Notices

I think I'm replacing my addiction to booze with weed

Old 08-23-2017, 04:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I'm replacing my addiction to booze with weed

Hello all

It's been a while since I was here. I missed you guys. I hope you're well.

I haven't consumed booze in one month. Usually, that would be cause for celebration, but I don't feel all that good about it. The reason I haven't been drinking is because I've been smoking marijuana.

When I smoke, I don't feel the urge to consume liquor. I'm content with raiding my fridge, watching TV, listening to music or playing videogames. I consider myself to be gregarious and I enjoy drinking with other people, but weed really does make me introverted. When I'm high I love being alone.

I usually smoke when I come home from work or on the weekends. Man, my tolerance for weed has really gone up in the last month. Before, I couldn't even finish a joint on my own - my brain couldn't handle it. Now, I finish it easily. Last Saturday I smoked six joints, from morning all the way to night. I just stayed at home, smoking, taking pleasure in the most insignificant things (the little things marijuana makes interesting). This has become my routine on weekends - I pretty much don't do anything productive other than smoke.

When I was drinking all the time, I lost a lot of money. God knows how many mornings I cursed myself when I checked my wallet. Weed is very cheap in my country. You can buy a joint for an equivalent of 50 cents (weed-smoking tourists find this country to be heaven). And I think this is one of the factors that has driven me to lean towards pot.

Thing is, I'm concerned. Like I wrote, I usually smoke when knock off work or during the weekends. However, on Monday, I was dreading a certain presentation and I smoked before work. I find that it's much easier to pretend you're sober when you have smoked, as opposed to when you drink. I went to work extremely high and did the presentation with no nerves. On Tuesday I was tempted to smoke before work again, but opted against it. But the urge was there, as it was this morning (didn't smoke).

Before, I'd smoke a joint from time to time - hell I could go 6 months and not care. Now, I NEED to smoke every day. In fact, if I don't smoke at night after work, it's difficult for me to sleep. I'll hibernate around 2 or 3am, and waking up at 7am proves to be hell. I don't know what to do about this situation. Would appreciate advice.

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by catlover1989 View Post
I don't know what to do about this situation.
Yes, you do.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Yes, you do.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
I mean I know I need to be sober, but with the introduction of marijuana, it's made it more complex. On one hand, I'm glad my body isn't physically dependent on booze and can go dry for a month with no repercussions. However, my brain clearly has a weakness for mind-altering substances - not just booze. Personally, I feel like it's part of a wider, mental/emotional health problem. The only positive out of all this is that, as crazy as it seems, inhaling smoke drenched in THC seems to be helping my asthma. Every year, I really suffer in the months of July and August. The climate from those months doesn't mesh well with my asthma. But ever since I started smoking heavily, not once have I had to use my inhaler or take salbutamol medication.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Catlover

Before I destroyed my life with alcohol I destroyed it with weed - the same kind of obsession, the need to be endlessly buzzed or high and the failing in my responsibilities and affecting my performance as an employee friend, partner and the lies and deceit that come with that.

Your inner addict will try and tell you that weeds not as bad as alcohol because you can hide it better ...

It will try and tell you that the situations more complex now too and therefore harder to resolve.

Basically it will tell you anything it needs to in order to keep this situation going.

The solution hasn't changed catlover.

whether it's booze, weed, cocaine or whatever - the solution is still abstinence, along with support, and making changes geared to building a sober life you love.

You're aware of the problem which is great

You have a chance to stop this now before things progress as they always do and get much much worse

I really hope you decide to do that

D
Old 08-23-2017, 05:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Catlover

Before I destroyed my life with alcohol I destroyed it with weed - the same kind of obsession, the need to be endlessly buzzed or high and the failing in my responsibilities and affecting my performance as an employee friend, partner and the lies and deceit that come with that.

Your inner addict will try and tell you that weeds not as bad as alcohol because you can hide it better ...

It will try and tell you that the situations more complex now too and therefore harder to resolve.

Basically it will tell you anything it needs to in order to keep this situation going.

The solution hasn't changed catlover.

whether it's booze, weed, cocaine or whatever - the solution is still abstinence, along with support, and making changes geared to building a sober life you love.

You're aware of the problem which is great

You have a chance to stop this now before things progress as they always do and get much much worse

I really hope you decide to do that

D
Hello, Dee. Long time

You are so right about the need to stay buzzed/high. These days, when I'm home, I don't feel comfortable if I don't have a stash of weed nearby. I need to know that when I want, I can light up at any time.

You are so right about it affecting life in many ways. Like I wrote, on weekends I rarely do anything productive anymore. Just get high and chill. It's pretty pathetic to be honest.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

However, my brain clearly has a weakness for mind-altering substances - not just booze.
is it your mind has a weakness to mind altering substances or underlying issues have a weakness to being sober?
Old 08-23-2017, 05:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
is it your mind has a weakness to mind altering substances or underlying issues have a weakness to being sober?
That's a very good question. A very good one. You have really made me think here. If I will be entirely honest with myself - I would say it is the latter. I would say my underlying issues are averse to the thought of sobriety. I've only been drinking heavily since 2015.

