Notices

Ideas on how recovering alcoholics plan there day?

Old 03-03-2018, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ideas on how recovering alcoholics plan there day?

Just looking for ideas how other's plans there day to stay sober?
Old 03-03-2018, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mine is trying to spend as much time in the fresh air ie walking with the dogs or pottering in the garden as it lifts my mood, I always try to keep busy doing something good luck
Old 03-03-2018, 12:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'll try to be as concise as possible. I just past two years and have had largely the same basis of my routine, adding things along the way as my recovery grows stronger:

First thing in the morning (and I allow an hour and a half before I need to leave the house, so 430 wake up for 6am yoga). I do six recovery/spiritual based things: visit SR, ask myself HALT, read the exploratory devotional from Friar Richard Rohr of the CAC (you can look him up and get daily/weekly/monthly emails- he is fantastic IMO), read a shared Bible App plan w my husband, and read pp 84-88 and 417-418 of the BB.

I'm in AA so my sweet spot (right now) is 3-4 meetings a week (If for some reason I get to 1-2 I self correct the next wk) plus the recovery mtg I lead (non NA or AA so we can promote and so all people are in the F&B industry are more open to getting help through us), but all four of us the board of the non-profit are AA people).

I do hot yoga 60-90 min, 5-6 times a week. On my day off I usually run a couple miles. I've been doing the yoga like this since last Sep and it's amazing how much I love an dbenefit from it. Goes on my schedule daily just like AA mtgs.

I work a few shifts a week at a restaurant and I run the non-profit I mentioned above, for Atlanta.

I read books from people like Brene Brown, articles on health, recovery, anything GOOD to know. I only spend time with people who are trying to live their best lives. I touch base with close friends every day or few days.

I have a wonderful husband and a stepdaughter I adore who lives with us. With an almost 16 yr old and a husband with a big job, we've got a lot going on any given day.

All or most of that composes any given day of my life. I forgot prayer, which I usually have as a running convo with God. I also take a nap most days since I got up at 430

All this is just....what I do. And I am so grateful to be able to do it.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As Mummy said, I try to spend time outside as much as possible if the weather is nice. Which, for me, means jogging about 3-4 times per week. The other days are spent with dumbbells (iron, not human), so I guess the point there is getting exercise daily

I also spend time on SR daily for about an hour and also aim to put in an hour or so on my woodworking sideline. And of course there's The Day Job to attend to. I'm not naturally spontaneous, so settling into a routine was easy for me and was very helpful in the early days of sobriety.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In very early days I visualized every thing. Life threw a few curves in and I learned the best laid plans... all my software integrates to my calendar, keeps business and personal straight.
I have embraced sobriety as the only way for me to live. There is no room for alcohol in my life.

Right now we are entering ballet exams and recitals, hockey is winding down, we sold our property and bought a new one, so cleaning our barn, moving the horses to their temp home, meeting with architects and engineers for the new barn...

I keep busy and looking to the future. I still visualize although not daily items.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I never had much of a plan in early recovery other than saying, “I will not drink today!” No matter what, I wouldn’t Drink today. When my AV would show up, I would do anything to distract my thoughts. Most effective was exercise.