Notices

Fresh start

Old 01-04-2018, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fresh start

Hello, I’m a mid 30 year old trying out a new habit of not drinking every night. Basically I have been drinking nightly up to 5 drinks, be they glasses of wine, rum, beer, vodka.. etc for the last 8 years or so. the only time I have not is when I’ve been pregnant. Thankfully I haven’t had trouble stopping for that. Anyway, for whatever reason unless I have a “real” reason (other than pregnancy or breastfeeding) I have had a hard time justifying why not to. I will drink nightly after the kids go to sleep. My daily routine has been to start about 8-or 7 if I have one glass while I read bedtime stories-then I’ll tuck them in and continue until about 11:30 or 12:00. Go to sleep and then wake up and feel guilty &/or tired &/or shaky. THe last year has been when my shakes have gotten worse. Anyway I don’t feel this is a good way to live and I have honestly felt a little jealous of people who either can stop once they start or people who recognize they have a problem and stop.

I want to be healthier for myself, kids, family, daily activities and future.

I haven’t drank for 3.5 days now which feels great so far, but I know I’ll want to and I’m scared of the cravings. I don’t have the freedom with kids to get out or do other activities when the cravings hit and that worries me.

Anyway, I’m here and hoping I can find some support and outlets here!

Thanks for reading!
Old 01-04-2018, 11:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Readygo View Post
.. for whatever reason unless I have a “real” reason (other than pregnancy or breastfeeding) I have had a hard time justifying why not to.

... I want to be healthier for myself, kids, family, daily activities and future. ...
Sounds like good justification right there.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome readygo,

Do you have cravings or just afraid they will hit?

The obvious action you can take is get rid of all the alcohol in your house. If it's not available then it's not a choice.

I would also think of activities you can do with your children if or when the cravings hit. Read them a book, play games, take them to the park, etc.

Good luck
Old 01-04-2018, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Readygo!

I have a 2.5 year old son and I could think of nothing better than to be a sober mom.
To be able to do more things with him, be there for him at any hour of the day sober, clear minded and able to drive if necessary.
I never want him to question me, what I am doing, why I am acting weird, too lazy to do something, not interested in whatever activity because drink was more important.

I do attend 1 AA meeting a week, working on a second. I do have to pay a babysitter for one of them as my BF works 7 days a week. But that money is well spent as I am surrounded by support and people who understand me.

I come here often and read through the forum, I like the stories of 1 year and above, I read the relapse stories hoping I never go down that path as they do help me remember why I became sober and how awful starting over and over would be.

This time for me (#3 in 6 years) I have finally accepted the fact that I am an alcoholic and can no longer have a relationship with alcohol as it is very destructive to my life. I dont want that any more. The alcohol voice has not been there because of the acceptance. HOWEVER if I ever get the itch, I remind myself why I became sober, I remember the last night and what I did while wasted, and BAM I snap out of it.

While I am sober for me, I am also sober for my son and BF. The happier I am the happier they are!

I have started to read a lot, I watch TV, I paint or draw and I work out.

I wish you the best and post here as often as you need, even if you think you are going to drive to get booze, post here so we can try to help you off the edge.

Blessings,
Old 01-04-2018, 02:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by t1psy View Post
Sounds like good justification right there.
Sometimes my justification is that it’s okay, I’m still okay, I don’t really have an issue. But then I get to the point that I know it’s not good for me and it’s too much so I cycle through the cutting back for a day or two but end up right back to 5 drinks. Real acceptance has been hard for me to stick with.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Done4today View Post
welcome readygo,

Do you have cravings or just afraid they will hit?

The obvious action you can take is get rid of all the alcohol in your house. If it's not available then it's not a choice.

I would also think of activities you can do with your children if or when the cravings hit. Read them a book, play games, take them to the park, etc.

Good luck
I’m scared of when they will hit. I’m riding a high of feeling good and proud of myself and knowing it’s healthier, but I know I will want some and the justifying is so intense! We don’t have alcohol right now in the house which is nice but I know family functions and social events could be harder. My biggest issue is that the kid activities, honestly are boring to me and I curb my getting bored or get energy from the glass or two before bed :-/ at night it’s too late to go out and do anything with them so it’s a bad trigger time for me.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi readygo - welcome

support changed everything for me - just knowing I wasn't alone gave me new strength and hope to battle those cravings and all the other fears I had about being sober.

When you start rationalising you're not that bad or one won't hurt - come here and post and read instead

You can do this

D
Old 01-04-2018, 02:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamCatcher17 View Post
Welcome, Readygo!

I have a 2.5 year old son and I could think of nothing better than to be a sober mom.
To be able to do more things with him, be there for him at any hour of the day sober, clear minded and able to drive if necessary.
I never want him to question me, what I am doing, why I am acting weird, too lazy to do something, not interested in whatever activity because drink was more important.

I do attend 1 AA meeting a week, working on a second. I do have to pay a babysitter for one of them as my BF works 7 days a week. But that money is well spent as I am surrounded by support and people who understand me.

I come here often and read through the forum, I like the stories of 1 year and above, I read the relapse stories hoping I never go down that path as they do help me remember why I became sober and how awful starting over and over would be.

This time for me (#3 in 6 years) I have finally accepted the fact that I am an alcoholic and can no longer have a relationship with alcohol as it is very destructive to my life. I dont want that any more. The alcohol voice has not been there because of the acceptance. HOWEVER if I ever get the itch, I remind myself why I became sober, I remember the last night and what I did while wasted, and BAM I snap out of it.

While I am sober for me, I am also sober for my son and BF. The happier I am the happier they are!

I have started to read a lot, I watch TV, I paint or draw and I work out.

I wish you the best and post here as often as you need, even if you think you are going to drive to get booze, post here so we can try to help you off the edge.

Blessings,
I find that evening is my kids witching hour so they are whinier and not the best versions of themselves which is when it’s so easy to take that edge off. I can’t get out of the house at this time either because many times it’s just me putting them to bed or my husband would be heading out of the house. Babysitters are not quite an option unless I want to pay for a home healthcare aide as one child of mine has a health issue that needs training to take care of. So far it’s only been a night time craving. So trying to find nightime activities that are good that Could be done around kids would be best!

At the moment it’s feeling really good to be sober and know I’m not going to wake up and feel icky and that I’m doing what I can to be healthier.

When my husband gets home later I could usually leave so that’s good but if he leaves at their bedtime I’m nervous about that.

I’m wanting to be proactive and get in on support groups that are more realistic for me
Old 01-04-2018, 02:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi readygo - welcome

support changed everything for me - just knowing I wasn't alone gave me new strength and hope to battle those cravings and all the other fears I had about being sober.

When you start rationalising you're not that bad or one won't hurt - come here and post and read instead

You can do this

D
Thank you!! Anything but a drink can help right??
Old 01-04-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Readygo;6734087]I find that evening is my kids witching hour so they are whinier and not the best versions of themselves which is when it’s so easy to take that edge off.

Oh, mine too. He is now at this stage where he just doesn't want to go to bed, at all.
last night, for instance, I put him down at 715, and every 15 mins he was in the living room where I was working out. This made it a challenge to complete my workout, but I did finish. I then took a shower and BAM there he was in my bedroom, 4 more times until 930. Now, mommy is NOT too happy, sure I yelled at him to get his ass back into bed, but I can say I didnt drink over it/for it/about it or to try and escape it. like I used to!!!

You'll find what works for you until then keep coming here!