Before, I RARELY drank. I could go a year without booze and wouldn't care. When I was in my late teens, I worked part-time as a bartender in a nightclub. Didn't really drink then, either. I had very little interest in alcohol - it was just a job for me.

The same with weed. First time I was high was also in 2015. Had never tried a joint before that, despite being friends with some pretty serious smokers. It sounds so crazy when I look at it in retrospect. I have spent the vast majority of my life being EXTREMELY sober on all fronts.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I smoked a lot of grass the summer after I graduated from college, at the time I blamed it on an unfaithful girlfriend. With the perspective of several years, I'm glad I didn't marry her. I also realize I got high so much not because of her, but because I really liked it.

As I was soon to enter graduate school and eventually the work force, I knew I had to eliminate pot from my life. I came up with a brilliant solution. I switched to alcohol, which was legal and more socially acceptable.

Obviously what I did was switch one addiction for another. It took me 20 some years to beat back the alcohol addiction. Don't fool yourself. Addiction is addiction.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
I smoked a lot of grass the summer after I graduated from college, at the time I blamed it on an unfaithful girlfriend. With the perspective of several years, I'm glad I didn't marry her. I also realize I got high so much not because of her, but because I really liked it.

As I was soon to enter graduate school and eventually the work force, I knew I had to eliminate pot from my life. I came up with a brilliant solution. I switched to alcohol, which was legal and more socially acceptable.

Obviously what I did was switch one addiction for another. It took me 20 some years to beat back the alcohol addiction. Don't fool yourself. Addiction is addiction.
You are right about addiction being addiction, no matter the substance. I'm learning that with this drug.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I started with pot and LSD and later got a taste of cocaine, mdma and ketamine so I quit smoking pot in favor of the stronger drugs. Then I had to quit the stronger drugs so I started drinking more, a lot more. Moral of the story, I just liked to get f*cked up. Didn't really matter what got me there as long as I got there. I'm an addict and I can't moderate anything. Far easier to stay away from it all.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

We addicts need to be careful because usually in time the effect of the pot alone will not be enough then we will wonder how can I add to it just a little what better way than to have a drink with a joint then before we know it we're back down a rough road possibly rougher than before.

It's very easy to deceive oneself.

M-Bob
Old 08-23-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are right about addiction being addiction, no matter the substance. I'm learning that with this drug.
the reason i asked is because there were times i wasnt drinking, but smokin a lot of pot.
because without the alcohol, the problems in my melon were there.
when i got sober i learned alcohol and pot( and all the other drugs) werent the problem, but the solution i found for the underlying issues that were the true problem.
they never did work as a solution.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I smoke weed occasionally still(few times a month and I get mine for free). I don't "need it" like I did booze. I agree that addiction is addiction and if it's causing you problems(in your case not getting things done on weekends and staying stoned/high when you can) it's a problem. I'm glad you've realized it and can now take action towards 'fixing' what you need to. Take care.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How about working on a recovery plan so you don't NEED a buzz to deal with life? Could that be an option?

BB
Old 08-23-2017, 09:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

The director in my recovery program gives lectures every Wednesday, which I love because he's hugely knowledgeable and recognized in the field of addiction and recovery, and he's freaking hilarious.

The subject of today's lecture was exactly about this, as several people wanted to know if they could still smoke weed if they didn't drink, and in general was it OK to use if it wasn't your DOC.

He said going back to your DOC was an unequivocal NO WAY, as once addicted, it's only a matter of time before you end up right back where you left off. As far as using another substance than your DOC, he said that some people who are, for example, addicted to opioids, can after a LONG period of sobriety could POSSIBLY say, enjoy the occasional glass of wine with dinner and leave it at that, in fact he knows people that can actually do that (I hate them). He himself wouldn't risk it, as he never really liked alcohol, he would lose all credibility as in his field if he wasn't 100% sober. He stressed that it's a huge risk to even try to do so, and that weed can be a slippery slope, as people have a tendency to smoke weed for a while, but will eventually go back to their DOC.

It's just not worth it Catlover. Marijuana in itself isn't physically addictive unless you're smoking it in wax form (which is like 90%+ THC), but can be hugely psychologically addictive, and the chances are quite high that you'll revert to alcohol. He also said that only you can answer the question if you're an addict, be it booze, weed, etc. He doesn't have a problem with people who can use normally without becoming addicted, if it makes you feel better, go ahead. BUT if you're addicted, you can never use your substance again, and it's risky to use anything.

A month off booze really isn't that long, I suspect you'll continue to feel better. Also, increased tolerance is a HUGE sign of addiction.