Notices

Eating too much sugar

Old 03-04-2018, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Eating too much sugar

Hi,

One day at a time and today is another day. I am eating a lot of sugar at night and that's starting to worry me a lot too. I am not as concerned about the calories even though I don't want to gain weight. I am worried about the sugar damaging my liver. One of my biggest fears when I was drinking was that I would end up with liver cancer or cirrhosis from drinking. Now I am worried I will end up with either or both from eating too much sugar.

Incidentally I've never had high blood pressure but when I was at the doctor recently I noticed my blood pressure dropped. I hope that's a good sign. It was not high by any means before but it had been high for me and now it is back to where it was.

Agh, I can't wait until the fear and anxiety go away along with thinking of and the desire to drink,
Old 03-04-2018, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been limiting my sugar intake. Our bodies haven't adjusted to the high sugar intake of american diets. I'm more worried about diabetes. When you ingest a lot of sugar, your body releases insulin, which tells your body to turn all that sugar in to fat to get rid of it. This can either increase your bodies resistance to insulin causing high blood sugar or just wear out your pancreass ability to produce insulin causing high blood sugar, both can cause diabetes. It also causes highs and lows in the process which isn't good for our recovery. It also dulls the signal to the body that your full causing you to constantly be hungry.

High fructose corn syrup is especially bad. Apparently a high amount of it in say a can of coke is way more than our bodies are used to from fruit. It can overload our system bypassing the liver and goes straight to our blood stream without processing, which can be toxic.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not a doctor but I imagine alcohol is by the far the worst thing for our livers. For the time being, all I worry about it keeping that out of my body. The rest is white noise right now.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RUL23 View Post
Not a doctor but I imagine alcohol is by the far the worst thing for our livers. For the time being, all I worry about it keeping that out of my body. The rest is white noise right now.
I agree. I can only get a handle on one thing at a time. I worry about trying too worry about many things at once and dropping them all.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We'd been ingesting a lot of sugar in our alcohol intake. Makes sense that we replace it with sugary foods from what I've been told, read, etc.

I went into my first sugar urge period about 2-3 mo in. I have gone in ups and downs about it and right now (just past 2 yrs) am battling my *choice* to keep eating a lot of it. I otherwise have a very produce full, etc healthy diet and do a LOT of exercise and drinking water and such.

On the whole, I am healthier than ever and having a little bit rounded tummy (very happy with my yoga-ed and runner body overall!) is ok. I am going to focus more on cutting back on the sugar at night (that's when it's been a problem - though that means about 8-9 p for me bc I get up at 430 most days) as I work on my sleep.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think don't major in the minors right now.

I ate quite a bit of sugary stuff in early days. It seems to be really common. I was aware of it, I was logging all my food, and in time (like 4-6 months) I was able to cut it back again.

Give yourself a little break on this - it's not a dangerous thing if it isn't thousands of extra calories a day. I had a bag of Dove's dark chocolate pieces on hand for months.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ah sugar. So I have a little different view about why alcoholics binge on sugar.

I drank vodka. Straight. There is no sugar in vodka. There are no carbs in vodka. There is however a significant dopamine rush (the feel good/learning hormone). My addicted brain loves that rush....and because it is addicted it no longer produced dopamine like a non addict (hence things like anhedonia in early recovery).

Then I quickly discover sugar....why? Because it is in EVERYTHING. Why? Because its addictive and the big food companies know this (Did you know that the big tobacco companies also own the big food companies? Yup. And who knows addiction better than those guys? No one. Did you know that they 'sugar soak' tobacco? Yup.)......enter sugar addiction.

Sugar releases large amounts of dopamine....just like alcohol. So that's why addicts (not just alcoholics btw) love sugar. There ya have it...addiction transfer. I mean even our language 'sugar rush', 'sugar crash' 'sugar craving' etc etc. indicates a drug type relationship.

I gotta tell ya, I struggle with this. What I try to do is eat a diet of whole, unprocessed foods. I read the labels on everything. So when I do eat a treat, at least I know what I'm doing (she says while eating chocolate covered almonds). The sugar lobbies are very powerful (the most I believe...should be "Alcohol, tobacco, fire arms and sugar') so the % of daily allowance will not be indicated on the label in the US. Have you ever noticed that? Fat, sodium, carbs...its all on there. Not sugar. Hmmmmm.

I've attached an article that fits my relationship with sugar. I have definitely found a lot of the strategies in the Diet Cure helpful. But ya know, if its between vodka, Ben and Jerry? Ben and Jerry win every time!!

