Notices

Getting divorced after 11 years together

Old 05-12-2018, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting divorced after 11 years together

My wife and I have not been doing well for several years and last night she suggested we get a divorce and I agreed, It has still been a big shock and I dread telling my family. Shame issues are huge with me. Lookin for stories from others who have gone through divorce in sobriety,
Old 05-12-2018, 03:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are a number of folks on these boards who have gone through divorces, break-ups and other upheavals in sobriety. I'm not one of them but I wish you the best and hope you get some insights from others.

How long have you been sober if I may ask?
Old 05-12-2018, 04:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience to share here garys, but I know you'll find it here from others. Welcome to SR

D
Old 05-12-2018, 04:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I went thru a breakup about 20 yrs ago. I was not drinking at the time, that would have made the situation worse.

It took a while to get used to a new way of life, but I did, and am happy today.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes but that was a long time ago and I was not a raging alcoholic yet.!The subsequent breakups happened when I was drinking and because I was drinking, I was not married three times, only once and the divorce was amicable. We even moved back together after the divorce. But I lost a 15 year relationship to alcohol. He gave me every chance but could not take it anymore. If I could turn the clock back I would have done things differently. Alcoholics make bad decisions. It was horrible. Stay strong!
Old 05-13-2018, 02:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post
There are a number of folks on these boards who have gone through divorces, break-ups and other upheavals in sobriety. I'm not one of them but I wish you the best and hope you get some insights from others.

How long have you been sober if I may ask?
22 Years
Old 05-13-2018, 02:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SWB

I did go thru a divorce after 11 years, but I wasn’t sober after she asked for it.