Notices

All The Small Things . . .

Old 09-16-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

All The Small Things . . .

When I drank life became vague, shades of grey, simply surviving life, surviving the hangover, making it through the day, I needed to pass hours as best I could, make it through, persevere, concentrate, climb the hill of emotions, the physical abuse I was putting my body through, make it until the end of my “professional” day so that I could drink again, and the tape was constantly on repeat, I was going round and round in circles on the merry-go-round of addiction and it took a long time realise it, and even longer to do something about it.

But I was missing life, my life, it was simply passing me by, I couldn’t enjoy anything without alcohol, everything was planned around a night out, drinks with other other people, and the conclusion was always dealing with a hangover, and being disappointed in myself, which prolonged my misery over many years.

The haze of alcohol hides the enjoyment of life, those aspects that we enjoyed many years ago that now alcohol has stolen from us, it took me a very long time to be able to just enjoy, to enjoy life, the small things, to appreciate, to be content, to understand that life can be enjoyed without alcohol each and every moment of our existence.

This morning at work I enjoyed the smell of my freshly brewed coffee, I savoured the smell before I put it to my lips and enjoyed the flavour, the warm liquid lifting me up before the day of work ahead of myself, I spoke to my work colleagues and asked how their life was going, how were their kids, what were they doing this weekend, took an interest in someone other than myself, this afternoon I went for a long walk, appreciated the nature around me, the cool fresh breeze on my face, the scent of the evergreen trees as we approach winter, the splash of the waterfall in the distance and the crisp sound of the fresh stream flowing below my feet, the birds singing in the afternoon air, the peace and serenity of the nature, and the ability, the clearness of mind and gratitude to experience them.

People ask me what will Sobriety achieve? well for me an experience in life, no more wasted time with drinking and hangovers, but plenty of time to enjoy the little things, those things that we don't even realise in the haze of alcohol . . . all the small things!!

Old 09-16-2017, 03:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

LOVE this post! So true.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for a great post PK

D
Old 09-16-2017, 05:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Imagine - we once thought it enhanced our life and made things more fun. In the end, we felt nothing. Thank you, PK.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Beautiful!
Old 09-16-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Beautiful post PK ! It's amazing how rewarding it can be, just to finally see all the beauty around us, in small things.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleKnight View Post
When I drank life became vague, shades of grey, simply surviving life, surviving the hangover, making it through the day, I needed to pass hours as best I could, make it through, persevere, concentrate, climb the hill of emotions, the physical abuse I was putting my body through, make it until the end of my “professional” day so that I could drink again, and the tape was constantly on repeat, I was going round and round in circles on the merry-go-round of addiction and it took a long time realise it, and even longer to do something about it.

But I was missing life, my life, it was simply passing me by, I couldn’t enjoy anything without alcohol, everything was planned around a night out, drinks with other other people, and the conclusion was always dealing with a hangover, and being disappointed in myself, which prolonged my misery over many years.

The haze of alcohol hides the enjoyment of life, those aspects that we enjoyed many years ago that now alcohol has stolen from us, it took me a very long time to be able to just enjoy, to enjoy life, the small things, to appreciate, to be content, to understand that life can be enjoyed without alcohol each and every moment of our existence.

This morning at work I enjoyed the smell of my freshly brewed coffee, I savoured the smell before I put it to my lips and enjoyed the flavour, the warm liquid lifting me up before the day of work ahead of myself, I spoke to my work colleagues and asked how their life was going, how were their kids, what were they doing this weekend, took an interest in someone other than myself, this afternoon I went for a long walk, appreciated the nature around me, the cool fresh breeze on my face, the scent of the evergreen trees as we approach winter, the splash of the waterfall in the distance and the crisp sound of the fresh stream flowing below my feet, the birds singing in the afternoon air, the peace and serenity of the nature, and the ability, the clearness of mind and gratitude to experience them.

People ask me what will Sobriety achieve? well for me an experience in life, no more wasted time with drinking and hangovers, but plenty of time to enjoy the little things, those things that we don't even realise in the haze of alcohol . . . all the small things!!

Really inspiring. Thank you.