Sugar Addiction In Sobriety. Why It Happens + 13 Tips How To Break It. ? HIP SOBRIETY
Old 03-04-2018, 01:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I do a lot of study on nutrition, and remember a 2016 NYT article where the sugar industry payed off researchers to blame health problems on saturated fats. In reality, saturated fats (not trans) and dietary cholesterol are important in maintaining health and increased neuro-function.

Ketogenic diets have reduced inflammation and in some cases, reversed cancer, and other debilitating ailments. I won't suggest Keto for everyone, as everyone is different (esp. high endurance athletes), but sugar is definitely a harmful substance.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RUL23 View Post
I've seen a study that alcoholics tend to die early whether they get sober or not. We start replacing alcohol with food mostly junk food and kill ourselves just as fast. AA meetings are a good example how many recovering alcoholics scarf down donuts with a pop or coffee with plenty of sugar as a chaser or show up with mcdonalds and a large coke then they all sit outside sucking down cigarettes. Its that mentality that well at least were not drinking so we snack on treats all day and eat processed sugar loaded crap for meals.

While I agree with the poster below you that getting sober is a priority and we can worry about the rest later. I think its not all white noise and we need major changes all around. My hope is eating right, exercising and getting plenty of sleep will help me feel better all around, making me not want to drink. Day 16 it seems to be working I feel awesome, haven't had any serious cravings and have already lost 7 pounds. I cut out excess sugar, salt and started eating more whole foods instead of processed crap while exercising a couple times a week. Just today I put up black out curtains in my bedroom to try and help with my sleep. As there is a street light right out front and my neighbors all like to leave exterior lights on, supposedly just a little bit of light can mess up your sleep.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have read lots on this, having experienced and posted about constant sugar cravings.

Having reduced my sugar intake to a sensible amount of natural sugars I can state that in a relatively short period of time used on this change I feel much much better for it.

And I didn't find it as difficult as I thought it would be.

I agree abstinence of alcohol is priority number 1 but that does not mean ignoring anything else that you notice is a little off or needs some attention!
Old 03-04-2018, 05:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I guess I should clarify my sugar intake a bit. I don't drink soda or diet soda, just sparkling water. I do exercise a lot (except for now when my exercise is 60 minutes a day because I am recovering from neck fusion surgery). I don't eat cereal. But at night I have a big bowl of ice cream and a few chocolates and sometimes a bit of cheesecake. I KNOW that is terrible. I am almost allowing myself to do this because I am not drinking. Fortunately I don't eat fast food and probably only eat out 3 - 4 times a year. And I have normal blood sugar.

But I worry a lot about my health and it does scare the crap out of me.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Big Tobacco attack

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Ah sugar. So I have a little different view about why alcoholics binge on sugar.

I drank vodka. Straight. There is no sugar in vodka. There are no carbs in vodka. There is however a significant dopamine rush (the feel good/learning hormone). My addicted brain loves that rush....and because it is addicted it no longer produced dopamine like a non addict (hence things like anhedonia in early recovery).

Then I quickly discover sugar....why? Because it is in EVERYTHING. Why? Because its addictive and the big food companies know this (Did you know that the big tobacco companies also own the big food companies? Yup. And who knows addiction better than those guys? No one. Did you know that they 'sugar soak' tobacco? Yup.)......enter sugar addiction.

Sugar releases large amounts of dopamine....just like alcohol. So that's why addicts (not just alcoholics btw) love sugar. There ya have it...addiction transfer. I mean even our language 'sugar rush', 'sugar crash' 'sugar craving' etc etc. indicates a drug type relationship.

I gotta tell ya, I struggle with this. What I try to do is eat a diet of whole, unprocessed foods. I read the labels on everything. So when I do eat a treat, at least I know what I'm doing (she says while eating chocolate covered almonds). The sugar lobbies are very powerful (the most I believe...should be "Alcohol, tobacco, fire arms and sugar') so the % of daily allowance will not be indicated on the label in the US. Have you ever noticed that? Fat, sodium, carbs...its all on there. Not sugar. Hmmmmm.

I've attached an article that fits my relationship with sugar. I have definitely found a lot of the strategies in the Diet Cure helpful. But ya know, if its between vodka, Ben and Jerry? Ben and Jerry win every time!!

Sugar Addiction In Sobriety. Why It Happens + 13 Tips How To Break It. ? HIP SOBRIETY
Give that a rest. The OP wasn't talking about vast conspiracies. That's annoying and most likely untrue.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by elnotcho View Post
Give that a rest. The OP wasn't talking about vast conspiracies. That's annoying and most likely untrue.
No conspiracies here....but so sorry to annoy you. Not my intent.

You can google say, Phillip Morris company (Marlboro, Merit, Virginia slims and others) they own Kraft (Oscar Mayer, jello,post cereal) as well as Miller Brewing. That's just one example.

