Notices

196 days.....

Old 04-24-2018, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

196 days.....

Hello,

I am here today because I want to stay connected with people trying to stay sober. I found this site back in 2013.

I believe that those of us who have admitted they are alcoholics have the same story so I will spare you the drunk log.

But suffice it to say that my alcoholism took many things away from me, my marriage included.

Today I sit here with 196 days, thats 6 months and 2 weeks according to my phone app.

My last drunk was in October 2017. At which point I was penniless and couldn't find my vehicle. I was 3 hrs drive away from my brothers house where I was living, I didn't get that vehicle back for a month and a half. Thats a story for another time.

I had been arrested for public intoxication. Spent one night in jail and was released the next morning. I had no other options except to call a AA friend and he drove 6 hrs round trip to get me.

I decided to give that prayer and higher power of my understanding thing a try, I mean what did I have to lose!?

I started simple asking only for the strength to stay sober that minute, that hour, that 24 hrs. I ended up running into a childhood friend at a AA meeting. He gave me some work hanging gutters on houses. Not great pay but it was something..... we talked a lot about our addiction. I now believe it was one of those Creator things, we were put back into each others lives when we needed each other most.

He helped me go back and get my vehicle.... I had no idea where l left it. I had to do dectective work to figure it out. Im sure some can relate.

As I continued to pray and get back in touch with my Native American heritage and ceremonies little things started happening. After a long time thinking I would never have a "good job". I applied to work for the city I live in and in all honesty thought ..... "There I applied and now I'll never hear from them". Well the next day they called and put me to work as a "Substitute Custodian". I passed all the background checks and drug tests. (Alcohol/Beer) is my thing!

The sub thing went great averaged about 28-32 hrs a week. no benefits but I knew they would come if I stayed sober. Well about a month ago I earned "Permanent Part time" status.... meaning I get 25 hrs for sure. And I am also considered a "internal employee" now with some benefits starting to happen.

I guess I just want to say that for me I guess I surrendered finally.... stayed sober, prayed and probably most importantly prayed for others and only prayed for the Creator to help me stay sober. The job is going well..... frankly I am well liked by most people who meet me when I'm sober, LOL. And I am hopeful that I will be full time soon with some great benefits and pay!

I can get and stay sober for relatively long stretches. Since I came here in 2013 I have had 7 months, 5 months 10 days and plenty of numbers lower then that. But when I start drinking it quickly goes bad, real bad.

I had hospital stays, two times in treatment.

This thing is cunning baffling powerful.... I sit here thinking of ways to start drinking..... safely. Only the Creator knows how I am sober today. I received a large divorce settlement which was a 401k which I can do whatever I want with. Fortunately I put most of it back into a retirement fund. But I have large sum in savings and I am sitting here thinking that if I don't get full time soon I am quitting and moving back to that city 3 hrs away where I cultivated that alcoholism..... I figure I have enough money to rent a little place and drink how I want for this summer..... so yeah this thing is crazy~!!! Thanks everyone, just goes to show you this thing is a ************!!
Old 04-24-2018, 11:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 196 days!

Alcoholism is a relentless disease. I truly hope you don't choose to give up on searching for a full-time job and go back to drinking.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I love a turn-around story. Thanks for posting. I hope you stick around and post continued success.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have every confidence in you LEP.

Let that voice go unheeded and it will die away.

congrats on 6 months!

D
Old 04-24-2018, 05:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

196 days is fantastic. Congratulations on a great accomplishment.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!

Wonderful.... and trust me it will only get better.

Sink that money into savings and investments.

Keep working - service is a valuable thing.

While you’re not full time, consider giving your extra time in service elsewhere. Perhaps some church or organization could use a little custodial help. Perhaps free at first. Giving of yourself selflessly is reward in its own, keeps you sober, perhaps connects you to new opportunity.

You’ve done well. Thank you for sharing and inspiring me.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on over six months sober! Keep it up, it gets better.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations, LEP! Thank you for sharing your story. It really made my day. I am a couple of weeks behind you and your post brought me much needed inspiration and strength. Let's keep going. I will happily follow your lead.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done, LEP; huge congratulations on 196 days!

Very happy for you!
Old 04-24-2018, 11:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great inspiring story.

That surrender to a higher power can be an amazing way to turn things around. It can seem to our small, egocentric selves like we are giving up control, but we are really not.

Instead, it's the path to working in cooperation with something beyond ourselves, it's finally stepping into the flow of life, it's engaging in a to-and-fro with the vivifying power of the universe... the more you attune to this power, the more joy life gives, even the challenges become ways to grow.

There is no need for the illusory and destructive temptations of alcohol when you are in this place.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You quit drinking on 10/11? Me too! Technically today is 197 days..

Keep going. I think we're capable of so much more than we realize when we're drinking and sometimes it just takes patience for the right paths to be revealed..
Old 04-25-2018, 08:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cosima11 View Post
You quit drinking on 10/11? Me too! Technically today is 197 days..

Keep going. I think we're capable of so much more than we realize when we're drinking and sometimes it just takes patience for the right paths to be revealed..
Yes sir! When that divorce went final. I was devestated. Lost didn't know what I was going to do.

Long story short we need to believe in ourselves. Started that City job January 3. And now I am on the verge of full time with all those state benefits. Crazy what will happen when you turn it over to the Creator. Wopila tanka tunkasila