Notices

When will I feel normal? :(

Old 11-06-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When will I feel normal? :(

So I just recently turned 20 and I was a heavy drinker (every night half a bottle or more of southern comfort) for about a year and a half. I have been sober now for 18 days WOO! I had the shakes and felt crazy, increased heart rate when I stopped which led me to go to the ER. After the first week I started to feel GREAT. But then it’s like it’s gotten worse. I feel foggy headed, slow, anxious as hell, light headed, kinda dizzy sometimes. Headaches... I’m just wondering when this will stop and I will just feel normal again. I don’t want to drink of course seeing what it did to my body but I’m just at a loss. I feel so discouraged at this time and I just need some advice. Please tell me this is normal and I’m not dying lol. Any advice or support would be wonderful. Thank you. ❤️
Old 11-06-2017, 11:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes. I finally got myself to AA a month into sobriety when it started to dawn on me that the effects of alcoholism were not just physical, and that without my old 'solution' to everything I was struggling to deal with life in general. I was so exausted with anxiety and overthinking just about everything that my head felt like a washing machine on a spin cycle.

Things do get better when we start to work on our recovery. Which isn't the same as just staying sober.

Have you read any of the threads about making a recovery plan?

BB
Old 11-06-2017, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Yes. I finally got myself to AA a month into sobriety when it started to dawn on me that the effects of alcoholism were not just physical, and that without my old 'solution' to everything I was struggling to deal with life in general. I was so exausted with anxiety and overthinking just about everything that my head felt like a washing machine on a spin cycle.

Things do get better when we start to work on our recovery. Which isn't the same as just staying sober.

Have you read any of the threads about making a recovery plan?

BB
Thank you. I needed to hear that. And no. I know it sound foolish but I don’t have any urge to drink anymore so I don’t think a plan is necessary. Then again, like I said, maybe I’m being foolish.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

First things first: Returning to drinking is NOT the answer. It is normal to feel out of sorts, anxious, etc. in the first few weeks of sobriety. Your body needs to adjust to the shock of not having alcohol in your system.

Beyond that, if your symptoms persist, by all means, go to the doctor. If nothing else, having him/her check you out and tell you that you are fine will give you peace of mind and help you to focus on your continued recovery.

Welcome to SR. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firstymer View Post
First things first: Returning to drinking is NOT the answer. It is normal to feel out of sorts, anxious, etc. in the first few weeks of sobriety. Your body needs to adjust to the shock of not having alcohol in your system.

Beyond that, if your symptoms persist, by all means, go to the doctor. If nothing else, having him/her check you out and tell you that you are fine will give you peace of mind and help you to focus on your continued recovery.

Welcome to SR. I am glad you are here with us.
Thank you! I’m happy I’m not alone. Also a totally different topic but my boyfriend and I would drink every night together. It was our fun thing to do. Now I don’t drink but he still does and that’s difficult for me. We tend to butt heads when one is sober and one is drunk. I can’t really just leave either because we have a 2 year old and I live with him and his family. Ugh the struggles are so real right now.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's going to get so much better I went through the same thing give it some time and just embrace the suck for now. lol
Old 11-06-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AshleyB View Post
It's going to get so much better I went through the same thing give it some time and just embrace the suck for now. lol
Thank you so much. Just needing hope that it will get better and I will feel like a normal person again. I had no idea it could take this long...
Old 11-06-2017, 11:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newbie14 View Post
Thank you. I needed to hear that. And no. I know it sound foolish but I don’t have any urge to drink anymore so I don’t think a plan is necessary. Then again, like I said, maybe I’m being foolish.

Okay

Well, I'll leave you with this link just in case.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

Strikes me that if it was just a case of putting the drink down and never needing to worry about it again, chances are you'd have just done it without seeking out this place.

I put myself though 6 long months of miserable white-knuckling it with no willingness to do any work on my recovery. Almost sent myself mad, and ended up seriously just wanting to die. I hadn't really understood that I needed to replace my old crutch alcohol so I could manage life, and to do that I needed to build up my sober tool-box. It wasn't just about cravings. But I thought all that stuff was for those 'proper alcoholics' haha.

Anyway. You've got the link if you want to look at it in future if things start getting uncomfortable and the old restlesness, irritability and discontentment creep up to bite you on the bum like they do so many of us. Hopefully I'm wrong and you'll just get better without having to do anything.

BB
Old 11-06-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome - I actually joined SR today too
The physical withdrawals are different for everyone. Like someone said, a check up with your doctor can always give peace of mind
I've been clean before and recently relapsed. My gf met me sober and is freaked. She is keeping her distance. The mental/emotional part is going to be really hard right now. Hang in there, that's what I'm going to do. If he loves you he'll respect your choices I'm trying to respect my gf's choice currently...
Old 11-06-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Not sure why emojis came up! I didn't use any...
Old 11-06-2017, 11:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you! I’m happy I’m not alone. Also a totally different topic but my boyfriend and I would drink every night together. It was our fun thing to do. Now I don’t drink but he still does and that’s difficult for me. We tend to butt heads when one is sober and one is drunk. I can’t really just leave either because we have a 2 year old and I live with him and his family. Ugh the struggles are so real right now.
I can identify with this. My husband still drinks quite a lot (but finds it easier to have nights off than I did). I don't mind that he drinks really but I'm struggling a bit at the moment with it - as you say, it was our wind down together time, and now I'm sober I can find things irritating or annoying!
Old 11-06-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just realised I didn't particularly help with that reply! Just to say that I can empathise. We have two young kids. It is all very hard but alcohol free has to be better for us & our kids (& our partners in the long term).
Old 11-06-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJ991 View Post
Just realised I didn't particularly help with that reply! Just to say that I can empathise. We have two young kids. It is all very hard but alcohol free has to be better for us & our kids (& our partners in the long term).
No it did help. It always helps to know I’m not the only one in my situation. Thank you.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gohawksgo View Post
Welcome - I actually joined SR today too
The physical withdrawals are different for everyone. Like someone said, a check up with your doctor can always give peace of mind
I've been clean before and recently relapsed. My gf met me sober and is freaked. She is keeping her distance. The mental/emotional part is going to be really hard right now. Hang in there, that's what I'm going to do. If he loves you he'll respect your choices I'm trying to respect my gf's choice currently...
Thank you. We got this 💪🏼
Old 11-06-2017, 01:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you. We got this 💪🏼
I hope so!
Old 11-06-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Newbie

Nobody feels like they need a plan - it seems like effort - which I reckon is one of the main reasons why so many people drink again.

Give the link Berrybean posted a look through - what have you got to lose?

I hope you'll start to feel better soon - I felt progressively better after my first 30 days

D