Notices

The Higher Power

Old 05-02-2018, 06:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Higher Power

Btw, working on Day 5. Didn’t sleep all that well, but I feel better than yesterday. Things are getting better re anxiety too.

In any event, my sponsor asked me to think, and actually jot a few paragraphs, about what my conception of a/the Higher Power is.

I have to say, I am struggling with this. I was born, baptized, and raised as a Catholic. Admittedly, I started losing my faith in college. And when my Dad was killed in a car accident while in grad school, it really caused it to take a hit. Over the years I have gone back and forth on it. I think I have some sense of what it is. And it is not limited just a single entity. Kind of like the Force from Star Wars (sounds silly, but I see things more holistically than I did when I was a practicing Catholic).

But I am wondering, what is your conception of God?
Old 05-02-2018, 06:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was an atheist or agnostic for the longest time. I started researching a topic that I will keep to myself at the moment. Totally changed my view. I am convinced there is a higher power or creator. I came to my conclusion not through AA but through other means. I don't know if I call it God, Muhammad, or what. I just know that we are here for a reason and are special.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I was an atheist or agnostic for the longest time. I started researching a topic that I will keep to myself at the moment. Totally changed my view. I am convinced there is a higher power or creator. I came to my conclusion not through AA but through other means. I don't know if I call it God, Muhammad, or what. I just know that we are here for a reason and are special.
Can you point me to an article or something?
Old 05-02-2018, 06:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i had always believed in a God, but as far as helping me- there was a lot more going on in the world for Him to take the time to help me.
the day after my last drunk that perception changed. it started just as something not of this world that could help. i cant say i believed in that HP, but had faith whatever that HP was that it could help me.
eventually i read something in the BB that helped:
We needed to ask ourselves but one short question. "Do I now believe, or am I even willing to believe, that there is a Power greater than myself?" As soon as a man can say that he does believe, or is willing to believe, we emphatically assure him that he is on his way. It has been repeatedly proven among us that upon this simple cornerstone a wonderfully effective spiritual structure can be built.

reading that and talk with another alkie helped me realize something about the 2nd step:
Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
i came to believe by working the rest of the steps.

one day i was on a riade back from ann arbor and stopped for gas. looking across the expressway there was a huge maple tree next to a farm field. being november, no leaves on the tree.
sitting there while filling up i thought:
" i can see those branches on that tree. come july the tree will be full of leaves and i wont be able to see those branches, but i know those branches are there holding those leaves up. just like my HP- i cant see him, but know He is there holding me up."
Old 05-02-2018, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I’m interested in this topic. I’ve resisted the idea of a higher power for a long time. Like Horn said, I lost my faith in college and became an agnostic atheist. After failing to quit drinking over and over, I’m now rethinking it. That’ll do it I suppose.

I’ve been reaching out to a higher power, although I havent developed a concept yet. I’m not ready to go back to church any time soon, but it will work for AA.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
Btw, working on Day 5. Didn’t sleep all that well, but I feel better than yesterday. Things are getting better re anxiety too.

In any event, my sponsor asked me to think, and actually jot a few paragraphs, about what my conception of a/the Higher Power is.

I have to say, I am struggling with this. I was born, baptized, and raised as a Catholic. Admittedly, I started losing my faith in college. And when my Dad was killed in a car accident while in grad school, it really caused it to take a hit. Over the years I have gone back and forth on it. I think I have some sense of what it is. And it is not limited just a single entity. Kind of like the Force from Star Wars (sounds silly, but I see things more holistically than I did when I was a practicing Catholic).

But I am wondering, what is your conception of God?

​​While there are many secular approaches to resolving addictive behavior, the ultimate, empowering and truly unique solution, only comes from God, with an indwelling and seminal psychotherapist (Paraclete/Mentor) and He’s freely provided it to every one of His children. “He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless” (Isaiah 40:29). ​
Old 05-02-2018, 07:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluedog97 View Post
I’m interested in this topic. I’ve resisted the idea of a higher power for a long time. Like Horn said, I lost my faith in college and became an agnostic atheist. After failing to quit drinking over and over, I’m now rethinking it. That’ll do it I suppose.

I’ve been reaching out to a higher power, although I havent developed a concept yet. I’m not ready to go back to church any time soon, but it will work for AA.
https://www.prageru.com/videos/benefits-belief
Old 05-02-2018, 07:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me the universe itself is my higher power. We can't control the path it's set us on, only how we interact with it. It's everywhere, knows everything and contains all the energy that ever has and ever will exist in itself. We are all part of it.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My dad was a senior Anglican priest.
When I nearly burnt to death 2.5yrs ago- and was abandoned by my family (booze related), I payed a hole in my brain...it was either pure faith or desperation. My situation just got worse. If there is a god- it is a benign entity to me, however I do think there is more to life than atomic bombs and hipster haircuts. My concept of a higher power is all the people that support each other with this terrible disease of alcoholism. Here at SR...you are part of that higher power for me, as are the health professionals who help me, as are people at meetings. I still pray every night- for my family and me and all you guys as well...hedging my bets? I dunno. It seems to me an impossibly good deal to be a good boy for 80 or so years, then spend eternity in heaven with Gandalf in the clouds.
Support to you.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Three things in the Big Book:

Roman Numeral II - "Spiritual Experience."
Roman Numeral V - "The Religious View on A.A."
Chapter 4 - "We Agnostics."

