Notices

Reoccuring dreams about drinking... what the??

Old 04-24-2018, 02:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reoccuring dreams about drinking... what the??

114 days in and for the most part not drinking has become more normal but I have had a dream about picking up a glass of wine or having some beer every night for the past few nights. What’s up with that? I wake up feeling like I’ve let myself down until I realize it’s just a dream lol.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Your mind is working something out in your dreams. Relax in the knowledge that it's only a dream. I still have them sometimes and I'm sober over 8 yrs. It happens.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't think it is a problem. I still have recurring dreams where I was drinking. I also have recurring dreams about things I never did. As Least said, it's your mind's way of working through something that may or may not have anything to do with the narrative of the dream, and more to do with something else that is behind it.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have these sometimes, too. The last one I went on a bender, in the dream, and felt horrible for a bit after I woke up. Just dreams, though.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a dream like that once and I woke up feeling ashamed that I failed. It wasn't fun. It felt like it really happened.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Better your unconscious than in reality. In reality, you're still sober.

For years I had smoking dreams. They were always very matter-of-fact, then I got anxious and guilty and then was always like "Wait, I don't do that anymore. This must be a dream."

Drinking and coke dreams are usually the same.

I just brush 'em off. My inner child can be a brat sometimes.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I still have dreams - at least Im still here to have them 😎. I still dream of alcohol. I have yet however, to receive a visit from Rachael Price from Lake Street Dive - I am waiting Rachael.
Dave 🤠
Old 04-25-2018, 04:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just a thought occurred to me now, but maybe in some cases the feeling guilty when you wake up is part of the subconscious purpose? I had my first ‘drinking’ dream a couple of weeks ago, although had read about them on SR before. Felt rubbish at first when I woke up: guilty etc. Maybe my mind was reminding me how rubbish it feels to wake up after a relapse. Even if not, I think I’ll ‘spin it’ that way as it’s kinda useful to help stay motivated for sobriety. That is quite funny though ReadyGo to only start getting them after so long though. Who knows, the mind is a funny thing!
Old 04-25-2018, 05:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

IME and from what many others have said, totally normal. Some can be very disconcerting- I remember a couple from my first 100ish days VERY vividly!

For me, here a little past two years, I have them occasionally; some friends of mine with more years than me also report them, and there was even a mtg recently where this was the topic.

I think there can be just about any reason for them- the one I had recently was actually a "happy" one - I have a new job at a sophisticated Italian place with an extensive wine and cocktail list; I dreamed that I was happily and adeptly described our choices to a table.

Keep going in sobriety, remember that they are just dreams but might be trying to teach you something for sure, and take care of yourself.