Notices

Alcohol withdrawals

Old 03-06-2018, 06:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol withdrawals

I'm day 3 being sober.

I'm sweating, yet cold. And very very shaky.
Last night I was restless and sweating like crazy but I was freezing cold.
I know this is somewhat normal but how long does this last.
I'm also very emotional, I start crying for no reason at random times.
Withdrawals definitely sucks
Old 03-06-2018, 06:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Indeed they do. Hang in there. If they get too scary be sure to reach out for help
Old 03-06-2018, 06:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Remember how much this withdrawal sucks.

If you are like me, 3 weeks from now you might convince yourself it wasn’t so bad. And that you can somehow drink again because next time you are going to be “careful.”
Old 03-06-2018, 06:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The night sweats, the shakiness and anxiety, don't last too long. A couple weeks for me til I was feeling more normal.

Whatever you do, don't drink, or you'll start the whole painful process all over.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Withdrawals are no fun, Natasha. Drink as much water as you can handle. You need to stay hydrated. Are you able to eat? Maybe try some light soup, crackers, toast, anything you can keep down helps.

My withdrawal lasted a good week. My emotions were all over the place the first month. The bright side to all this is you never have to go through withdrawal again. Plus each day your body heals a little more.

Hang in there, you can get through this and never look back. Please give your doctor a call or visit the ER if you start feeling worse.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The cold sweats are definitely annoying . Hang in there. They do go away.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I started to get relief from the physical symptoms around day 4.

Hang in there, you’re doing great.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Can't really predict how long they will last or how bad they will get. I have no idea the frequency, amount or duration of your drinking. Besides everyone is different.

Alcohol withdrawals can be dangerous even close to a week after cessation. Please have medical attention at the ready just in case.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Can't really predict how long they will last or how bad they will get. I have no idea the frequency, amount or duration of your drinking. Besides everyone is different.

Alcohol withdrawals can be dangerous even close to a week after cessation. Please have medical attention at the ready just in case.
My drinking was bad. Pretty much all day every day until I would passed out. It recently got worse but it was always pretty bad for the past couple of years. I'm 24 but I've been a binge drinker since a teen. I just hope my symptoms don't get worse.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me it depended on how much I could eat/drink. If I could do little of neither they lasted a while. I made sure to drink as much h20 as I could handle, eat as much healthy as I could. Also, hot shower and major skin scrub helped to get rid of the nasty night sweat smell and clear the pores.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My with drawls have been different each time. Some say that cold turkey detox can be dangerous so be careful and hopefully you have someone around. Mine have been uncomfortable but never super severe. The nausea and vomiting was probably the worse. I have been drinking a lot for a long time. The two times before this I think it took me 3 days. My hands were shaking. I was sweating and I found it difficult to sleep.

Everyone is different. Fresh fruits and gatorade were suggested to me. I tried the Vitamin B in the past and if made he feel better and it has been VERY helpful this time around
Old 03-06-2018, 09:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 days. You are almost there.

Epsom Salt baths and meditation music help me to relax.

You may not feel up to it but I went to yoga and it really really helped.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Natasha,

My withdrawals lasted over a week getting progressively better.

After that I dealt w months and months or brain and body healng.

The whole time the crave lurked.

It is not crazy to crave, knowing the end result is withdrawals and suffering...

.....it is addiction.

Addict for life.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hopefor2018

I'm day one. We can do this.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Rar

I didn't have any sweats, probably because I was always freezing. I stayed wrapped up in a blanket, heater blowing on me, drinking hot tea. The freezing lasted about a week before I could eliminate the blanket and heater. You'll feel better very soon. (HUG)
Old 03-07-2018, 04:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I’m on day two. I also sweated like crazy last night. And I’m incredibly anxious! Can’t eat but trying to drink plenty of water. Took a multivitamin. I’m very lucky to have a supportive partner who has been doing breathing exercises with me as yesterday I was verging in panic at times. I’ve done some meditations from the frantic world website.

STAY STRONG, we can do this. Makes me cry to write that. This is my second (AND LAST) detox and last time I felt better on day four/five.

We. Can. Do. This. I’m virtually ‘there’ with you, sending (sweaty, anxious) sympathy (ha). Every minute that passes is a minute you’re closer to being done with the awful detox and on your way to a better life.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
totfit

Well, from past experience(s) as I recall after day 3 things started getting better. I too soaked the blankets when detoxing. Make sure to get plenty of fluids and eat as much as you can. Wishing everyone the best that is currently in the throws of withdrawals, but remember that you never have to go through this again.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are things today Natasha?
Old 03-07-2018, 07:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
how are things today Natasha?
Things are okay. I had horrible nightmares about alcohol and quitting drinking and wanting to drink again. I think it's just from anxiety. All I can really keep down in water but I've been drinking lots of it, and tea. Lastnight I covered myself in 3 blankets, I was cold and freezing. We will what tonight has in store for me. Things will get better, I know that.

We are all fighters, we are in this together!
Old 03-07-2018, 07:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sophie11 View Post
I’m on day two. I also sweated like crazy last night. And I’m incredibly anxious! Can’t eat but trying to drink plenty of water. Took a multivitamin. I’m very lucky to have a supportive partner who has been doing breathing exercises with me as yesterday I was verging in panic at times. I’ve done some meditations from the frantic world website.

STAY STRONG, we can do this. Makes me cry to write that. This is my second (AND LAST) detox and last time I felt better on day four/five.

We. Can. Do. This. I’m virtually ‘there’ with you, sending (sweaty, anxious) sympathy (ha). Every minute that passes is a minute you’re closer to being done with the awful detox and on your way to a better life.
Congrats on day 2! That is awesome. Every day is one step closer. And YES we can do this! We are on a path to a happier and healthier life!