"How Sugar Helped Hook America on Tabacco" published in Bloomberg. I'd attach the link but I'm struggling on my phone right now. Again, simple google search.

I'm not sure why this bothers you but if you like googling and aren't too annoyed there is a plethora of info available. Info about the huge publically traded companies is readily available and a bit difficult to dispute.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You can find conspiracy theories on all kinds of stuff. Making the claim doesn't make it fact.

Anyway, yeah sugar hits those pleasure receptors. So do potato chips and French bread. So does bacon and puppy dog tails. Sugar is a very intense hit - I agree. I have to use some management tools even today after many years of food awareness and alcohol sobriety.

Still better than alcohol - and that desire for sugar will die down in time, just let it run its course and be mindful. No need to demonize sugar or McDonalds or coffee. It's just food.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
You can find conspiracy theories on all kinds of stuff. Making the claim doesn't make it fact.

Anyway, yeah sugar hits those pleasure receptors. So do potato chips and French bread. So does bacon and puppy dog tails. Sugar is a very intense hit - I agree. I have to use some management tools even today after many years of food awareness and alcohol sobriety.

Still better than alcohol - and that desire for sugar will die down in time, just let it run its course and be mindful. No need to demonize sugar or McDonalds or coffee. It's just food.
EATING TO MUCH SUGAR

Hahaha how on earth did we get to Satan burgers potatoes chips and Coffee.
I was quite happy hearing about the sugar beast.

I am loving this thread please keep posting.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't think your sugar intake sounds that bad! lol. You can always cut down when your ready ...like maybe have ice cream just a few nights a week. You don't have to do it all at once.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm on day 11 of my journey.. & the last week has just been an utter sugar fest !
I tend to scoff my stash of Chocolate in the evening when I would normally drink.
I'm not going to beat myself up about it though because I exercise !
Old 03-05-2018, 11:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

keep it in check..I started my diet on sat and have had 'food withdraws' Since I woke up today. I'm by no means overweight,but I need to tone up a bit before lake/pool season gets here. Meant to start in Feb,but we all know how those "I'll start tomorrow" goes around here.

Edit: I also threw my diet out the window to get through the holidays with only one focus on my mind and I'm ok with that...this year I'm going to focus more on my dieting/working out through the holidays.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dustitoffman View Post
EATING TO MUCH SUGAR

Hahaha how on earth did we get to Satan burgers potatoes chips and Coffee.
I was quite happy hearing about the sugar beast.

I am loving this thread please keep posting.
I'm not sure I understand your post, but yeah - this thread went sideways fast.

The problem with demonizing foods like sugar (or any of them) is that it can quickly become its own little demon - trying to eat "perfectly" or not eating any treats ever, or doing a super restrictive regimen in the name of "healthy" or "sober" or what have you.

Eating disorders are really common in recovering addicts/alcoholics. I don't think it's ever a good idea to let anxiety or restriction get a toehold with food. Food is food. Eat enough of any kind of food and it's a problem. Cut out too many foods and it's a problem.

Middle of the road. Eat everything in moderation. Safe place for obsessive types like me. All or nothing is really problematic for obsessive types, because then I start setting up a bunch of Rules I Must Follow. Black and white thinking and perfectionist inclinations...danger, Will Robinson.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I'm not sure I understand your post, but yeah - this thread went sideways fast.

The problem with demonizing foods like sugar (or any of them) is that it can quickly become its own little demon - trying to eat "perfectly" or not eating any treats ever, or doing a super restrictive regimen in the name of "healthy" or "sober" or what have you.

Eating disorders are really common in recovering addicts/alcoholics. I don't think it's ever a good idea to let anxiety or restriction get a toehold with food. Food is food. Eat enough of any kind of food and it's a problem. Cut out too many foods and it's a problem.

Middle of the road. Eat everything in moderation. Safe place for obsessive types like me. All or nothing is really problematic for obsessive types, because then I start setting up a bunch of Rules I Must Follow. Black and white thinking and perfectionist inclinations...danger, Will Robinson.
Yeah..That was kinda me..Holidays,several months sober,after ending things with my gf,ect...It was like I was having junk food inplace of booze. I kept with the same quit cycle of the thinking that booze had me in. Too tired(lazy) to workout. Not feeling good for mornings on end(No kidding?eat like crap feel like crap?hmmm).. My "rock bottom" was looking for a healthy snack around 9pm and there was nothing that I saw. i could have had a spoon of peanut butter and been cool,but instead of beer goggles I was wearing junk food bifocals and saw nothing. So,with my learned sobriety from here and AA, I made a plan.