Notices

First post

Old 03-12-2018, 02:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First post

Hi all,

I have been lurking on and off here for some time and thought now was as good a time as any to start posting.

I'll try to keep things short.
It is now 7 days since my last drink. My first sober week in as long as I can remember. I have been drinking mostly every other day (sometimes every day) for what I would think is the last 8 or 9 years. When I would drink it would mostly be pre mixed bourbon cans and around 10-12 per session. If the cans ran out and I hadn't had my fill, whatever was in the house would do. I'm not quite sure what makes me do this, I have a wonderful supportive wife, a beautiful daughter and another on the way. I also have a nice home, steady job where I earn good money and a supportive family. I guess I just enjoy being numb.
I had one of these sessions last Monday night (I'm in Melbourne, Australia so it is currently Tuesday morning here), and on the Tuesday at work I had a bit of a panic attack, positive I was going to have a heart attack. I do have a history of anxiety, which was brought on by using marijuana in my teens. It was pretty scary to say the least.
Since having that experience, I have seen my doctor, and I have begun seeking out tools to aid in my recovery. I have bought the rational recovery book, as I have been to a couple of AA meetings and don't think the group therapy route is for me.
I am looking into things like meditation and gratitude also.
If there are any tools that anyone would like to specifically recommend that would be appreciated.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys better, this seems like a safe and positive community that holds people together.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Glad you joined us, Waterboy! Welcome to SR. You will find alot of support here. Everyday we commit to a day of sobriety on the 24 hour Recovery Connection thread. It will be great to see your name on the list! You may also want to join the March 2018 Class. Keep posting and stay with us!
Old 03-12-2018, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and congratulations on Day 7!

As you look around, you will see lots of ideas on recovery. This link has good information on various programs:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 03-12-2018, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome and well done on day 7, keep posting
Old 03-12-2018, 02:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcomes.

ChloeRose where do I find the 24hr thread? I have not seen that yet, but I will be sure to join the March 2018 class.
Also, thanks Anna I will be sure to have a good look at the thread that you have linked, I'm pretty sure I have already glanced at it once or twice while lurking around..
Old 03-12-2018, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here you go, the 24 hour thread:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-359-a.html (24Hour Recovery Connections Part 359)
Old 03-12-2018, 02:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Thanks, Anna!
Old 03-12-2018, 02:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the posting side of SR, Waterboy; it's very nice to meet you.

Congratulations on a week of sobriety. May it be your first week of a lifetime of sobriety.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I didn't come this far to only come this far

Welcome, Waterboy! Great job making it 7 days. Keep it up. Like you I'm happily married with a little girl, a good job, and just quit myself 18 days ago. I'm likely quite a bit older than you (50's), and take it from me, now is the time for you to quit for good. I've quit and started again too many times, and it really begins to take a toll on your body and brain. Please keep us posted on how you're doing... and don't ever have "just one drink". Okay?
Old 03-12-2018, 03:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna!

Thanks to everyone for the welcome.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Stephan, congrats on the 18 days.
I'm in my early 30's and my first daughter is coming up on 18 months old. While the panic attack I had is really what spurred my action, I've realised in the last few days that the thing I want less than anything is to miss my kids growing up.
There's no such thing as "just one drink"for me, which I'm sure you can relate to, so I'm going to do my best to never be complacent and think that I can have just one. Good luck on your journey!
Old 03-12-2018, 11:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Waterboy and welcome! Congrats on giving up. I’m on pretty much the same schedule as you if you take time zones into account (day 8 now?), and this community has made a huge difference. Just to say that I also ruled out group therapy for myself (to each their own) and am finding the SMART workbook and tools useful (most of it is online): https://www.smartrecovery.org They are secular and science based, focusing on CBT methods. You might want to check them out if that appeals!
Old 03-12-2018, 11:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your week - welcome to SR

D
Old 03-12-2018, 11:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Im brand new to this forum today myself, 1 week sober, and already am feeling more hopeful than yesterday. I'm also not into the meetings, which is how I got here to this forum. I'm glad you are here and we can all help guide each other in the right direction. Someone told me earlier that when you find yourself struggling, just remember that all you need to do is focus on making the next best decision for yourself, then go from there. Congrats on making the decision to be here with us.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome, waterboy! I'm a fellow Aussie, also with young kids. You'll find so much support here. Stay close and keep posting 😊

Congrats on one week!
Old 03-13-2018, 05:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by darlingtangles View Post
Im brand new to this forum today myself, 1 week sober, and already am feeling more hopeful than yesterday. I'm also not into the meetings, which is how I got here to this forum. I'm glad you are here and we can all help guide each other in the right direction. Someone told me earlier that when you find yourself struggling, just remember that all you need to do is focus on making the next best decision for yourself, then go from there. Congrats on making the decision to be here with us.
Thanks darlingtangles, that is actually great advice and really useful.
Sophie11 I will be sure to check out the smart recovery link, thanks for taking the time to post it.
It's really helpful to know there are like minded people here and also people with a different perspective that can offer so much valuable advice and support.
Very glad I found this place, thanks all!
Old 03-13-2018, 05:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome! You sound like you’re off to a great start. Look forward to seeing u around.

B
Old 03-13-2018, 06:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Rational recovery

Hi waterboy.
You have made a great decision and an amazing start. Well done!
I’m about 5 months in now. Back in October I was you.
I was a few days sober after a decade or more of almost daily drinking. I was reading a lot about being sober but the whole AA thing wasn’t resonating with me.
Then a member here posted about AVRT and that was my key to unlocking the escape hatch.
The pivotal moment was stating that I would never drink again and I would never change my mind.
The decision to declare my self a sober former drinker who was never going back was empowering.
I hope you keep succeeding.
Victor
Old 03-13-2018, 06:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, Waterboy - congratulations on the decision to get free of it & have a better life. 8 days sober is fabulous. Be proud.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberVictor View Post
Hi waterboy.
You have made a great decision and an amazing start. Well done!
I’m about 5 months in now. Back in October I was you.
I was a few days sober after a decade or more of almost daily drinking. I was reading a lot about being sober but the whole AA thing wasn’t resonating with me.
Then a member here posted about AVRT and that was my key to unlocking the escape hatch.
The pivotal moment was stating that I would never drink again and I would never change my mind.
The decision to declare my self a sober former drinker who was never going back was empowering.
I hope you keep succeeding.
Victor
Hi Victor,

Great to hear you're doing so well.
I'm not sure where I came across AVRT but the idea that I am in control and not powerless to something was what really resonated with me. I pretty much ordered the book on the spot and plan to read it in one sitting once it arrives. Then probably re-read! I'm excited to get my hands on it to be honest.