Notices

Where to start?

Old 08-17-2017, 08:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where to start?

I have been struggling for a couple of years, went from drinking a bit too much to drinking daily, and for the past year drinking a fifth to a handle daily- on top of beers. I recognized it was a problem, and tried to stop cold turkey but only made it 2 days because of the withdrawal symptoms (hot flashes, sweating, irritability, heart racing, insomnia, REALLY vivid nightmares when I did fall asleep) I started to wean and was doing really well, I got down from a fifth to a pint but the cravings just kind of snuck up on me and I ended up back at 2 pints, and now up to a liter daily. I know I can do it, I'm just really struggling with the self control to taper down. I don't even like to be drunk, I like to drink socially but I can't even fathom where these cravings come from to drink throughout the day, I'm much more productive sober and it really hinders aspects of my life. I just want to stop but I can't seem to
Old 08-17-2017, 08:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome

If withdrawal concerns you why not see a Dr? They can check your vitals, offer advice, maybe even prescribe meds to help if they feel that's warranted?

D
Old 08-17-2017, 08:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome

If withdrawal concerns you why not see a Dr? They can check your vitals, offer advice, maybe even prescribe meds to help if they feel that's warranted?

D
The withdrawal symptoms sucked, but my bigger issue was just sticking to it and curbing the craving to drink. It was easy to dry heave at work and think "well I better drink to avoid this" and it just got me back going to the bottle every day
Old 08-17-2017, 09:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
My drinking got progressive, too, until I was drinking a lot every day.
After a particularly bad withdrawal morning, I realized it had to stop.
But that lasted a few days until I felt better, then back at it.
I never tried the taper. Couldn't I was out of control and had to drink a lot or nothing and at the time, nothing wasn't possible.

Finally, it got so out of control it was controlling me. I had no choice any more
drink to get drunk and I didn't even like being drunk all that much either.
This went on for ten years.
I got fed up with the mornings after. I called AA. I found people like me, having a desire to stop drinking.
It took two more years but a bug had been planted in my head. Drinking wasn't the same.
There are people like me who had successfully quit. I wanted what they had more than I wanted to drink.

It's been over six years now since I've found, or had, a reason to drink.
You're drinking quite a bit, like me, so I know where you're coming from. And I hope you can stop. It may take help. You came here, so that's a start already.
I had to admit I was powerless over drinking. Alcohol had won I was beat.

I wish you the best. You're not alone in your struggles.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

how are you today poopsocks ?
Old 08-18-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Consider detox - I was able to skip it but I know folks in my treatment program who absolutely need it and benefitted from it. They can help you with all of those symptoms - get you through them and in a good spot to start treatment.

And yes, I do think treatment is in order. With the habit you're describing, tapering might sound, look, or feel good for a short time, but you're still just as addicted. To give up the binging, you're going to have to also give up the social drinking, because it doesn't seem like you can have both.

Don't think of treatment or abstinence or AA as a punishment like I used to. It's a gift of life and sanity.