Notices

Fiorinal with Codeine

Old 02-09-2018, 08:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fiorinal with Codeine

Hi Everyone,
I am brand new to this site. I have been taking Fiorinal and Codeine for 30 years. I took 14, sometimes more, for years and years. In June 2014, I quit getting “extra,” and reduced to six a day as prescribed. On January 19, 2018 I decided to start a taper plan. (Another very long story.) Anyway, I reduced to four. I stayed at four for eighteen days. On February 6, I reduced to three. Four was do able, even though it was hard for the first week or so. Three is extremely hard. I would love to hear anyone’s experiences. I really need a support group. Thank you for listening.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome SMLangley

I have no experience with codeine withdrawal but others will. Good to have you join us

D
Old 02-09-2018, 09:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

To Dee 74

Thank you so much. It feels so good to know that I can be a part of this forum. I have looked fo the past two weeks, trying to find a good forum. I appreciate your kind words.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

any time. This is a good place

D
Old 02-09-2018, 09:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum SMAngley👋 I have no experience with prescription meds but I’ve been sober five months and SR has really helped😀
Old 02-10-2018, 12:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Are you working with a doctor? Who has been prescribing it to you?

They may well have a method and plan for cessation.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi there,
No. I did not want to tell my doctor. He will not be available after June and if I told him now, he might quit giving them to me. Then I would not be able to follow my taper plan. That was what caused me to start doing the taper plan to begin with. I can only get these until June. Then I can never get them again.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

You have a far greater chance for success if you do a medically supervised taper.

You have been an addict for a long time, you're now making excuses to use until June with continued availability through then, and tapering in secret with no accountability to.anyone. Self tapering rarely works in the long term. You are also making a huge assumption that you won't be able to obtain codeine after your prescription with your current doctor runs out.

If you really want to stop and get sober you wouldnt bargain with your drug of choice like you are doing.

If you want to pursue this as your sobriety plan good luck. I hope it works.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, glad you are reaching out.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you found us. Reaching out for support is always helpful. It does seem like it would be best to talk to your dr and have him help you taper.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for all of the comments. I am not making excuses. The Codeine is really the least of my worries. The Fiorinal is what scares me. I have done the research. A person cannot stop cold turkey on a barbiturate., especially after 30 years. The withdrawal symptoms are seizures and even death. Codeine, on the other hand, is hard to quit, but at least a person will not die doing it. This is not my excuse to keep using. My research from many forums shows that doctors have been known to stop prescribing for whatever reason. With such consequences, I can’t take that chance. I think I am doing very well taking only three a day after a 30 year addiction. Today is Day five of three. On March 6, I will reduce to two. The following month I will reduce to 1 1/2. Then one. Then none. This is not a lot of fun. Taking three, down from my habit of 14 daily four years ago, is a significant reduction. I won’t be looking for medication once I safely get off of this one. Thanks for your support.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Old 02-10-2018, 06:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well done, SM, stay strong.
What an amazing accomplishment that you're taking charge of this addition.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

As crazy as it sounds, I really needed to hear that Cleomie! Thank you.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SMLangley View Post
As crazy as it sounds, I really needed to hear that Cleomie! Thank you.
Day 7 of three a day. Yesterday was so hard. I don’t know why the 6th day, each time I reduce is the hardest. But today was much, much better. It feels good being accountable to myself. I can do this!
Old 02-12-2018, 05:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
You have a far greater chance for success if you do a medically supervised taper.

You have been an addict for a long time, you're now making excuses to use until June with continued availability through then, and tapering in secret with no accountability to.anyone. Self tapering rarely works in the long term. You are also making a huge assumption that you won't be able to obtain codeine after your prescription with your current doctor runs out.

If you really want to stop and get sober you wouldnt bargain with your drug of choice like you are doing.

If you want to pursue this as your sobriety plan good luck. I hope it works.
I am accountable to myself. If I cannot be accountable to myself, then I certainly can’t be accountable to anyone else. Thanks!