Notices

New, scared, determined and still drinking

Old 11-02-2004, 02:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lui

New, scared, determined and still drinking

Yesterday, I told my counselor how much I drank, and she kindly and directly told me I was an alcoholic. I already knew this. She said we couldn't go on with any other issues until we had tackled this one. So, I told my husband of my talk, and my decisions, made an appt. to see my Dr. on Friday, did research on-line, and found this site. I'm a nurse, and also a researcher, so of course I go (obsessively) searching for resources. I found a list of local AA mtgs. THAT's scarier than anything!! To go public!! In my family, you're either an alcoholic, or you've married one (that's a multi-generation family joke)... So, the shame of being like my father, or facing another professional at a mtg (I have visions of this being spread around) is what scares me about mtgs. I know, that's why they're there-but what if they tell people they saw me??
So, last night, I took 2 sleeping pills instead of one, had only 2 glasses of wine. I'm scared of withdrawal symptoms, getting sick, etc. I have 2 teenage daughters, and need to be "present". Plus, next week my husband and I are going away for anniversary, and we ALWAYS bring and buy and drink when on vacation (not like it's different than any other day LOL).
Anyone have any wise words? My hands are shaking as I write this-more from anxiety, I think...
Old 11-02-2004, 02:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Get Help

I too am a licensed professional in CA. When I hit bottom a little over four years ago, I called the State Board. Their planned program of recovery was overwhelming at first, but now I am so grateful I did that. Call the nursing board and ask for help, before someone else does it for you.

Good Luck,

Jim
Old 11-02-2004, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
lui

New, etc.

Hey-thanks for the suggestion. However, I forgot to say that I'm not practicing; I'm working from home...do all my drinking late at night...
So, was one of your worries that your professional abilities were in question? Or, even, that you would never be held in high esteem EVER again? Did that make sense? How are you doing now?
Old 11-02-2004, 03:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

I'd suggest some sort of program, be it AA or something else.

Re AA and anoymity.... I'm in a small town, much smaller than Santa Rosa (I used to live in Novato) and I've had no problems with anoymity. Ppl I've known from the community haven't broken my anonymity, and vica versa.

Do you have a doctor you can see re your worries with withdrawal? Might be a wise idea!
Old 11-02-2004, 03:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

WELCOME LUI,GLAD YOUR HERE.
THERE IS ALOT OF SUPPORT AT MEETINGS,PERSONALY
I'VE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH ANONIMITY.
HELL EVERYONE KNEW I WAS A DRUNK ANYWAY!!!
STICK AROUND,SOBER IS COOL!..........ted
Old 11-02-2004, 05:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Lui, The most important thing now is to seek medical help. Talk to your doctor and be up front. He can help with the withdrawal. Take it a day at a time. Your projecting about someday, meeting someone, some place. I am also in the medical field and have found my hospital very supportive. Many of us have not had the problem of telling peole we were an alcoholic. Most family,friends etc. already knew. I'm glad you found us. I'm glad your here. We can give support and encouragement to help get through this. You'll hear this many times but, as long as you don't drink things will get better. Thankfully withdrawal won't last forever. The symptoms will get less intense. I suggest you take nothing without a doctor. A couple of sleeping pills and wine will not help. My prayers are with you. Don W
Old 11-03-2004, 01:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
lui

Thanks, guys...I do have an appt. on Friday with my MD. I SO mMMMMMMuch appreciate the responses I've gotten from ya'll. All that being said, I'm still drinking at night, alone, and justifying it by telling myself I'll deal with it after I see my MD, or after I get back from vacation. I told my husband I was concerned that my "withdrawals" would really compromise the "fun" (read:drinking) during vacation, that he'd spend the vacation worried about me, and self-concious about his own drinking, and he looked at me and asked "What would Lisa (therapist) say to that?". I told him that he's a wise man...I think she'd say it was another excuse to the wine God (you know, the 10-foot tall bottle in the room with me?). I'm sooo anxious about all this. Any ideas? I don't want to spend the vacation drooling on the sheets under the influence of Ativan/Lithium, etc. while he tries to entertain himself on our anniversary trip. I think we should just drink as per usual, then I'll deal with it when I get back.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Doesn't there need to be some sense of despair?