My personal experience: My sponsor asked me a question: "Who and what do you want God to be to you." My answer: "Comfort."

I had to totally rethink what my conception of a higher power was. She said "God" all the time, but it took me a long time to say God. For an alcoholic like me, some power greater than myself is keeping me sober today. It's not willpower or self-knowledge, that's for sure. I heard in meetings that GOD stood for Good Orderly Direction, Gift of Desperation, and Good Ole' Drunks.

Way to go Horn's sponsor!!!!!
Old 05-02-2018, 09:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

And, Horn, congratulations on your willingness to take the actions necessary to not pick up a drink today. Thank you for carrying the message of strong sponsorship. My sponsor saved my life.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
No offense, but wut? Your life was irrevocably changed and now you know a life force entity greater than human exists and we are special and here for a reason, but yeah, not going to share that with y'all?
Old 05-02-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For me the concept of the higher power in AA is something which taps into a mechanism of action which allows one to “get out of their head” without using alcohol and drugs. Once you’re willing to conceive that things other than you are more powerful then you’re on the right path imo. Doesn’t matter what it is or isn’t: as long as it taps into the mechanism of action which elucidates the recovery that comes with the acknowledgement and willingness to hand over to a higher power. This is something that has developed over many years for me and I don’t need to think about it too greatly; I just know that it works. The bottom line for me with recovery is this: am I sober? am I happy about being sober? If the answer is yes then you’re doing the right things.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My son has whatever this "god" is in him. The purity and simplicity and gentleness and curiosity and joy that we all had when we were young, before alcohol, that's the god I want to discover.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My thoughts of God are similar to Native American beliefs - nature, living with respect for all forms of life, encompassing all belief systems on this earth.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Some great posts on this thread! Thanks y’all! Very helpful.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

"......as we were able to lay aside prejudice and express even a willingness to believe in a Power greater than ourselves, we commenced to get results, even though it was impossible for any of us to fully define or comprehend that Power, which is God. Much to our relief, we discovered we did not need to consider another's conception of God. Our own conception, however inadequate, was sufficient to make the approach....."

" With this attitude you cannot fail. The consciousness of your belief is sure to come to you." Hey, another promise.

Souns like you are willing to believe, as I was, and that is enough. The consiousness of my belief came immediately after step five. Prior to that I had no feeling at all about it. The working faith I have today came as a result of the steps. It was definitely not something I started the steps with.

For some reason, many think we must be believers to get past steps two and three. When you read the book it can be seen this is not so. It is probabaly true to say we become believers by getting past these steps and half way through step 9. By then we have a faith based on experience.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've been sober and in program for 3 years and I don't have a concept of God, really. I just see how God works through people and I see how I've been given strength to get through very tough times in sobriety. But I don't have any sort of image or idea of what God is. For me, it is too big or vast to categorize it.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by CRRHCC View Post
[/B]

​​While there are many secular approaches to resolving addictive behavior, the ultimate, empowering and truly unique solution, only comes from God, with an indwelling and seminal psychotherapist (Paraclete/Mentor) and He’s freely provided it to every one of His children. “He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless” (Isaiah 40:29). ​
I am a terminal and stone cold agnostic, and am doing just fine. Glad that religious faith works for many, but it’s not my way and never will be. I have a Buddhist practice and use the techniques and suggestions for living, but don’t have either a belief or a disbelief in god. It’s speculating beyond the data.

I used 12 Step fellowships in early sobriety for the social support and amazing insight into my addiction that people in the rooms gave me. I never “worked” Step 1, I just took it as fact at the time in my life that I got sober. I got a sponsor and tried to work Steps 2 and 3, but for me it was forcing a square peg into a round hole. The whole concept of surrendering to a higher power is foreign to me, as is the disease/powerless concept. I am doing a variation of 4th Step and 5th Step work in a totally secular way with a psychotherapist, although it is not framed as “character flaws.”

I am by no means decrying working the steps or surrendering to a higher power if it’s working for you and is a recovery method that you are comfortable with and works for you. I am method agnostic! My methods are for me and are working. I fully support everyone’s sobriety however it happens. I just wish that people would support sobriety rather than whatever method used (usually their own) to attain it.

Horn, may you find your higher power if that’s what works! You have had a major struggle with your transition to sobriety, I know you can do this!
Old 05-02-2018, 12:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My higher power is art, which I know sounds really pretentious. But I find it comforting and meaningful to learn about and understand how humans have expressed themselves--in painting, in literature, in music--in different cultures at different points in history. Everything is reflected in art, the good and the bad, the happy, the traumatic, the sorrowful. And it all becomes beautiful and meaningful. Art is eternal, preserved and passed through time. Creativity and beauty seem so antithetical to my wasteful drinking life. So that's my HP, broadly conceptualized