Notices

Honesty

Old 11-02-2004, 01:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doug

Honesty

Honesty is stronger medicine than sympathy, which may console but often conceals.
--Gretel Ehrlich

We owe our brothers and sisters in this program our honest feedback. And we need the same honesty from them. There are times in meetings when it would be easiest to give someone sympathy and privately mutter to ourselves, "He isn't facing the bitter truth." That sympathy avoids a confrontation, but it doesn't give the healing medicine of honesty. In the same way, we may long, at times, for someone to give us warm strokes, and what they give instead is a bitter pill.

The most important thing we have to give one another is the truth of what we see and hear. We don't have to tell them what to do. We don't have to have all the right answers. But we do have the obligation to speak up about how things look to us. And we need to listen without defensiveness when others are honest with us.

Today, I will say what I see and hear. I will listen to other people's honesty with me.

Old 11-02-2004, 02:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post. I often can't see what is wrong with me, given the sick mind I use to view me with.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Doug

Originally Posted by DrFrier
I often can't see what is wrong with me, given the sick mind I use to view me with.
I like to say, "I can't fix my own thinking with my own thinking."

Old 11-02-2004, 03:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

"I can't fix my own thinking with my own thinking."
I like that

The most important thing we have to give one another is the truth of what we see and hear
I also like that
Old 11-02-2004, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Honesty,Openmindness,and Willingness.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Everyone, I still, at times, find my nose out of joint when someone tells me what I know but, don't want the hear. I'd let one statement decide how my relationship with someone would proceed. I don't know about you but, resentment and revenge soon followed and consumed me. Don W