Notices

Support needed

Old 02-05-2018, 03:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Support needed

I've been a drinker for 10+ years now but my relationship and family are suffering from it. I'm 32 and its seems my whole life has been ruled by alcohol. I want to stop and I'm ready to stop but I just don't know how. What's life without alcohol? Its scary for me. Just hoping there are people on here who can help support me give me tips and guidance to overcome this
Old 02-05-2018, 03:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR Missmash!

I remember being afraid of trying to live without alcohol. It was all I knew. The side effects were ruining my life, but I couldn't imagine life without it.

Now I can't remember why I thought that. All alcohol was doing was holding me back. My life is so much better now I can't even imagine going back to the bottle.

It can be difficult for a little while, but trust the people on this site when they tell you your life will be better once you bust free from that addiction.

You can do this.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know what you mean about life being scary without alcohol. I hope you find your way out. Some need medical help and/or detox. Some do not. Perhaps a visit to your doctor is appropriate?
Old 02-05-2018, 05:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This used to be a big fear for me but I've stopped and started so many times that I know the drill.

It takes some adjustment. Your mind, and body, will change. First couple of weeks without alcohol can feel rough for me. Agitation. Anxiety. Lack of desire to do anything. Low mood. Depression. Fatigue. Night sweats. Night terrors. etc.

I remember feeling like life would be flat, and boring, without alcohol. I looked forward to my beer after work. But from experience that feeling goes away pretty quickly.

Find something new to do. With the money you no longer spend on alcohol spend it on something else. Someone suggested to me to start building model planes/cars etc. Never did this before but I live next door to a hobby shop and got myself a model to build for tonight as tonight will be my day 1.

6am is when I crack open a beer. But instead I will open the model and start building with my son.

I also know from experience that after the first month or two things really start to improve dramatically and you notice you can think clearly and life starts to feel important again.

All of the above is my experience only, and others may differ. But, I wanted to reply to say there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I second what the above poster said. If you think it's too difficult to do it alone visit your doctor.

I shall not drink with you today
Old 02-05-2018, 05:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What's life without alcohol? Its scary for me

This is the baffling part of addiction. While our lives, and the lives of those around us, are being ruined, even destroyed, by our drinking, we seem to be unable to envision life without it. Question this. Does that make sense? Or could your brain simply be so programmed to believe all the marketing BS that you are fed, that you keep believing alcohol will do for you what you so badly want it to do. When in reality, it is doing nothing but destroying your life. If you continue down the path you are on, surely you will lose your family. And if you don't, well it can't get worse than that, can it? So NOT drinking is the unknown, and yeah it is hard, at first. But it does get easier.

Much of staying stopped is questioning the reality of your drinking. Is it really everything you believe it to be?
Old 02-05-2018, 05:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
What's life without alcohol? Its scary for me

This is the baffling part of addiction. While our lives, and the lives of those around us, are being ruined, even destroyed, by our drinking, we seem to be unable to envision life without it. Question this. Does that make sense? Or could your brain simply be so programmed to believe all the marketing BS that you are fed, that you keep believing alcohol will do for you what you so badly want it to do. When in reality, it is doing nothing but destroying your life. If you continue down the path you are on, surely you will lose your family. And if you don't, well it can't get worse than that, can it? So NOT drinking is the unknown, and yeah it is hard, at first. But it does get easier.

Much of staying stopped is questioning the reality of your drinking. Is it really everything you believe it to be?
Very true words. Everywhere you go in town (any town) there's bars, pubs, and places to get alcohol from. Supermarkets promote the life out of alcohol and 24 cans of beer is pretty cheap these days. The marketing, and the abundance of alcohol everywhere, makes people think it's acceptable when in reality it's a toxic poison that your body works hard fighting against and pushing out of your system.

Alcohol fills the happiness void temporarily. When I'm drunk I message people and make dumb promises knowing I can't keep them. I once told my 18 year old brother I would make him a part owner of my business and he could have 50% profits if he can do a few days in the office. Ludicrous I know, and then I have to find some way of telling family I was drunk. Because at the time I felt so happy I wanted to share my life with everyone. But once I wake up its pure embarrassment and shame.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is terrifying, and I'm also feeling terrified. But if you think your family is suffering, just think about how much YOU are suffering even though you may not realize it.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I sure do relate to how scary it is to stop drinking.

This is a link of recovery programs and lots of ideas from our members:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 02-05-2018, 08:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Missmash.
I’m only on day 18 of my sobriety. I can relate. I’m still scared. However for me, I’m excited moreso. I can’t wait to live a life where I’m not obsessed with my next drink. I can’t wait to remember all of my next vacation. I can’t wait to go to bed tonight knowing I didn’t let myself or anyone else down for just this one more day!
You will find a ton of great people and support here, I look forward to seeing you around!
Old 02-05-2018, 03:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi missmash

I can guarantee you that noone would be here if they thought they lost out on this sobriety deal.

It's scary to contemplate sure but when you can;t stand your current way of living what have you got to lose really?

Hope to see you around some more - this is a great community

D
Old 02-05-2018, 03:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome missmash. I'm so glad you've decided to give yourself a better life. You can do it.