Notices

Terrified of this feeling. New comer needs some advice

Old 08-04-2017, 01:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Terrified of this feeling. New comer needs some advice

Hey guys. Whats up? Im 26 year old male whos basically been drinking since I was around my late 20s. It was basically a 6 pack of coors light. Till around 24 my tolerance flew out the roof. I was downing maybe 14-16 beers a night. Knocking out cold and rinse and repeat. Now everything was fine... Or so i thought. Till march 2016. I had a my regular beer and went to sleep around 11 pm, Until i basically twitched out my sleep, soaking in sweat. Now i noticed... I couldnt sleep for nothing unless i had beer in my system. I did this all 2016 and now its 2017 and its effecting my life like crazy. I started cramping , extreme shakyness in my hands but it would all go away with water and a beer . I dont smoke nor drink any types of hard liqour. Im just a regular old good food and beer type guy. Now Ive been 2 days awake. Clammy feet and palms and just feeling weak. I heard about the taper method and im really itching for a brew right now but im fighting it with all my might. Did it work for you guys or is a detox the only way. I dont have insurance and my god im terried of doctors. Please . Id love to hear some experiences. Thanks you guys!
Old 08-04-2017, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Suggest you see a doctor. I had seizures with withdrawal. Hydrate and eat. If you are really worried- go to a hospital ER.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I could never successfully taper. My first week of sobriety involved night sweats, agitation, and if I slept 2 hours a night I was lucky.

As much as you're terrified of Doctors, they are extremely helpful and can guide you through withdrawal. Detoxing can be dangerous. Please don't go this alone. Get help.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I AGREE. Tapering? HA! My doc and a boss (he was a 'sociologist') told me to do this. I was given permission to drink. Openly with endorsement. I tapered- for about a day.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

You are showing signs of serious alcohol dependence, please, Please see a doctor for a proper medical detox.

Detoxing can be deadly.

Glad you decided to stop!
Old 08-04-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like classic withdrawal. Withdrawals are uncomfortable but they do pass. All of the maladies you describe are likely being caused by the alcohol. You are wise to quit. And I doubt you'll regret it. Wishing you the best.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

This is more than classical withdrawal. I know of horror stories of this type of situation (as described by the OP).
Old 08-04-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Road2Recovery

I thought I'd be fine too cos I only drank beer - but alcohol is alcohol and any kind of alcohol can get you addicted and into withdrawal.

It sounds like you're doing it tough tho.

I would see a Dr. They'll be able to suggest the right way forward for you - they may even prescribe meds to help.

See your own doctor and get some peace of mind

D
Old 08-04-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder folks - lets share our experience and not our opinions.

Noone should be diagnosing, or judging the severity of symptoms here.

Thats a Doctors job.
We are not doctors

Dee
SR
Old 08-04-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

man... i wish i would of stopped when i noticed i was clocking back that many beers. im almost into my 3 rd day of not drinking. My face is bright red and im sweating. The sweat isnt like how regular sweat it. Is quite greasy and i dont have oily skin. Im drinking alot of water right now. I notice when i drink water thats when i start sweating like crazy. Its like a random hot flash. The jitters in my hands eased up. Its just the lack of sleep and these hot flashes thats bothering me. I also did get a blood test earlier this year. The doctor said my vitamin D level was low and my liver enzymes were up. I couldn't tell him why he just assumed diet..
Old 08-04-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Im no one to judge but my main worry is the pills they give you in detox. I think i seen Xanax? I know a few people that got hooked on that pill and have never been the same. They were basically walking around like zombies. They did it as a party drug. This is why im so paranoid but i have to face the light. Thank you guys for the prompt replies! More experiences are welcome.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Road2Recovery1 View Post
Im no one to judge but my main worry is the pills they give you in detox. I think i seen Xanax? I know a few people that got hooked on that pill and have never been the same. Just worried guys. Thats all.
then when you go to detox, share that concern.

my only experience with tapering is reading here.
quite a few threads from people that werent able to.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

man... i wish i would of stopped when i noticed i was clocking back that many beers. im almost into my 3 rd day of not drinking. My face is bright red and im sweating. The sweat isnt like how regular sweat it. Is quite greasy and i dont have oily skin. Im drinking alot of water right now. I notice when i drink water thats when i start sweating like crazy. Its like a random hot flash. The jitters in my hands eased up. Its just the lack of sleep and these hot flashes thats bothering me. I also did get a blood test earlier this year. The doctor said my vitamin D level was low and my liver enzymes were up. I couldn't tell him why he just assumed diet..
i will preface this by saying that you should not hesitate to see a doc if things get bad. On the other hand if you can figh t through the urges and the sweats etc...you will come out the other side feeling pretty good. You are withdrawing, if possible eat and drink liquids with salt and potassium. When you get through this (and you will), you never have to do this again.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Im no one to judge but my main worry is the pills they give you in detox. I think i seen Xanax? I know a few people that got hooked on that pill and have never been the same. They were basically walking around like zombies. They did it as a party drug. This is why im so paranoid but i have to face the light. Thank you guys for the prompt replies! More experiences are welcome.
Baed on my experience, if you go to a Dr you can listen to what they say and either accept or refuse any meds they offer.

If they did prescribe something like valium it will very likely be a very short term script.

Seeing as you're already some days into detox they may check your vitals and not give you meds at all - but it'll be good to know you've been checked out and given the OK, yeah?

D
Old 08-04-2017, 07:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

These very uncomfortable symptoms should lessen very soon. You've been through the worst part based on my experience.