Go Fund Me??

Old 01-19-2018, 06:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Go Fund Me??

I rarely go on Twitter, but I clicked on there the other day and lo and behold, AF has posted a Go Fund Me "to raise $1,000 to get back to where his children are living."

From my other posts, he lost his job a few weeks ago, was supposed to be getting into temporary housing, and told me back then he was going to "work a few day labor jobs to pull together $300 to fly back to where his kids live."

It's apparent that he doesn't want to work, get sober and wants OTHERS to do the hard work for him. (insert eyeroll) Typical.

Two people actually donated...$100.

All I could think was, "You have no idea where this $100 will end up? Towards an airplane ticket or a trip to the liquor store.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is slightly O/T, but some ex-neighbors of ours are heavy drinkers, he works all sorts of jobs, and she sits at home and complains about everything - and spends LOTS of money!!

Their dog needed surgery, so she setup a GFM page asking for $1500 for the surgery - one day after posting that her and her daughter each spent the day at the salon and getting $300 haircuts - PER PERSON!!!

The gall of some people amaze me. Sorry, was not trying to hijack your post!
Old 01-19-2018, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Some people including alcoholics and addicts look at money as a thing, a tool, an object, a pen etc. They do not look at it or appreciate money as a result of hard work including one's time and effort keeping it, working and sticking to a budget, prioritizing, shopping prices etc. It's nothing but a means to an end.

I've seen and tried helping people out by buying what they needed instead of giving them money and they complained, all but threw it back in others and my face.

They still rant about all the people and family that wouldn't help them out, not talking about lunch money either they resent several people that would not help them pay off well over $50,000 in debt.

As soon as I saw the Gofundme type sites I saw it as another form of solicitation just like many kids stand at a intersection collecting donations for their team-you hope.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

To me go fund me,ect.. Do have a place(medical costs,some tragic event,ect..)but the amount of 'panhandling' has really gotten out of control. I could see my exw setting something up,if everyone didn't already know how shady she is. I'm thinking of buying a new Corvette,hmmmm?
Old 01-19-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CentralOhioDad View Post
This is slightly O/T, but some ex-neighbors of ours are heavy drinkers, he works all sorts of jobs, and she sits at home and complains about everything - and spends LOTS of money!!

Their dog needed surgery, so she setup a GFM page asking for $1500 for the surgery - one day after posting that her and her daughter each spent the day at the salon and getting $300 haircuts - PER PERSON!!!

The gall of some people amaze me. Sorry, was not trying to hijack your post!
No problem! Yeah, I see this all the time. Ridiculous.

OH BTW...COD...I'm a fellow Buckeye, too (live down south now tho).
Old 01-19-2018, 11:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thequest View Post
Some people including alcoholics and addicts look at money as a thing, a tool, an object, a pen etc. They do not look at it or appreciate money as a result of hard work including one's time and effort keeping it, working and sticking to a budget, prioritizing, shopping prices etc. It's nothing but a means to an end.
I am so very glad you said this...^^^^
Yes, I was accused by AF that I "worried too much" about finances. LOL I told him if sticking to a budget, watching where my money goes and still enjoying life is "worrying too much," then GUILTY as charged.

During one of his drunken binges, he said something about me being "perfect" and "cupons." (I guess he meant "coupons.") hahahahaha!!
Do I use coupons, shop sales, etc? ABSOLUTELY. Am I dependent on anyone else financially? No. Thanks for the compliment.

I've seen and tried helping people out by buying what they needed instead of giving them money and they complained, all but threw it back in others and my face.

They still rant about all the people and family that wouldn't help them out, not talking about lunch money either they resent several people that would not help them pay off well over $50,000 in debt.

As soon as I saw the Gofundme type sites I saw it as another form of solicitation just like many kids stand at a intersection collecting donations for their team-you hope.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by learning14 View Post
oh btw...cod...i'm a fellow buckeye, too (live down south now tho).
o-h!!!! Not sure why this won't capitalize?
Old 01-19-2018, 11:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by centralohiodad View Post
o-h!!!! Not sure why this won't capitalize?
i-o!
Old 01-19-2018, 12:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Learning14 View Post
I am so very glad you said this...^^^^
Yes, I was accused by AF that I "worried too much" about finances. LOL I told him if sticking to a budget, watching where my money goes and still enjoying life is "worrying too much," then GUILTY as charged.

During one of his drunken binges, he said something about me being "perfect" and "cupons." (I guess he meant "coupons.") hahahahaha!!
Do I use coupons, shop sales, etc? ABSOLUTELY. Am I dependent on anyone else financially? No. Thanks for the compliment.

I get you're fussy you over shop etc yet but I'm not the one going to other people for money or declaring bankruptcy. And this person had their bankruptcy paid for by several others. They also were miffed and resented the fact that no one would help pay for their last dui yet always found money for alcohol,bars, restaurants and recreational activity. They embezzled from their own business sticking their vendors for 10s of thousands in unpaid bills. Yet I'm 'cheap'.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I get you're fussy you over shop etc yet but I'm not the one going to other people for money or declaring bankruptcy. And this person had their bankruptcy paid for by several others. They also were miffed and resented the fact that no one would help pay for their last dui yet always found money for alcohol,bars, restaurants and recreational activity. They embezzled from their own business sticking their vendors for 10s of thousands in unpaid bills. Yet I'm 'cheap'.
Exactly!
It's amazing to me STILL about the lunacy.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I confronted XAH once about why the checkbook didn't balance, I was told that "sometimes you just have to take things on faith" and "you don't need to UNDERSTAND everything!"

I was so concerned about finances when we first split up. I am far better off now, paying all my utilities, property taxes AND a car payment (which he and I had not had for many years) myself, than I was when we were married and working from 2 incomes.

He has never told me how much he would spend in a given month on cigarettes and alcohol; when asked, he would claim he "didn't know" or "didn't remember."

He would wait to pay bills until practically the day they were due, which I never understood--the money was in the bank, why not get them paid? Later, I realized that most likely the money was NOT in the bank, but only HE knew that.

He also was always right on top of getting the mail--in fact, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I got the mail from the box--and I have wondered what exactly that was all about. In the state I live in, if a married person gets a credit card, the spouse is notified about it via a letter, and I certainly wouldn't think it outside the realm of possibility that he had one or more credit cards that I knew nothing about and had to make sure that I never saw the letter of notification or the bills.

I have a tendency to get misty sometimes, even now, but when I remember things like this, it snaps me out of it right quick!
Old 01-22-2018, 02:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=thequest;6753539always found money for alcohol,bars, restaurants and recreational activity. [/QUOTE]

A local man and his son died from carbon monoxide poisoning because he set his generator up in the garage. He had a generator for electricity because it had been cut off six months before for non-payment on his account. His friends and family were all indignant that the utility company refused to continue giving him free electricity.

His obit mentioned he was known at Local Establishment as a "friend of the bar." His funeral was paid for by his friends at that local watering hole. It was before GoFundMe.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by velma929 View Post
A local man and his son died from carbon monoxide poisoning because he set his generator up in the garage. He had a generator for electricity because it had been cut off six months before for non-payment on his account. His friends and family were all indignant that the utility company refused to continue giving him free electricity.

His obit mentioned he was known at Local Establishment as a "friend of the bar." His funeral was paid for by his friends at that local watering hole. It was before GoFundMe.
WOW!