Hi lui,

I knew I was an alcoholic for two years before I quit drinking. I had taken the 20 question test that John Hopkins Hospital (I think it was them) put out to determine if one is an alcoholic and flunked it miserably. Albeit I only answered about 6 out of the twenty questions in the affirmative, I got to the end of the thing and it said, "If you answered one of these questions in the affirmative, you may be an alcoholic. If you answered two of them affirmatively, you probably are an alcoholic. If you answered three of them affirmatively, you definitely are an alcoholic. (What a dirty trick to put that at the end! If they'ed put it up front I would have found ways to rationalize negative answers to at least 5 out of the six "

For me, lui, it was an inner despair that developed over those two years after that that finally got me into AA. When the fears of no longer being in control of when I was going to be drunk and when I wasn't began, coupled with the fact that I was close to 41 years old and could no longer convince that fellow in the mirror that - "Someday you're really going to show 'em! -
and when the alcohol was no longer working as a way to stay blind to the despair of not being able to be the kind of father, husband, and citizen of my community that I would have loved to be able to be; then, lui, I was finally able to get honest with myself and say, "my way of getting through life is not working worth a darn, there's got to be a better way than this and I'm ready to do whatever I need to do to find it."

I tell you this because your messages don't seem to have any sense of crisis attached to them . . . I personally think that sense of crisis needs to be there, (it's called 'hitting one's bottom) but of course, I could be wrong. We are all somewhat different, we human beings.

I would certainly not advise you to go off on your vacation with your husband and keep on drinking and using whatever you 'bring' until you return from that vacation if I sensed any despair or crisis in your messages. You sound more like a gal in the early stages who has good smarts and is willing to find out what needs to be done in order to 'nip this little life problem in its bud phase.'

If that's the case, and you don't drink and drive while on that vacation, I personally (not speaking for AA of course, just personally) suspect that, as you are thinking both of your husband's pleasure and yours, you will probably make out okay.

The point is, it's just about guaranteed, lui, that all the drinking you need to do from here on out will send your life a little bit further away from happiness and a little closer to those pangs of despair which will one day inform you, even if not immediately after you return from your vacation (because there will probably be some other good reason for putting off taking the problem too seriously), that you're definitely on an unsafe road which is filled with ever increasing fear, ever increasing lack of control over the problem, and ever increasing dependency on the very medicine you're taking for your life's problems that is actually setting out to drive you insane or kill you.

If, lui, on the other hand, there really is that sense of despair underlining your carefree messages, cancel the vacation, tell your Dr. the truth, do what he suggests, (if need be check into a treatment center), if you know someone in the AA program call them and ask them if they'd be willing to take you to a meeting (they will be) and get yourself started on a road to recovery that's full of unconditional loving support and understanding fellowship along with all the tools you need to learn how to be truly calm, serene, and at home in the universe sober and straight. Blessings - one of
Old 11-03-2004, 04:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Lui, I'm glad your getting help. As for the vacation, don't drink is my suggestion. However, if you do drink own it as your decision. Don't put the omen on your husband. That isn't fair to him or yourself. Honey, I'm having problems drinking and my doctor wants me to stop. However, I'm going to drink on vacation so you'll have a good time. We are responsible for our drinking or not drinking. Your projecting that you and your husband will have a bad time. How would you know? Try it, try it for yourself. I'm so sure you'll be surprised. A program is a big help for many. It gives you a head start and some structure. When you go on vacation, call the AA Central Service and ask about local groups. I have been told and believe that we Alcoholics need structure in our lives. Support groups, programs etc provides this. I wish you well, keep posting and let us know how things are going. Find a computer and post on vacation. Don W
Old 11-04-2004, 04:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
lui

