Notices

Day 4 and

Old 05-19-2018, 06:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 and

Im in a better place than yesterday except Im eating way too much...constantly. I know right now its better than drinking but, this can be a problem. I haven't done anything but watch the Royal Wedding today and lightweight TV and been on recovery sites here and there. I felt I needed something like the wedding and light tv today and I was right it distracted me and I can concentrate on what im watching. Tomorrow I will try to force my self to out and by some better, healthier high protein, low carb foods to prep for next week. Maybe I might even to start taking a 15-20 mini walk a few times a week. I know thats not a lot, but I just want to ease into things. If I run fullsteam expecting asap change I will be setting myself up. In the past when I start the getting sober process my wheels start spinning trying to take on too many things to fix, change, repair etc all at one time then im stressed about not being able to do it all. So the main thing , first think is not drink and 2nd be patient.
Can anyone recommend any decent recovery literature, especially books that focus on the interaction of alcoholism and the body? I have all about 80% of the AA litature and I have Rational Recovery
Old 05-19-2018, 06:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good job on Day 4! I think it's important to listen to your body in early recovery. Today was a relaxing day for you and that's what you needed. And, I agree that taking things slowly as far as exercise, etc is a good idea. Personally, I can't say enough about the benefits of walking. I began walking a lot in early recovery and it helped me physically, mentally and spiritually. And, I'm still walking.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In the newcomers forum there's a 'sticky' listing lots of books about recovery. Take a look.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ependence.html (Books on Recovery, Spirituality & Codependence)
Old 05-19-2018, 06:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Good job on Day 4! I think it's important to listen to your body in early recovery. Today was a relaxing day for you and that's what you needed. And, I agree that taking things slowly as far as exercise, etc is a good idea. Personally, I can't say enough about the benefits of walking. I began walking a lot in early recovery and it helped me physically, mentally and spiritually. And, I'm still walking.
Ty for your feedback...makes me feel I can muster up patience so i dont get all out of wack and use as a go ahead to pick up a drink while im saying "see I can't do anything sober either "
Old 05-19-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
In the newcomers forum there's a 'sticky' listing lots of books about recovery. Take a look.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ependence.html (Books on Recovery, Spirituality & Codependence)
Ty! I was hoping some folks could share their opinion about any book they suggest. But, I certainly will check the sticky out and if something looks decent ill look up reviews on Amazon
Old 05-19-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

you may also want to take it easy on litrature. its understandbale to want to learn, but going overboard can cause wear a person out mentally.

as far as
...focus on the interaction of alcoholism and the body?
in the big book of AA there are 3 pretty good chapters on that- the doctors opinion, more about alcoholism, and there is a solution.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
you may also want to take it easy on litrature. its understandbale to want to learn, but going overboard can cause wear a person out mentally.

...focus on the interaction of alcoholism and the body?
in the big book of AA there are 3 pretty good chapters on that- the doctors opinion, more about alcoholism, and there is a solution.
Ty, I hear what you're saying. I have read Big book chapters you speak of this week. Im sure ill be reading them again. I was looking for some up to date information also, especially from a neuroscience aspect.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mistory5 View Post
especially from a neuroscience aspect.
if ya think about it, those 3 chapters are from a neuroscience aspect only simplified.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Milam, James Robert "Under the Influence" goes into the physiology.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Here's a thread with excerpts:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...influence.html (Excerpts from "Under The Influence")
Old 05-20-2018, 11:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Milam, James Robert "Under the Influence" goes into the physiology.
Ty...i will check it out.