Notices

8 Days in but a Question: Campral?

Old 11-07-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8 Days in but a Question: Campral?

So I have been sober since last Monday evening (making today Day 8). Feeling good. BUT.......

My anxiety is off the charts. Exercise is helping, a bit. But I read that Campral actually can repair damage done by alcohol in terms of correcting chemical imbalances (i.e., GABA and serotonin), and even neuropathways. I really feel that what I am dealing with is not deep underlying issues from my childhood. I think this is purely neurochemical.

I am NOT concerned about cravings. The only craving for alcohol I have is to quiet the prophesies of doom in my head.

So, for those who are either in early recovery, or getting further, did you try Campral and did it help with anxiety? I am not seeking advice, just your experience.

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience to share, I'm afraid .
I think regardless of the feedback you get here, it's gonna have to be something you discuss with your Dr.

D
Old 11-07-2017, 02:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

As dee said, you best bet is to speak with a doctor or psychologist about any prescription med. I believe campral is generally prescribed specifically to help with cravings, not with anxiety - but again you'd need to speak with a doctor to find out if it would work ( or not ) for you. Each person reacts differently to a specific med.

If you are dealing mainly with anxiety know that it's very, very common in early sobriety. And there are chemical as well as non chemical ways to deal with it. And believe it or not, even non-medicinal therapy can change your brain chemistry long term.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey horn95,

I'm currently taking Campral 3x a day and it has really been helping me out. My anxiety/cravings are reduced and the restlessness you get with post acute withdrawals have diminished significantly.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redpatsox View Post
Hey horn95,

I'm currently taking Campral 3x a day and it has really been helping me out. My anxiety/cravings are reduced and the restlessness you get with post acute withdrawals have diminished significantly.
RedPatSox.... Hmmm. Let me guess, you're from Boston?

My anxiety gets better through the day. I am ok, right now. But the mornings are hell. Adrenaline rushes and racing thoughts -- it is driving me crazy. It's never been this bad. God**** kindling.

I brought this on myself. I dread going to sleep because of how I am going to wake up.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had those awful mornings for quite a while. I found that if I got out of bed and immediately did some sort of exercise it helped tremendously.

I would do jumping jacks, pushups, squats, toe-touches, running in place, jumping rope, any kind of calisthenics worked. Just for a couple/five minutes.

Also, I started saying (before I got out of bed - before my feet touched the floor) "This is the day that the Lord has made, let us be glad and rejoice in it!" You could substitute any affirmative statement. I had to START the day with a positive or my crazy alcohol soaked brain would grab something else and substitute the Prophesies of Doom. ( I love that term, so appropriate.)

No experience with any kind of drugs or Rx, though. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would suggest to start seeing a therapist. They can work you through your issues and prescribe meds as needed.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Campral is one of the drugs I started taking when I got sober and still take 3x a day, at 20+ mo. My dr prescribed it for cravings and I can honestly say I never had a physical one - now it's just a maintenance thing.

I do struggle with anxiety and I take ativan (as needed, 1-3 a day, 1mg) as well as two sleeping meds, one with an anti-anxiety component.

A good dr is the best way to get the help we need.