It's just starting to sink in...

Old 11-20-2017, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's just starting to sink in...

The level of impairment my husband has been operating on for years under the all-too-kind label of "functional" alcoholic.

BAC, also known as blood alcohol level is the percentage of alcohol to blood in the blood stream... so .25 --not uncommon to many who suffer from this disease of alcoholism-- would be the blood consisting of one fourth alcohol!!!

The so many times alcoholics drive drunk when we don't have a clue...

The many times drunk drivers could be arrested but are sent on their way, either with no warning or a very ineffective one....

The ease in which drunk drivers when ticketed will outright lie and plead "not guilty". Just because it's a common legal tactic doesn't negate the dishonesty.

How much I was told there is no problem, by the alcoholics in my life, by police who don't press charges and by society, who scream outrage about "others" who are "labeled" by dui's, but who drink with those same people, encourage the drinking and contribute to the normalization of heavy drinking.

I am completely, absolutely thankful to all who are educated about addictions and who step up again, and again, and again to help those who have them. The police officers who ticket, arrest, step in with kindness and compassion (which often requires it to be much more stern than I could ever do)... addiction-specialized doctors, therapists, counselors, etc.

I am very thankful for all in recovery... addicts/alcoholics/friends/family.

I am very thankful for the people who are still lost in this disease... for the core of them, for who they are right now, today.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The more I have learned about alcoholism, the more I understand why Prohibition was passed. It might not have worked but it was a great idea. Also the Muslims and Mormons who forbid alcohol to their practitioners. Of course not all comply but it makes sense.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"BAC, also known as blood alcohol level is the percentage of alcohol to blood in the blood stream... so .25 --not uncommon to many who suffer from this disease of alcoholism-- would be the blood consisting of one fourth alcohol!!!."

Actually, no. It's one-quarter of one percent. Still pretty drunk, though. Someone walking around at that level has built up some tolerance, for sure. This is enough for blackouts to occur.

.25 translates into 2.5 parts alcohol to every 1000 parts blood
Old 11-20-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lol... pretty sure I misread that. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I take it this is your ex-husband?
Old 11-20-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No. Not ex husband or ex friends.