Notices

1 in 5

Old 06-26-2017, 04:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 in 5

Hey SR,

I was watching a program this evening about big supermarkets cashing in on the market of non alcoholic wine, as it is a growing market, and capitalism can't be wrong if there's money to be made.

It was under the topic of healthy living, but thought it interesting when the statistic of 1 in 5 people in the UK consider themselves teetotal, so I did some research and came across 1 of many articles to support that claim:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ive-dont-drink

For me, when I got Sober, all I knew was drinkers, my friends were drinkers, I hung out with drinkers, and the universe felt like drinking was at the centre of it, which meant that one of the main hurdles of giving it up was a fear of missing out, surely that's what everyone does? What else is there to do? How am I going to pass the time?

Well it seems to not be the case, as much as alcohol would like to sell us the lie and the myth, let's boil it down, 20 out of every 100 people on average don't drink in the UK, that's 2 in every 10 people, 1 in every 5 people, that means there's a few on every bus, a few in every coffee shop, multiple numbers at every wedding, every concert, every birthday and 1 in every family.

When I was a newcomer I couldn't get my head around being the odd one out, why me? Why can't I drink normally?

Well we're not such an endangered species after all, it's alright to be a non drinker in the crowd, and we have many like minded people in our corner.

PK
Old 06-26-2017, 04:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I meet a lot more normal 'one or two' drinkers and teetotallers these day, now I'm not surrounded by drinkers like me
Old 06-27-2017, 06:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

You make a good point PurpleKnight. Because of alcohol our friends become self selecting, they drink like we drink. We fail to notice those people for whom drinking is not central to their lives.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I 'd love to see more stats like this for north america... also, there are many cultures that simply dont drink : Mormans, Muslims etc..
It's all about accessibility really. I started to drink heavily when i started to work from home. I think the drinking gene is inside you when youre born. Then as a product of your environment it is released.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well let me tell you, I've lived in several Muslim countries, and if you want to drink, you can find it. This disease does not discriminate. But there is a way out of that tiny hole I found myself in - and I'm out and hope everyone else is too! "I'm out there Jerry and I'm loving every minute of it!" Hehe
Old 06-27-2017, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the great post PurpleKnight 💜
Old 06-27-2017, 07:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VigilanceNow View Post
"I'm out there Jerry and I'm loving every minute of it!"
Old 06-27-2017, 08:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, PurpleKnight - very interesting.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I watched that programme too. I thought "weird," then I realised I'm one of the one in five!
Old 06-28-2017, 03:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

'Well we're not such an endangered species
after all, it's alright to be a non drinker in the
crowd, and we have many like minded people
in our corner.'

I'm so blessed to be one amongst many
like minded folks who choose to remain
sober, healthy and happy and not sick
in our addiction.

This journey we're on is absolutely ROCKIN...!!!!

Thanks PK for sharin.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks PK for sharing. It's an important message for those just dipping their toe into sobriety, I can't remember the last time it felt awkward saying no to a drink, BUT I did feel like a fake in the beginning because every part of me proabably wanted a drink deep down, so saying I didn't drink felt like a lie, or fake. Give it a chance, that feeling eventually passes - now it feels natural for me to pass up a drink and not feel uncomfortable at all.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This actually makes me feel better!