Notices

Hello This is my fi st I enjoy posting

Old 12-04-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello This is my fi st I enjoy posting

Hi I'm very happy I found this site. I've been reading many posts and I feel I'm in the right place.
I've been drinking since I was 14. It started out as every weekend. Immediately at the age of 14 I knew alcohol was my answer. It numbed my anxiety an d it allowed me to socialize and be witty,funny and popular. Almost 50 years later I feel I still have the insides of a frightened teenage girl.
Of course my drinking increased over the years until I became a daily drinker. I have been very fortunate in that I was able to have a good career and never got into any trouble with the law etc due to drinking. I liked drinking alone after work while listening to music and completing chores. It released me from my anxiety. However due to the drinking my anxiety and depression increased and myself self esteem plummeted. I've been hanging out in alcohol recovery blogs for several years, but then I quit.
Currently I see a wonderful doctor who is helping me to learn how to moderate or abstain from drinking. I believe he lets me think I can moderate so I don't get overwhelmed and throw in the towel. I have no control over drinking once I start. So beginning today I am going to take alcohol off the table and I'm going to learn how to live in this world and deals with my anxiety. I'll appreciate all your comments and support. I'm hoping to make some good friends and mentors on this site.
Thank you Wilma
Old 12-04-2017, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site. It's a lot easier to not drink than to try moderating. That never worked for me, no matter how many little tricks and ideas I came up with.

Good for you!
Old 12-04-2017, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Wilma! I'm so pleased you've found this wonderful site. You will find a lot of support and also plenty to research and read. I really did identify with your story, particularly about feeling like a frightened teenage girl. Yes me too and I'm 46! The great news is that absolute sobriety is not only possible but it's also great too! I wish you well and please stick around and be as active a member as you can. I find it helps a great deal. Take care xxx
Old 12-04-2017, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I tried to moderate my drinking too, but always failed. BB is right that it's easier to stop drinking completely than it is to moderate. I've been sober now for nearly 8 yrs and have never been happier.

I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Wilma,

I'm glad you found us!

Abstaining from alcohol is really much easier than trying to moderate.

It's a good idea to try to come up with a plan to help you get through the early days and to continue to recover. I hope you continue to read and post.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Wilma. You're going to love it here.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome wilma!

I tried moderating & failed. I did it with an addiction counsellor - as you said, she was letting me try moderation so that I came to the conclusion myself to quit. Something she said which was spot on - moderation is exhausting, all the "can I drink tonight? How much can I drink tonight?", with sobriety it is a simple "will I drink tonight? No."

I also suffer from anxiety (& depression in the past). The daily drinking was causing me to wake up in the early hours with extreme anxiety & dread. That has gone now I'm pleased to say (70 days sober today). I still have anxiety but I'm learning to accept this & deal with it.

We are all here to help, whatever you need. X
Old 12-04-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to have you join us Wilma - welcome

D
Old 12-04-2017, 03:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I tried moderating for years. Can't do it. I realised that about 18 months ago. Didn't stop me drinking for 85% of the time over the same period of time though.

Back on Day 2 now.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, Wilma! Moderation was always impossible for me. I have no 'off' switch when it comes to drink. It's much easier to quit altogether just get on with sobriety. I am happy I finally did. I am so glad you're here; there is a lot of help and support to be had -SR is vital to my recovery. I take medication for anxiety so I'm know how difficult that can be. Best wishes on your sober journey.