Notices

Why me though!

Old 03-15-2018, 08:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why me though!

Sorry need to rant.

Why the hell can't I be normal. It's really not fair. Like really really not fair. We get one life and in this one life I can't be a normal drinker?!? Ffs
Old 03-15-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That’s where you are wrong.
Us alcoholics get to live two lives if we choose to recover.
A sh*t one ( with booze)
And an awesome one ( without booze)
Must say I felt the same as you once upon a broken time.

Come to terms with it.
Don’t fight it.
Take care
Old 03-15-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Acceptance

Acceptance is the answer to ALL of my problems today.
When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing or situation- some fact of my life- unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing, or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment.
Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God's world by mistake.
Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober; unless I accept my life completely on life's terms, I cannot be happy. I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and in my attitudes.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Reprinted from Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 417, with permission of A.A. World Services, Inc
Old 03-15-2018, 09:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There are a lot of things in life that are unfair. Having alcohol/addiction problems is certainly one of them, but it's also a situation you can control the outcome of. Consider all of the other "unfair" things that others face that they have zero control over - terminal ilnesses, mental and physical handicaps, etc.

You have the ability to change your life and make it even better than it was before - seize the opportunity.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I can do anything I want with my life, or I can drink.

I only know that because I can't drink normally. I only know that because I took my life to the edge of the abyss, and then brought it back again.

If I win a $500M Powerball drawing, but the ticket cost me a dollar, how long should I mourn the loss of that dollar?

5 years ago my head was absolutely where yours is now. People on this forum told me to hang on, to put in the work, stay sober no matter what, and things would get better. I couldn't see it. I couldn't see what they could see. All I knew was that my way hadn't worked and wasn't going to work. So I pushed the I Believe button and went for it.

Best. Decision. Ever.

Hang on. Put in the work. Stay Sober no matter what.
Things will get better.

You can do this.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I can do anything I want with my life, or I can drink.

I only know that because I can't drink normally. I only know that because I took my life to the edge of the abyss, and then brought it back again.

If I win a $500M Powerball drawing, but the ticket cost me a dollar, how long should I mourn the loss of that dollar?

5 years ago my head was absolutely where yours is now. People on this forum told me to hang on, to put in the work, stay sober no matter what, and things would get better. I couldn't see it. I couldn't see what they could see. All I knew was that my way hadn't worked and wasn't going to work. So I pushed the I Believe button and went for it.

Best. Decision. Ever.

Hang on. Put in the work. Stay Sober no matter what.
Things will get better.

You can do this.

This was a powerful post for me. Thank u
Old 03-15-2018, 10:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I remember feeling just the same way. Over time I've learned that that kind of thinking just puts me in a place of unnecessary pain and unhappiness.
I suggest adding writing a daily gratitude list into your plan - this really could make this journey a much more comfortable one for you.

BB
Old 03-15-2018, 11:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

it's just booze..........

a memorable quote from the late amazing Stephen Hawking really gives one pause to consider LIFE:

“Although I cannot move and I have to speak through a computer, in my mind I am free.”
Old 03-15-2018, 11:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

For some reason, I can't ask myself "Why me?" about anything anymore because as soon as I do, "Why not me?" pops into my head.

Most of my pain in life these days comes from resisting what is and/or from my perspective on things.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Drinking is not 'normal'. Sure people do it and it's accepted,but it's not normal.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Al31 View Post
Sorry need to rant.

Why the hell can't I be normal. It's really not fair. Like really really not fair. We get one life and in this one life I can't be a normal drinker?!? Ffs
i noticed something here:
Why the hell can't I be normal
then
I can't be a normal DRINKER?!?

as far as being "normal", thats possible.
as far as being a "normal drinker", i cant do that. i gave up that right when i crossed the line to alcoholic.

i was at a local store this morning that i have frequented for a few years. typically have a little chat with the woman working there. i mentioned all of the varieties of vodka( dont recall that many when i was drinking) then she said,"i notice youre never buying alcohol."
which brought up that ive been sober 13 years.
she was a little shocked and said,"i never would have thought you once had a drinking problem."
i added," and a horrible crack problem for a few years."
kinda blew her mind i think.

i am blessed to have live two lives- to know the gloom,dispair, and agony of an existence in active alcoholism AND the LIFE i have been granted sober.

why isnt it fair?
Old 03-15-2018, 11:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
i added," and a horrible crack problem for a few years."
kinda blew her mind i think.
Reminded me of the saying " I don't care for cocaine,but I love the way it smells!"
Old 03-15-2018, 12:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Originally Posted by Al31 View Post
Sorry need to rant.

