Notices

Black Cumin Oil, Vitamins, Supplements

Old 01-29-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Black Cumin Oil, Vitamins, Supplements

I figured I'd start this here instead of health forum to get more responses. Feel free to move if necessary, mods.

I bought the book "The Vitamin Cure for Alcoholism" a year or so ago. Seeing as I'm on Day 28, you can see how that "cure" panned out.

The positive about the book was I gained a lot of insight on supplements. I take all the B's, Vit C, A, D, E, L glutamine, vit K, magnesium, zinc, fish oils, lecithin, chromium, selenium, turmeric, garlic etc. I take some daily some every other day. Too many make me feel funny.

Anyway I just heard about Black Cumin Oil and read about it being a really great supplement and a help against cravings. Anybody have experience taking this? Any recommendations/suggestions on healthy vitamins?

Just curious and maybe there is already a thread on this and search did not find it. Btw, I recommend Niacin. Not the non-flush but full flush(1000mg). I'm addicted to that Niacin flush.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exclamation medical advice

I'm sorry offthemast - I know you mean well but generally we can't make recommendations for other people or ask them for ourselves.

That constitutes medical advice here.

To anyone thinking about supplements - even vitamins - see your Dr first - especially if you're on other meds, or have a chronic health condition.

Something's that good for others may be dangerous for us.

To remind/notify everyone about the rule, here is the SR medical advice in full....

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
There is a line between wanting to know about others experiences and asking for, or giving, specific advice on specific drugs and treatments.

I understand that everyone's well meaning and trying to help - but what happened to you and how you overcame it may not be suitable for others or maybe dangerous - and may well keep someone else from seeking the professional assistance they need.

We are a peer support group here.

We simply cannot give medical advice.
You need to see a medical professional for that.

Thanks for your understanding,

Dee
SR
Old 01-29-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My bad. I figured since you can't OD on vitamins it was ok. I understand though. My apologies.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

No worries, but actually you can OD on vitamins.

One of the reasons why I'm a stickler for this rule is I made myself sick with overdosing on vitamins in early recovery.

D
Old 01-29-2018, 06:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dang. Good to know. My kitchen counter looks like a Rite-Aid.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL sounds like my bathroom.
A lot of product there

D
Old 01-29-2018, 07:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I own the Vitamin Cure for Alcoholism. Was an interesting read but I thought that the recommended niacin intake was just a *little* aggressive. My experience w/niacin (not niacinamide) has been mixed--a lot of flush and some nausea. B-vitamins mainly were my go-to when I was hung over. I also take glutamine but the jury apparently is still out on its efficacy. My doctor was a big proponent of B-vitamin hyperdoses (e.g. b-12 shots), but to each his own.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I bought so many supplements that were suppose to "cure" my alcoholism over the years, I could have a new (Insert something amazing that costs over a grand)
This is the thing with us drunks, we keep looking for that easy way out, to prove the naysayers wrong that we can drink rationally, but always fall flat on our faces.

Alcoholism has the simplest cure, that seems to be impossible. Don't drink again.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would have a Ferrari parked outside my house if I hadn't spent so much over the years on supplements sold by quacks pertaining to make me a healthier person.

I think all the quacks have the Ferrari's😎
Old 01-30-2018, 03:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What works best for me is to take a multivitamin and fish oil. Then keep my main meal of the day for when I think witching hour will hit which is usually around 5pm. Eat a lot and stay nice and full. Leave no room for alcohol.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the book suggestion. It sounds interesting. While I don't believe in a solid one size fits all "cure" for alcoholism, I am very interested in the biology of alcoholism.

I've been thinking, since I've been sober, of how much damage I've done to my kidneys and liver. I'd love to learn of the best ways to mitigate that damage over time. So far I've been drinking nettle leaf tea (for the kidneys) with an inositol extract (for the liver) and taking little shots of diluted apple cider vinegar here and there (also for the liver, I believe).
Old 01-30-2018, 06:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by wayforward View Post
So far I've been drinking nettle leaf tea (for the kidneys) with an inositol extract (for the liver) and taking little shots of diluted apple cider vinegar here and there (also for the liver, I believe).
As dee mentioned previously, it's against forum policy to share medical advice/information, even if it is related to over the counter supplements. Many of them can have quite severe side effects if used incorrectly.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Offthemast View Post
I figured since you can't OD on vitamins it was ok. I understand though.
its also possible to get addicted to them.
if your kitchen counter looks like rite aid, you may want to rethink this whole vitamin cure thing. it reads like a LOT of work .
and expensive.

out of curiosity, does this book say a person will have to keep taking all of these vitamins forever? THAT would be seriously expensive.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
its also possible to get addicted to them.
if your kitchen counter looks like rite aid, you may want to rethink this whole vitamin cure thing. it reads like a LOT of work .
and expensive.

out of curiosity, does this book say a person will have to keep taking all of these vitamins forever? THAT would be seriously expensive.
As I mentioned, the positive that came from the book bc it did not work was a more health conscious outlook and an interest in vitamins and where we might be deficient in certain areas.

No, I am not obsessed with vitamins and will not be selling my house to obtain them.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

And I don't believe you can get addicted to vitamins. Maybe the Flinstones one bc they taste really good.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

the first time I took a b-complex my pee turned a bright neon yellow. scared the heck out of me so of course I ran right to google..lol...and was quickly relieved it was the vitamin b...also learned that the kidneys will only absorb as much as needed of the vitamin supplements and will expel the rest thru your urine. not saying that you can't o.d. and it would be dumb to get ridiculous with it as well as a waste of money.

also read that it's a joke in Europe that americans have the most expensive p*** in the world because we take so many vitamins.

did you ever hear that, dee
Old 01-30-2018, 11:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I want to say I'm not European - but someone might take that as a pun...

D
Old 01-31-2018, 09:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I want to say I'm not European - but someone might take that as a pun...

D
I had to read this a few times, now I am
Old 01-31-2018, 10:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good one Dee!! Lol!