One of-
I, too, have taken that test too many times over the years. Your description made me laugh, that we would have answered differently had we known that they were going to trick us at the end. Now, when I take those tests, I can't lie, I can't avoid the truth that is staring back at me. Sure, I'm a "gal with good smarts", but I've been lying to myself for too long. I think, being smart and also being a nurse has, in the long run, hurt me. I've been able to assess myself for liver damage, etc., and as long as there were no overt problems, I figured I was immune...HA! So, I may sound lighthearted, and no, I've not lost my husband and/or children, but I now know the road that I'm on. I'm hurting myself every night, up drinking after everyone's gone to bed...having a "quick" drink before leaving the house for the evening (and no, I wouldn't be driving)...scared that there wouldn't be enough alcohol where I was going. I've told my teenage kids that I would pick them up at any time of the night if they were somewhere they didn't feel safe-and I'm scared to death they'll call sometime when I'm way too drunk to drive. When I get up early to take them to school, I'm not sure sometimes if I'm sober yet, cause I stay up so late, sometimes til 3 or 4 am, drinking, on-line, messing with my computer. I've got an auto-immune disease that I'm sure is compromised by all this alcohol. I don't feel healthy anymore. OK, enough of the list of "bad things I'm doing". I'm getting ready to see my doctor tomorrow morning. She's a great doc, very straightforward, but I'm still scared to death.
Don W. - You really addressed my fears about my husband and I, and the impact it will have...I've said to him that it is his decision as to whether to slow down, quit, or not change at all with his drinking. He's also a nurse, and understands the complexity of drinking problems, but he didn't understand mine until he asked "When I come home from work, grab a beer and go in the back yard to water, that's a habit. So, today, I thought about having a beer, and decided I didn't need to, and that was that...Is it different for you?" I told him, sadly, that it is different for me. He's supportive, he loves me, he'll stand by me...but I still worry about us. I went to the library, got some books. He's resourceful, too, and he knows all about this site. He's read some of the stuff here, and thinks it is a very cool site. I think it is a life-saver. I'm so sad as I write this. Thank you all for your words Lui
Old 11-05-2004, 03:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Just a suggestion...

http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_tableofcnt.cfm

Check out this site...

Try to read the first four chapters... If this writing speaks of you and knows you better than you know yourself.. make it to a meeting asap..

That's what I did and it is saving my life...

Good luck..
Old 11-05-2004, 04:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi lui,

Good advice from Red! Question . . . when you get up early to take the kids to school, and you've been drinking until 4 a.m. do you take a little nip to steady the nerves? Never???? If you do, ever, then you've arrived and know you've arrived and you still have two choices. You can continue to rationalize your need to drink for a little while longer, and wind up with a driving while under the influence of alcohol charge which will almost inevitably introduce you to AA meetings mandatorily for a year or two, hopefully before you have an accident with your kids in the car, or, if you can't stop drinking for even one day on your own, you turn yourself over to a treatment center ASAP! If you can stop for a day, you go to an AA meeting that evening and ask how you get through the next day without taking a drink.

It does sound, lui, like you're right on the verge of your life starting to spin downhill faster than a spring-powered top. And yes, even if you have never taken that drink in the morning before driving the kids, 4-8 a.m. is not long enough to clear the alcohol out of the system . . . it would depend on how much and how fast you consume the booze at night whether you'd blow over a .08 into the policeman's meter, but you are still, very definitely increasing the chances that you won't be able to react as quickly as needed in order to prevent an accident as you should be able to do without alcohol. So . . . yes, you are increasing the risk of killing yourself and or your kids in a car accident and, being a bright person, you know it. If that doesn't stop your evening and late night drinking, then you know also that you have passed that point where you are controlling your drinking and entered the place where the drinking is now controlling you. It's only a short period of time past that place where you come to the place where you simply couldn't imagine living without your drugs of choice and would rather die than have to stop their use!

So I'd say, lui, today is the day you need to stop drinking, and if you can't, tomorrow is the day you need to turn yourself over to the people who will help you get stopped; so that you can then learn how to stay stopped. No klidding here, this disease is a misery making killer. Do what Red suggests above, and then read chapters 5-12 as soon as you have the time. Blessings - Chuck
Old 11-05-2004, 05:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lui, You are doing the right things. Learning about it and talking about it. The two of you being able to talk about it, will help. Have a good weekend. Don W
Old 11-05-2004, 05:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lui....I don't have too much to say except, welcome. I am so glad that you are aware that you need help/intervention. Believe it or not, that is the biggest block to get over. So many active alcoholics are in such denial that they continue to damage thier lives and health, and unfortunately some never seek help.
You CAN do this Lui! With your inner strength that you may or may not be aware of and the help of support groups ie: AA and SR, and not to mention your higher power, who will give you strength beyond your wildest dreams!

