Notices

Here comes the AV...right on cue

Old 03-19-2018, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here comes the AV...right on cue

So here it comes...nagging at me to stop and buy wine on my way home from work. Mid afternoon as always. Not tonight though.
Tonight I will win the battle AND I WILL NOT DRINK.
This I have pledged to myself.
C
Old 03-19-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My AV is SCREAMING at me. I am dealing with some bad nausea. Of course my anxiety is damn near paralyzing. But I will not give in. I am there with you
Old 03-19-2018, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

My AV was also highly predictable.

Do you think it's predictability makes it easier or more difficult to manage?
Old 03-19-2018, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Personally I think that recognising the devious little gremlins is half the battle. So consider yourself half way to beating it already. You can do this!

BB
Old 03-19-2018, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I suppose a bit of both....
I know when to expect it therefore I am ready but....
The 'routine' of it makes the next step to buy alcohol also 'routine' if that makes sense.
Tonight I am going to drink some cranberry juice and eat a healthy meal then try to get to bed early, something I dont do when drinking until the early hours !
C
Old 03-19-2018, 08:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Hang in there guys, it will get easier.
Here is a post by Dee about Urge Surfing. This is a good technique which should hopefully help you get through it.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...e-surfing.html (Urge Surfing)

Most urges don't last very long (just a few minutes)
Remember, you are not your AV and your have the power of choice. You can chose to cave in or you can chose to observe it and not act on it.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I gave up smoking twenty a day ten years ago and did exactly that, although I didnt have a name for it then. I used to get a ciggie craving in the back of my throat and top of my chest. I used to do a huge swallow and it almost felt like I was pushing the urge back down. Sure enough the crave would pass and life would go on.
C
Old 03-19-2018, 09:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How about trying an AA meeting? That'd surely break your routine!

BB
Old 03-19-2018, 09:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Horn...stay strong. Get this day over.
I am always fascinated by how cravings manifest in different people. I get a tightening in the back of my throat and diaphram.
This probably wont go down well with some folk as it may be seen to be dwelling on the negative but I was just curious.
C
Old 03-19-2018, 11:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
Horn...stay strong. Get this day over.
I am always fascinated by how cravings manifest in different people. I get a tightening in the back of my throat and diaphram.
This probably wont go down well with some folk as it may be seen to be dwelling on the negative but I was just curious.
C
I get a tightening in my chest - feels like I need to use my inhaler.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Horn,

I can completely relate. Let me say this first off: the fact that you recognize it as your AV is a really, really good sign that you are on the road to recovery! If you weren't, you'd simply say "hmm, wine sounds nice after a hard day's work; why not?" and not think twice. Next thing you know, if you're anything like me, you're waking up somewhere random in your apartment with boxes of takeout all around you wondering what the H happened, and how is it 4am... :-) sounds funny, but literally that has happened more times than I'd admit to anyone but my sponsor (at this point in time, anyway).

I think it's a good idea to try to change your routine. If possible, join a gym or a fitness class in your area -- that always motivated me to not drink, because I'd think man, I paid for this class, so I have to go; and I'll make a fool of myself/waste the time tomorrow if I drink tonight. Or even smaller things - try a different route home, find a meeting that could replace going to the store... there are many ways if you're willing to take action!! And it sounds like you are!!!!!! :-)
Old 03-19-2018, 01:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
So here it comes...nagging at me to stop and buy wine on my way home from work. Mid afternoon as always. Not tonight though.
Tonight I will win the battle AND I WILL NOT DRINK.
This I have pledged to myself.
C
I liked to keep it simple in my beginnings. I would ask myself when I got "edgy" if I had ever before in my entire life gone from wake up to bed time without taking a drink. The obvious answer is of course, "YES". So, all I had to tell myself is to do something I've done successfully before, and just for today. That was it. Guess what, it works, One Day at a Time.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think it's great that you recognize the pattern. That helps defuse it. I found if I actually timed the craving, it was surprising how very short in minutes it actually was. You can get through that to the other side, and every time you do it, you'll be better prepared for the next time.

Hang in there!