Notices

I drank. Again.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I drank. Again.

I made it to day 13. I drank because I was mad. I'm sick of this. I had about 12 ounces of a Straw-ber-rita and then I dumped the last 4. I don't even like the feeling of being buzzed anymore. Why do I still keep running to it to destroy my life?... I know why. I don't feel like I deserve to be or ever will be happy. Just needed to post. Thanks for reading.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you! Don't beat yourself up. I for one find it incredible that you dumped the last 4 ounces. We all know how hard it is to stop drinking once we've started. WAY harder than drinking 12. So the important thing is that you're back on track. You'll get back to 13 days and many more!
Old 01-17-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I felt that way too, undeserving of happiness, while I was drinking. Drinking put me in despair, feeling hopeless. But the longer I was sober, the more that feeling of despair lifted. It will get better.

Change up your recovery plan. Do something different to stay sober. Try practicing gratitude every day.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I did the same thing, LoveForMe - kept using it to 'cope' when it really did nothing but cause me pain. Proud of you for dumping it out - you sound ready to do this.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with least
Make some changes to your plan for effectively moving forward.
You did 13 days although you now start the clock at 1 you still did 13 days well done for that.
You can do much better than that and you know it! You deserve it!

Don't waste time beating yourself up with negative thought processes we can all talk ourselves down.
Make the changes to your plan to avoid the slip and get back on the horse.

Positive action. You can do it!
Old 01-18-2018, 05:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

LFM, you say I don't feel like I deserve to be or ever will be happy.

however,could another reason be because you dont know how to process and react to anger? you do say I drank because I was mad
Old 01-18-2018, 08:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rar

Good for you dumping the rest out! I'm only on Day 8 now, but I was in the same situation two days ago. I was so angry and tempted to drink. I was telling myself that I would calm down if I had only one drink. I eventually realized that I would be angry at some point again and I had better learn to cope with my feelings. It helped. Yesterday I was still in a funk, but kept telling myself these are only feelings and I don't have to act on them. 13 days is pretty awesome.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
LFM, you say I don't feel like I deserve to be or ever will be happy.

however,could another reason be because you dont know how to process and react to anger? you do say I drank because I was mad
You are right. I have always had anger management problems. I do not know how to deal with frustration. Anger seems to be my only trigger now.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your replies. I need to stop playing this game. I hope this is my last day 1 for me. Drinking isn't for me anymore.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

((oh honey)) don't beat yourself up. I'm amazed at your strength to stop mid-drink. And you will be at 13 days again in just 13 days, ya know? Non of that nasty, horrible first day withdrawal stuff in your way either.

I find myself triggered the same way you seem to be. I get angry and drink. But I wonder if we aren't just trying to be the worthless person someone else thinks we are? I think deep down we both know we aren't worthless. I wonder if that's where the anger comes from?
Old 01-18-2018, 09:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Early sobriety is really tough. You are wired differently from others and once your brain is programmed to think alcohol gives a pleasurable effect, it's difficult to reboot your system back to the old you that you were before you ever tried alcohol. I would definitely add to your recovery plan and have something in place for the next time you get angry.

That said, it's pretty great that you came here and posted instead of going on a bender. That is progress. Never quit quitting. We are all rooting for you.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You're viewing this as a failure but you could also view it as a success. Instead of having the whole margarita and having more to get drunk you stopped.

That is progress. You realized what you were doing was counterproductive and you stopped. Sounds like you learned from your mistake.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi, LoveForMe! So glad you posted.

Well done on pouring out the remainder of the drink.

Least mentioned a change to your recovery plan - do you have a plan in place.

I will post a link to a great SR thread on that topic.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

As promised:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...highlight=Psst (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)
Old 01-18-2018, 11:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Keep fighting man.

At 87 days today and every time I think about drinking I realize I'll wake up in the morning hating myself and losing all this time too. I've gone too far now.

The booze solves nothing. Get back up and start again today.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveForMe View Post
You are right. I have always had anger management problems. I do not know how to deal with frustration. Anger seems to be my only trigger now.
i seriously relate to that! anger was good..........when i wasnt in a fit of rage. i didnt have a problem with it for a little bit after getting sober, but after the fog wore off- holy smokes!! and the thought that got engrained into me over years and years of doing it kept poppin up first:"get drunk."
yet my past showed me that didnt work for anything other than getting me drunk. it never solved the problem. never helped me understand why i was angry.
i was in AA and the steps(and talking to others) helped me tremendously learning what was causing it; helped me understand the causes and conditions.
i learned i dont just end up drunk when i got angry- its a process. typically starts with things not going my way. then i get frustrated and fight for my way. then i get angry when that doesnt happen. then i fight more. then get into a fit of rage when things still dont go my way.
then i drink.
the sooner i catch it the easier it is to solve.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

p.s.
i can go waaaaay back to when i was a youngen- back in the early years- 5-10 ish. i can remember hearing one of my siblings( i heard this often),"toms having a temper tantrum again."
they werent temper tantrums. they were fits of rage.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back LoveForMe

D
Old 01-20-2018, 02:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
p.s.
i can go waaaaay back to when i was a youngen- back in the early years- 5-10 ish. i can remember hearing one of my siblings( i heard this often),"toms having a temper tantrum again."
they werent temper tantrums. they were fits of rage.
I used to always throw things when I was younger. But drinking doesn't stop me from doing that either🤔
Old 01-20-2018, 02:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sorry my replies are always so short. I'm always on my phone when I reply.