My thoughts and prayers are with you
Love Diana
Old 11-05-2004, 10:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
lui

And the doctor says...

Sounds like the punchline of a bad joke. After writing last night, I guess I expected someone to write back. I checked midday after I got back from seeing my doctor, and nothing. I felt lost. I started to write about what she (MD) had said, and couldn't come up with anything. THEN, next time I was home, all those wonderful posts, full of support, encouragement, and sound advice.
I saw my Dr., who said I was incredibly brave (not the feeling I'm actually feeling right now). She revealed that she has vast experience with recovery-not herself, but a partner, fellow MD's & RN's, etc. She gave me a prescription for Ativan, and some straightforward words. She didn't think that the withdrawal was going to be the hardest part...it's after; day after day of not drinking. She suggested (no, insisted) that we get rid of ALL alcohol in the house (which my husband said would be easy and wise, especially with teenagers in the house!). She said I should go to an AA meeting every single day, or more if necessary, when we get back. Then I told a few of my closest friends, who expressed surprise, but were all lovingly supportive. I think I'm one of those "high-functioning" drunks-everyone knows I drink, but they have no idea how much, and no one really knows just how drunk I am. Drinking is such a part of our getting together with family and friends, and my friends said that we didn't have to drink together-that they wouldn't drink either. I didn't think they needed to go that far; I never want to make anyone feel as if they're sacrificing for me. Right now, I recognize as I write this that it all sounds so hunky-dory, easy as pie...As Amy, my doctor said, this is the easy part. It doesn't feel so easy, though. It feels HUGE. So, now, off I go with my husband for our anniversary trip, armed with an arsenal of Ativan, instructions, and one last bottle of champagne we will drink together on Sunday. And please, keep me in your thoughts and prayers...because that will be my last drink...
Thanks for the love, Lui
Old 11-05-2004, 11:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Paused

Good luck Lui. Have a great anniversary trip. You'll do fine. It's a huge step your taking. Talking with your Dr. was a very wise thing to do. She gave you great advice in suggesting AA. I'm a member as well. It has helped me tremendously. You have the support of a loving husband and caring friends. Your a very lucky woman. You don't ever have to go through sobriety alone. Let us know how your trip went. When you get back home, your real journey will begin. Your journey to sobriety. There are many tools to get you through it. It's can be a long, hard road at times, but worth every step of the way. Take care and happy anniversary to you and your husband.

LeAnne
Old 11-05-2004, 11:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sounds right to me, lui. We'll be here come monday. And there's some people in your town holding a meeting Monday who are just hoping a newcomer will show up that they can start helping to stay sober. Don't feel that you are walking into a click, by the way. In reasonably sized AA meetings, it is seldom that everyone in the room knows everyone else in the room . . . as you will soon learn if you do in fact begin making a meeting every day. Blessings - one of
Old 11-05-2004, 11:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
lui

Hey, guys, so to clarify (and make you envious), this vacation is a whole week-from 11/6 Sat. to 11/14 Sun. So, it's the next Monday I'll check in with y'all. I'm also keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
(((One of))) You got a secret in on my town meetings?? :smile: I think your point was that there will always be a welcoming group to go to wherever I am (yes?)
Lui
Old 11-05-2004, 11:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
lui

(After re-reading my own post) Oh my god, I didn't mean to gloat...But I am excited to get away to a little beach house on the coast of Oregon. I'm bringing a journal (thanks to someone for the suggestion), a bunch of comfy clothes, some books, music, yummy food, etc. I can't think of a better way to detox (unless we could figure out a way to become unconscious through the whole thing, then wake up "fine").
Lui
Old 11-06-2004, 01:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Hello Lui
and welcome to SR.

Think on this... professional #1 is at a meeting and sees professional #2.
#1 won't go running back and say... guess who I had seen at the AA meeting?
#1 would like to stay professional as well as anonymous as #2 would.
Now for real happenings...
A family relationship happens at meetings. All for one and one for all.
I have never heard one person yet walk out of a meeting into the public and tell a listing of who was there. A family bond like no other happens as you will see.

and Yes sober is better, will be great adding you to the family.
Welcome