Notices

Again

Old 03-23-2018, 03:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Again

Hi. I posted this in March group, but hoping my experience can help some newcomers. I used to be a long time member of SR. On and off heavy drinking for 6 years. Recently made it to 8 months sober. Went overseas with work and thought I’d take a break from sobriety. Began drinking a bottle of wine a night (1/3 of what I used to drink) and thought it would be ok. Just a holiday away from routine. Have to admit, the first week was great. Vowed to stop. Second week not so great. Vowed to stop. Third (and last week of trip) was back to the old days. Panicking at the thought of not getting to shops in time, anxious and depressed during the day, my only thought every day was getting back to hotel. Luckily it never progressed more than one bottle (I know that’s a LOT to be considered moderate) Got back on the plane and it continued 1 more week at home. I’m referring to it internally as a slip (1 month should probably be considered a relapse) but I’m back and four days sober. Anyway, my advise: there’s no such thing as a holiday. The addiction and AV just continues where it left off, but stronger and harder to quit each time. The new ‘routine’ was so hard to break this time. I’m sticking around with you good folk for a while if that’s ok.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your experience lastchance77. An important lesson. Now, back on the path to recovery! You've got this.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for this post and I really hope your able to get through this time. This is my first time giving up and i will keep your post in mind as I have felt dreadful this week and will remember you saying it’s worse each time. Hopefully that sticks with me!! Good luck on your journey
Old 03-23-2018, 04:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome back Lastchance. Thanks for your post. It is indeed a reminder that we cannot moderate. Good on your 4 days. Wishing you strength and success in continuation of your fight. Hang in there.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jotick View Post
Thanks for this post and I really hope your able to get through this time. This is my first time giving up and i will keep your post in mind as I have felt dreadful this week and will remember you saying it’s worse each time. Hopefully that sticks with me!! Good luck on your journey
It’s really tough, and I’m no expert, but my life sober is so much better. Good luck and stay here in SR
Old 03-23-2018, 06:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're back! Give it your best effort and you will be rewarded.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, lastchance, and thereby reminding us that we are never cured.

Welcome back and congratulations on 4 days of sobriety.

Stay close.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful to see you again, lastchance. That was my experience, too - it was harder to quit each time. It was so good to finally realize there would never be just 'one or two' drinks for me. It was never fun anymore - a burden, actually. It's a great feeling to be free. You sound ready to do it this time. Congrats on your 4 days.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well said. Thanks
Old 03-23-2018, 06:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I needed to hear this today. Thank you for sharing.