my ass for helping him move out of a place last minute and he can’t even bother to return my phone call or text. My buddy Jim expects me to coordinate hikes for him because he’s too busy to do it. Breck is pissed that I couldn’t make his party. Laura texts me drunk. I’m done with ALL these people! Anyway guys I know this sounds like a ridiculous rant but I just feel like lately everything is coming to a head.
Gratitude
I have to be grateful for what I have. I have a really nice place to live in, a great girlfriend, a truck and job (even though it kind of pain in the ass). On the top of the gratitude list is that my girlfriend and I are doing a big road trip in July which is going to be a lot of fun. I can’t wait! We’ll get out of the city for awhile and my stress level is going to be more manageable. Well I guess that’s it for now.
Garrison
Hell is other people. Isolation doesn't help but sometimes you really need to be aggressive with self-care, especially as an addict.