Oh I'm always saying that. Trouble is, alcohol takes us away from daily life. We have effectively chosen not to live our one life. Not to feel anything. Or grow up. Or experience reality to the full.

If indeed we only have one life. I hope Stephen Hawking is having a ball in heaven learning how everything works from a loving Higher Power!!!! I hope he figures out how to tell us all back here it'll be ok.

Keep Going
Old 03-15-2018, 12:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Why any of us...

If I break it down personally, I don't like the taste of alcohol, I enjoyed the buzz, but it was pretty short lived, the miserable part of drinking was far worse than any of the positive and maybe I have to work a little harder, but there are lots of other things I can get a natural, non chemical buzz from, without any negative side effects.

Honestly, it's a blessing for me I know alcohol and I are not friends, I don't have to drink any more. I like saying no thanks, or no I don't drink. I like this life. I don't have to have those first distasteful sips until it tastes good, I can drink things that taste good right from the start. I don't have to worry about lining up cabs or car services, I can drive! I never have to pee on an airplane again - LOL I can go shopping at the mall at 8pm on a Saturday and be fresh as a daisy for Sunday morning church and brunch. I don't need to nap so my body can have a little extra time to process the alcohol, it can work on processing the fat from Sunday brunch I don't ask why me, I say thank god it was me! I never have to drink again - and it's awesome!
Old 03-15-2018, 12:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Why can’t I be a normal drinker who stops at 1 drink?
What good is 1 drink that’s why.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
There are a lot of things in life that are unfair. Having alcohol/addiction problems is certainly one of them, but it's also a situation you can control the outcome of. Consider all of the other "unfair" things that others face that they have zero control over - terminal ilnesses, mental and physical handicaps, etc.

You have the ability to change your life and make it even better than it was before - seize the opportunity.
This!! I see people all the time that have problems much more serious than anything I am dealing with. Like little kids dealing with cancer. Homeless people with no where to go. If my biggest problem is dealing with drinking (not to minimize how serious that is), I'm doing pretty good. I'm a lucky guy. John
Old 03-15-2018, 02:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I agree with tomuchpain's comments, at least we alcoholics have the chance to be normal as with people that are born with disabilities sometimes they don't have that choice. I think we have the chance to be normal but sometimes we are too self-centered to open our eyes and stop the destruction of ourselves. Who do we blame? my theory along with my knowledge of the bible. I think alcohol is like the forbidden fruit in the garden of Eden Adam, and Eve could have lived happily if they did not taste the forbidden fruit like if we consume Alcohol we alcoholics cannot live happily all because we are putting poison into our body the similar theory applies in Buddhism if we intoxicate our body we will not be happy or enlightened.So who do we blame for not being normal Answer; ourselves.Who can change it Answer; ourselves
Old 03-15-2018, 03:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

What is "normal"? There are lots of functioning or not very functional alcoholics and addicts that think they have no problem. Yeah, got this covered. By the way, Stephen Hawking, while not an addict to my knowledge, is on the record for saying that heaven and afterlife are a fairy tale. I hope he has found otherwise. 😉 That spark of energy called life should go somewhere, don't you think? At least we should not kill it with alcohol or drugs.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

If anything is the perfect response to the cry "WHY ME?" is the mere mention of Stephen Hawking.

Not that I my whiny child inside doesn't need to be told the same thing often.

Life is what you make it.

No one is coming to save us.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Adam and Eve probably fermented apples to make cider?!? Ouch. I should not be so frivolous. D will kick me off this web site! In Ancient Rome and the early Jewish-Christian tradition it was regarded barbaric to drink wine that was not diluted with water. As if that made any difference. I suppose anything serves as an excuse.