Notices

New here depressed and need help

Old 07-19-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here depressed and need help

I recently got a DUI and my life has since gone down hill quickly for several reasons, first is I work full time and can't hardly pay my rent or buy food and now have over $1200 in fines to pay, second I have been battling depression my whole life and now that this has happened it has gotten worse and everyone I talk to keeps trying to make me feel more ashamed however there is no one on the planet that can make me feel more ashamed than I already am since my uncle was killed by a drink driver 25 years ago, which leads me to my final point I have no family I can tell about this because they will never forgive me and they are the only ones I have left. So due to all of this it's hard to not have very dark thoughts. Anyone willing to help?
Old 07-19-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Brown and welcome. I have just 12 days and I can tell you that this site has helped me stay sober. As bad as it seems things get better as long as I don't drink. Read and post often.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes it is true that alcohol steals the good things from us. I'm glad you are here! The choice to reach out and be a part of this community will help you get sober if you are ready. It will take time to correct the damage done by alcohol in your life, but today is a good day to start down that new direction. Welcome !! I'm glad you are here.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Brown
there's a forum full of people who want to help - noone is going to make you feel ashamed here

If the fines are going to be hard for you to pay I think you need to let someone know about that ASAP - I'm not American so I don't know who that might be - it would be the clerk of the court here.

I'm assuming you're legally an adult, so if you don't want to tell your family, then don't.

There support here and in places like AA, if you want to go that route.

If you're depressed, even if it's been a lifelong thing, why not see your Dr - perhaps they can help?

Many of us dug very deep holes for ourselves as drinkers - but we got out, with a little time effort and patience.

Don't lose yourself to despair

How long have you been sober now?

D
Old 07-19-2017, 07:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Brown. No one will judge you here, and you will find plenty of support and a place to post your thoughts if you need to. I know it's hard to see now, but things can and will get better. However, I won't kid you about the DUI and fines, but that will take time.

You didn't mention your drinking habits, but since you're here, I assume you're concerned about your drinking? Are you thinking about quitting for good?
Old 07-20-2017, 04:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was in the same situation back in 2013. It doesn't have to be a bad thing, you can use it as a catalyst for change. I've known people that gave up because of it, lost their jobs, turned to drink, got depressed and lost their partners. I've also known people to be thankful they survived and were being given anther chance. To be honest I expected myself to use it as a reason to fall further into depression but I didn't, I picked myself up and made the best of it. I honestly think it was one of the best things that ever happened to me. Yeah it was tough , to keep my job I had to commute 4 hours a day by foot, bus, train and bike but I did it for 18 months. I got fit, got sober and felt like I had paid for my mistake. Things broke down months later re my drinking but that's another story. Good luck, you can do it!
Old 07-20-2017, 05:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hi there -- This group can be a life saver.... I am sure there are others (like Maverick's post above)... That have gone through similar troubles and came out "on the other side" ... In a better place!

Hang in there... Please let us know how you are doing today
Old 07-20-2017, 09:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for your help and your answer your question I am a college student who drinks a bit too much which I never did before moving away. And yes I'm legal to drink.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Brown. A lot of good advice and encouragement given here already with people from varied experiences. Keep reaching out, reading here. You are not alone. I've never had a DUI, but I have battled with depression. I second what Dee said about getting with a Dr. to address the depression. I seriously think many people drink because of depression, but as we all know alcohol is a CNS depressant and just makes the depression worse. Try to look at your situation this way: Your life is starting a new beginning.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I will definitely keep checking in here. And is anyone here familiar with Butte MT? Cause that's where I'm at and I didn't drink before I got here but now that I'm here it's all anyone and everyone in this town does.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Brown.. welcome
- talk to someone who is responsible for the rfines and organise a payment plan. My sponsor osed 10's of thousands of $$ in credit card overdues. He avoided it for years. He finally approached the credit people, did not go into the whole alcohol thing- but explained he had been having a hard time in his personal life and wanted to get back on track, can you please help. They helped, he got a plan into place- and felt so much better and as huge weight lifted.
Dark thoughts and no family- you need on the ground support. Community support worker, AA, SMART, psychologist...a good place to start is your doc.
Support to you.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brown94 View Post
Cause that's where I'm at and I didn't drink before I got here but now that I'm here it's all anyone and everyone in this town does.
naaaaa..... 33k people in butte. theyre not all drinking.
probably just everyone youre around? maybe the places ya hang?
i had blinders on,too, when i drank. very rarely would i see someone NOt drinking.
because of my play places and play mates.
and everyone in college doesnt drink either.
just in case ya try that.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Brown, I'm glad you posted and I know you will find lots of support here. Many of us have made mistakes and regret things we did while drinking. Have faith that you can deal with the DUI and the fines and get your life on track. Staying sober will make that possible.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The fines won't go away if you continue to spend money on alcohol. If you haven't already, make a commitment to quit drinking, put aside the money you'd normally spend on alcohol, and make a payment plan to pay the fines. As long as you show them you are willing to make even small monthly payments, they will usually work with you. Good luck!
Old 07-23-2017, 05:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Brown.

It took me a long time before I saw where alcohol was taking me.

Looking back on my life I can now see the red flags even back during my college years.

Alcoholism is a quirky disease. I've heard it said it's the only disease that tells you you don't have it. I hope you find the support you deserve - it's out there! And that you'll keep posting. Take care.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Brown. First I am sorry to hear about your uncle. My wife lost a cousin like that. It's a hard thing. I was in a bad situation around your age involving a truck and a power pole. Could have killed myself and two others with me. I was blessed by God and we all walked away. It has taken another 31 years to understand I can't drink anymore. I have truly been watched over. You are at a fork in the road. One way takes you deeper into the mud pit where it will be much harder to get out. If you ever get the chance. The other road is the first step back to having a life. My best to you on making a good choice.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Alcoholics Anonymous (A. A.) Meetings in Butte, Montana

Looks like there are around 50 meetings per week in Butte. So I reckon there could be a few people there NOT drinking. Perhaps you could go chat with some of them. They probably have some experience, strength and hope they could pass on to you.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery.
BB