Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Giving up alcohol not all other highs.... not so sure after today

Notices

Old 05-05-2018, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

I would appreciate any advice or maybe I just need to type/ voice my thoughts on this. I had a big bbq today and am a few months into recovery for alcoholism. There was lots of coke and I did quite a few lines. It was totally ridiculous really as without booze I am not even sure I got high and instead was edgy and very moorish for more chasing a high I couldn’t reach.

What do people think? Is sober sober from everything? I actually am wondering whether I would have found today easier without the lines as I think they made me want a drink so much more and I had some near misses.

Actually in typing this I can totally see the answer for me. I need to stay away from coke.

Will post anyway in case helpful to anyone else. Also please please let me know your thoughts. I am in AA but would never tell a soul there or my sponsor about the lines.

X
Old 05-05-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Merlin, imo sober means abstinence from all toxins. Both create havoc on
your brain. Several months is a great start.

apollo
Old 05-05-2018, 08:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome back Merlin

for me sober and clean means from everything. I didn't so much have a drug or alcohol problem as a me problem.

I wanted to escape from reality, and I wanted to fill a void within me.

No amount of stuff could do that, but working on healing that void did the trick.

there's a practical side to it too - when I got high I wanted to drink and when I drank I wanted to get high.

It's good you didn't drink but good is a subjective term when talking about other things like coke.

D