Notices

AA Big wake up Call

Old 02-26-2018, 11:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA Big wake up Call

Last night at the meeting it was discussed how one cannot go on drinking forever and ever without suffering consequences. It can be liver failure, dementia pancreatitis to name but à few. For me I have been diagnosed that it has affected my Sense of balance and therefore my walking. I need to never take another drink but can only do this a day at a time. They talked about people who tried AA and were now dead as they failed to get the principles. I really need to get this as I have already been drinking 15 years. That's a long time for a woman. One guy picked up a drink and it took 4 years to make it back. I guess I am trying to say that I am scared I won't make it.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I realised it's that fear they will pick up a drink that drives people to go to AA regularly or daily.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I doubted my sobriety, I did relapse a couple times. This time around, I am very confident in my recovery, as I do not want to be the person I was while drinking, she was a self-absorbed drama queen, ick, not who I am.
So,
I know for sure 1 thing, I have TODAY and for TODAY I will not drink. I make a deal everyday, and it is that simple (for me).

I pray you are able to see the goodness sobriety has to offer
I hope you are able to experience the benefits of sobriety (this is not an instant gratification process, it takes time to heal)
After everything you have been through, when you have some time under your belt you are going to be able to help someone who was struggling just like yourself, and that is so much more rewarding!!!

Keep going back! I see you are working 90 meetings in 90 days. I pray you stick with it!

Blessings.
DC
Old 02-26-2018, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey DC. Hopefully in time I will feel more secure in sobriety.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
I realised it's that fear they will pick up a drink that drives people to go to AA regularly or daily.
It’s not fear for me. It’s strength.

Strength in living a balanced and abundant life. AA helps me with that as one of many tools.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, if that fear brings about willingness and makes us teachable I suppose we can put it to good use.

I'm so pleased that you're working on your recovery. Stick with those people you meet there who seem to have found the answer. The winners. The ones that the promises are coming true for. And learn from those people - a lot of this is just monkey-see, monkey-do in the early stages. Was for me anyway.

If you really want this you can get it. When you feel scared to do as suggested, take a leap of faith and lean into that fear. As long as the suggestion is coming from someone who is working a successful program. Those people can and will guide us.

Wishing you all the best for your continuing sobriety and recovery SC.

BB
Old 02-26-2018, 12:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I also had walking and balance issues, which were pretty severe when I started inpatient rehab. As well as some cognitive issues.

I still have some memory lapses and balance issues 9 months later. They are still slowly decreasing with engagement and exercise, but I think there will be there in decreasing degrees forever, but they will not really affect my life. Guessing neurological consequences from the beginning of Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome, or wet brain.

If I'd kept drinking I could have ended up with serious WK and be in assisted care until a premature death.

Yet another reason not to drink. A pretty strong one, but by far the only one.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My father has WK. He was forced to moderate his drinking about 10 years ago because he can't drive. The body is amazing because it hasn't progressed terribly and he's 86....amaze-balls! Of course, he molts like a snake, has club feet, can't walk well, and can't remember what he said 30 seconds after saying it. But he's alive, smiling....and counting the moments he is allowed his 2 glasses of wine each day. Ugh.

Anyway, I think its pretty well known that long term vitamin B1 deficiency is the main culprit in WK and many other neurological problems associated with drinking. Maybe you guys should talk to your drs about B1 supplementation....as well as other B vits. Amino's too. But of course, with a drs. direction.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
I also had walking and balance issues, which were pretty severe when I started inpatient rehab. As well as some cognitive issues.

I still have some memory lapses and balance issues 9 months later. They are still slowly decreasing with engagement and exercise, but I think there will be there in decreasing degrees forever, but they will not really affect my life. Guessing neurological consequences from the beginning of Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome, or wet brain.

If I'd kept drinking I could have ended up with serious WK and be in assisted care until a premature death.

Yet another reason not to drink. A pretty strong one, but by far the only one.
Wow Mindful I never thought about needing assisted care. It's great that it has improved over time. A huge reason not to drink.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
My father has WK. He was forced to moderate his drinking about 10 years ago because he can't drive. The body is amazing because it hasn't progressed terribly and he's 86....amaze-balls! Of course, he molts like a snake, has club feet, can't walk well, and can't remember what he said 30 seconds after saying it. But he's alive, smiling....and counting the moments he is allowed his 2 glasses of wine each day. Ugh.

Anyway, I think its pretty well known that long term vitamin B1 deficiency is the main culprit in WK and many other neurological problems associated with drinking. Maybe you guys should talk to your drs about B1 supplementation....as well as other B vits. Amino's too. But of course, with a drs. direction.
Thanks Flip. I am seeing my doctor today so I will ask. Bit scary about your father.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try and not be overwhelmed by thinking too far ahead Sweetichick - you're doing great right now

D
Old 02-26-2018, 03:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post

Am discussing this with my doc at my physical tomorrow.

In my last binge I was barely eating, and had horrible gastritis that kept me vomiting and with chronic runs. I’m sure I was malnourished in a lot of things, including thiamine and the rest of the B vitamins.

I started multivitamin and B complex supplementation in rehab, as well as a walking routine. I have continued the supplementation.

The diagnosis was from me and Dr. Google, but the staggering gait and memory lapses are classic symptoms.

If it was WK I think it was at a very early stage, and I stooped drinking and started supplementation, so it regressed almost totally.

Still, I think I dodged a bullet.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was booze free from '04 to '06. Then I wasn't and it gradually got worse. Blackouts, assery, DUI, then another DUI with a wreck. Thank God I didn't kill someone.

I can say it's difficult for me to realize that even with the bad situation I created for myself I still have my health and I'm aware there are others out there that don't have that anymore. Must make it that much tougher.

As for recovery. I just started studying the steps yesterday. Going to my first AA meeting tomorrow. For me, I found at least some relief for awhile last night when I caved hard (sorry, not to booze - to my own stubbornness and need to control things) and just admitted to myself as deep as I can right now that I have no control or power over alcohol or other chemicals. What's curious to me is why it's still such a big deal. I mean - I don't do well with coconut, but do I obsess over not being able to have coconut? Hell no. I don't ever think about it.

What's that tell us?

Stick with this. I'm only on day 3 so definitely still don't know my butt from a hole in the ground but I'm trying. Stick with it I'd enjoy seeing someone else get through this in roughly the same time frame.