Notices

Need a friend

Old 01-28-2018, 07:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need a friend

I’m completely lost I live in a small town with no aa meetings anywhere around. I’m 22 about time 23. I’m a alcoholic and need help. I can’t stop I drank again tonight and I’m scared that I won’t be able to quit. Please anyone I need help.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

sometimes a local church may have some sort of recovery meetings. Maybe check into that? Keep posting here too and check in every day. It will help you stay accountable. Tomorrow is a new day too.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Welcome! You always have a friend here on SR...glad you found us. Please stop drinking and try to sleep. When you wake up read more and more here about recovery plans and sobriety. Today is your Day One and you won't forget this day. Say it with me - I will not drink today!
Old 01-28-2018, 07:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is hard not to be scared but maybe just focus on each day instead of trying to stare down the entirety of your future. Think you got some great advice already (stop drinking and go to sleep). I am rooting for you!
Old 01-28-2018, 08:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome numblady,
I found it much easier in the beginning to focus on one day at a time. Sometimes even one hour at a time. I scheduled each day out hour by hour the night before then stuck to that plan as closely as possible. You can do it and it will be the best thing you ever did.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Unsteady - I don’t have too much to offer. I can however offer support and friendship. You can do this one minute at a time. Last Saturday was my day 2. I did have meds from my doc, but was struggling. It was 5:34 pm. I just got in from the store where normally I can pour a stiff drink before unloading. I could not. I sat at the kitchen table infront of my young daughter and BF and cried. I cried and cried and just kept saying “minute by minute, hour by hour”. Before I knew it it was 7 pm. We all sat on the couch together and watched a movie. I even remembered the ending. It was great. You can do this unsteady - minute by minute!!!!
Old 01-28-2018, 08:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you for reaching out.l You will find a lot of love and support here. We have all been where you are. Any chance you can sip some ice cold water tonight and get a decent nights sleep?
Maybe google the bigbook online and read some passages?
That always seems to help me.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

what about joining the January support thread as well Unsteady?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-3-a-7.html

D
Old 01-28-2018, 10:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Please phone AA anyway. There is a very likelihood that folk drive near you to get to meetings and would be happy to give you a ride to meetings. It happens a lot. (As you can imagine, a fair few folks come to sobriety having lost their car or licence). In AA people do service which helps them to stay sober - one want of doing service is giving rides to folk so they can get to meetings. So please do call the hotline for your country so they can put you in touch with some local members.

BB
Old 01-28-2018, 10:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My heart goes out to you lovely. I had sobriety in 2017 and situations caused me to jump back down the rabbit hole. The night mare hole really. Fell pregnant, misscarried and it’s been a pity party ever since. Booked to enter rehab shortly and I cannot wait for my new life.
Just remember you are not alone in this battle. Get your armour on. We need to for our own sanity and livelihood xoxo
Old 01-28-2018, 11:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry to hear of your troubles Poppy but wishing you the very best

D
Old 01-28-2018, 11:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi

Originally Posted by Unsteady View Post
I’m completely lost I live in a small town with no aa meetings anywhere around. I’m 22 about time 23. I’m a alcoholic and need help. I can’t stop I drank again tonight and I’m scared that I won’t be able to quit. Please anyone I need help.
How did you do last night? I am also in the very early stages. Although I probably do have AA meetings nearby I don't think I will go, but the helpline sounds good - you can feel more safe and anonymous then, if the meetings aren't an option near you.

I've found that a couple of ebooks have helped turn me against alcohol and realise the havoc it causes on our bodies and lives - check out The Sober Diaries by Clare Pooley and Kick the Drink Easily by Jason Vale.

Also have you been to see your doctor about it? Xx
Old 01-28-2018, 11:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. It’s been pure hell. And alcohol has only made it worse. I’m smart and logical, yet I still go into self destruct mode. No more!