Notices

A reminder of the 'before' me...

Old 06-30-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A reminder of the 'before' me...

Hi all,

I have a family BBQ I am attending tomorrow and I just wanted to remind myself why I have chosen sobriety. Below is a list I made a month ago when I decided to embrace sobriety:

•Decisions and actions that could have destroyed my life
•Painful hangovers
•Days of anxiety recovering from a binge
•Wasted days in bed recovering
•Feeling tired on a Monday morning rather than refreshed and energetic
•I want to be a mother in the near future
•Shame and guilt
•Ruining my wedding night...crying in the hotel room...not remembering the whole party
•Impacts on my ability and motivation to exercise
•It troubles my husband when I start to become belligerent and obnoxious
•Not remembering time spent with others...not creating memories
Old 06-30-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post. It's good to look back at old posts and be reminded.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your month Nova - great list

D
Old 07-01-2017, 12:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great list. Keep it handy to look at when cravings come, or boredom/hunger/lonliness/strong emotions happen. If you are like me, you drank to deal with those things (even "happy" days).

Keep going! Your self confidence and peace of mind are uncovered over time!
Old 07-01-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great list. I can relate to all of these. Thank you and have fun at that BBQ. 😊
Old 07-01-2017, 01:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Great list Nova!

Do you have an exit strategy and does your husband support you if you need to leave?
Old 07-01-2017, 01:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys 💜

Am back from the BBQ...made it through 4 hrs before heading home. Wasn't tempted to drink as that's not even an option in my head...but did experience feeling uncomfortable at times whilst others adjust to me not drinking. I think my aunt took it as a slight against her that I wasnt drinking at her event and that I left after 4 hrs...I was told that by doing so I was being a "party pooper". Before I would have been bang on the prosecco and definitely there till the early hours...then I would have come home (maybe...or crashed at my aunts house) to a not very happy husband as I would have been drinking for at least 8 hrs...then I would have spent tomorrow in bed with a hangover and feeling extremely anxious...and the anxiety would have lasted a couple of days. I am so grateful that this isn't the case and I know that as time and events pass people will get used it.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Great list Nova!

Do you have an exit strategy and does your husband support you if you need to leave?
Hi ladyblue...I drove so had the car and also offered to drive my grandmother home so had a further excuse to give to others for not drinking. My husband rarely drinks and it would have been helpful to have had him there but he had to work today x
Old 07-01-2017, 02:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nova84 View Post
Thanks guys 💜

Am back from the BBQ...made it through 4 hrs before heading home. Wasn't tempted to drink as that's not even an option in my head...but did experience feeling uncomfortable at times whilst others adjust to me not drinking. I think my aunt took it as a slight against her that I wasnt drinking at her event and that I left after 4 hrs...I was told that by doing so I was being a "party pooper". Before I would have been bang on the prosecco and definitely there till the early hours...then I would have come home (maybe...or crashed at my aunts house) to a not very happy husband as I would have been drinking for at least 8 hrs...then I would have spent tomorrow in bed with a hangover and feeling extremely anxious...and the anxiety would have lasted a couple of days. I am so grateful that this isn't the case and I know that as time and events pass people will get used it.

Yes some people can be extremely unsupportive and that's annoying but true. Treat yourself to a nice cooked breakfast somewhere tomorrow with no hangover and a nice tomato juice. You deserve it
Old 07-01-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobersue1984 View Post
Yes some people can be extremely unsupportive and that's annoying but true. Treat yourself to a nice cooked breakfast somewhere tomorrow with no hangover and a nice tomato juice. You deserve it
Thanks Sue 😊