Notices

Never thought I’d be here

Old 03-04-2018, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Never thought I’d be here

It’s sunday morning, and I’m up and clear headed. It’s my first weekend to not have had alcohol in years.

Shame and regret and being hungover, where are you? That’s right, you’re at the bottom of some empty bottle, but it’s not in my trash can. No, today I have peace. The peace is the most extravagant present I’ve ever received. It’s pure and unadulterated.

I’m liberated from a very demanding slave master. That master is cruel and deceptive. It told me for years that if I only submitted to it, therein would lie my abundance, my sustenance, my release. Nothing could be more false. It was a prison without windows. Sure, the master gave me the promise that the deeply pleasurable buzz would not only last but would be consequence-free. But did I not get one hundred fold back in sickness, fear, regret, and obsession? It promises the world yet only consumes. It preyed upon me, telling me it was good, only to conceal it was devouring my spirit, my mind, and certainly my body.

Abundance is here in this way of life. Abundance is the creative thoughts flowing, the mornings in nature, the childlike excitement of what this day will bring, the possibilities of growth, the expectation of good things.

Truly, in this place, my cup runneth over. GRATEFUL for deliverance from obsession and the return of who and what God created me to be.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear you are finding peace rungirl, congrats and thanks for sharing a great message!
Old 03-04-2018, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You’re on a roll, keep going!
Old 03-04-2018, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So happy that you have found peace and recovery. Your writing is very beautiful.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Inspiring and so true!
Old 03-04-2018, 10:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rungirl2018 View Post
I’m liberated from a very demanding slave master. That master is cruel and deceptive. It told me for years that if I only submitted to it, therein would lie my abundance, my sustenance, my release. Nothing could be more false. It was a prison without windows. Sure, the master gave me the promise that the deeply pleasurable buzz would not only last but would be consequence-free. But did I not get one hundred fold back in sickness, fear, regret, and obsession? It promises the world yet only consumes. It preyed upon me, telling me it was good, only to conceal it was devouring my spirit, my mind, and certainly my body.
Hey, this part really resonated with me. I was thinking similar things as I was cleaning up my house earlier today. It's an evil I don't have words for. In the process of cleaning I literally saw years of neglect and the silent cancer eating my life from the inside out.

I mean - there's always the in your face aspect of this disease. But I think it's the silent, behind the scenes, virtually un-noticeable erosion of our lives - physical, emotional, and spiritual - that's the real killer. It's dark. It's hell.

Thank you for your words in my thread earlier.

You got this.

-B
Old 03-04-2018, 10:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for this - it's an inspiration for us all!
Old 03-04-2018, 11:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Congrats on your new life of peace 🤗
It was the weekends that were the worst for me in the beginning, but the feeling after my first entire weekend sober was AMAZING! So happy for you to experience this as well. Let's do it again next week 😎
Old 03-04-2018, 11:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What a lovely post, thank you Rungirl. I have come to love the weekends in sobriety. They seem longer and more relaxed. Keep going!!