Notices

Woke up wanting to drink tonight

Old 08-04-2017, 04:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Woke up wanting to drink tonight

I never drink during the weekday. (During the day that is. Evening was an everyday thing.) This morning I woke up a little anxious about stuff at work. Then I thought how much I wished I could drink tonight. That would lead to drinking everyday again though.

I'm starting Day 3 which is a huge accomplishment. Yet I feel depressed. I don't know how to live as a sober person. I don't know who I am without alcohol. I know this will take time, but it's hard right now.

Today I'm going to throw myself into work and make it as productive as possible. At lunch I will figure out a plan for the evening so I won't drink.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done stick at it, it will get better
Old 08-04-2017, 05:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Be sure to stay strong and build a solid plan for tonight!

Play the tape forward ... Visualize tomorrow morning (Waking up sober and happy you didn't drink).

Best to you!
Old 08-04-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
I don't know how to live as a sober person. I don't know who I am without alcohol.
Then you will learn. That's what the journey of recovery is.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sinderos, my first week was filled with ups and downs. Learning who you are and living life without alcohol is a process. It takes time to regroup. One day at a time was all I could manage in early recovery.

Congratulations on day 3. Whatever you do don't drink ... it's not worth it. Living life happy and free of alcohols destruction is worth every moment of sadness. It passes, be kind to yourself.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sinderos,

Congrats on 3 days! I'm still in the very wee early stages of sobriety (Day 25) and I fully understand the ups and downs that you're experiencing. I have "high" moments where I feel great and "low" moments where I can't imagine a life without alcohol. It's definitely been an emotional roller coaster.

If you like to read, I strongly recommend "Drinking: A Love story" by Carolyn Knapp. I read it around Day 3 of my own sobriety and it crystallized for me why I had to stop drinking. It made me feel less alone to know that others have faced the same struggle.

I know that for me, "One is one too many, and one more is never enough." It seems like you recognize the same in yourself. When you feel the desire to drink, take a step back and remember why you quit. Realize that one drink can open up a can of worms that you may not be able to close again. Post here, call a sober friend, go for a walk... the craving will pass!

We are all here for you!
Old 08-04-2017, 07:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
I don't know who I am without alcohol.
do you know who you are with alcohol?
Old 08-04-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job on 3 days, that's a great start. For some of us, early sobriety is the fight of our lives and we must treat it accordingly. Fight those urges, think of the rewards sobriety will bring, stay positive (which is hard at times). You can accomplish so much more than you think. Keep at it. Wish you the best.