Notices

First time as meeting

Old 03-06-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time as meeting

I am going to my first meeting I just admitted out loud to my husband that I am a alcoholic two weeks ago I got drunk Saturday since four months ago when I promised I wouldn’t do and say things I should to him and do stupid things I feel so bad right now
Old 03-06-2018, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I'm glad you joined us. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Deenar, glad you are here reaching out for help. We've all done things we regret while we were drinking - the very best possible thing you can do is find a way to quit and stat quit for good. You'll find a lot of support and understanding here, hope you can stick around.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Deenar - how did the meeting go?

D
Old 03-06-2018, 04:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 03-06-2018, 06:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to meet you, Deenar. Did you think the meeting was helpful?
Old 03-06-2018, 07:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome,
I know that cycle, been there a time or 2.

Sobriety is so much better, no guilt, remorse, regret from drinking the night before.

I hope you stay close and find sobriety as a new way of life. It gets better. Meetings help me remember why I am sober.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! I’ve enjoyed AA, hope things went well for you!
Old 03-06-2018, 08:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

My first meeting was just impressions. Mainly I remember smiling people who were glad to see me. I didn't take in much else.

However, earlier that day I had spent time with a recovered acholic finding out about how AA works and whether it was right for me. Easier to do that one to one, as I found crowds intimidating.

I came to my frst meeting knowing that the meeting was just one part of AA, and that there was also a program of recovery which I would need to follow.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey.

Welcome to the forum. I hope your first meeting went well (if yoh got through the door - it took me several attempts to get that far).

I hope you'll keep readi g and posting. It takes a while for us to figure out what's going on and the nature of alcoholism.

BB
Old 03-06-2018, 10:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What helped me when I was using the last year before I quit was mental visualization. When I laid down trying to go to sleep I would picture myself firmly in my mind as a sober man. I wanted to quit but was not able to. I think I knew what I had to do but just didn't want to do it. I was looking for an easy way out of my misery. Didn't want to face the truth about myself. Yet I would keep picturing myself sober. I guess it was like positive reinforcement but not just saying positive things PICTURING as clear as I could, I could see myself sober. Now I am today and the last 7 weeks have been an amazing ride. This site helps a lot too. And other things like talking to good people and having sober friends in my life. Hope this helps. You will find the answers if you look and want it. Today I did and tomorrow I will do it again God willing. Peace!
Old 03-06-2018, 10:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Deenar13, If you go to a meeting and don't like it go again to a different one if you can. The city where I live has over 500 meetings a week. They don't all fit me so I can pick which ones work better for me. I'm lucky that way. Best of luck in this.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, Deenar! SR is a great place for advice, help and support and has been a huge help to me in getting and staying sober. I hope you stick around with us.