Notices

Skin gone worse after a month sober

Old 06-27-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Skin gone worse after a month sober

Hi guys. I'm a month sober. I've been drinking the correct amount of water recommended (8 large glasses) daily. But since abstinace my skin is more spotty and dry. Did anyone else experience this?
Old 06-27-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Eating well and taking care of your skin?

Can I assume the 1984 is the year you were born? Maybe we're just getting old. lol
Old 06-27-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My body went through a lot and some of it was unpleasant. You're going through profound changes. See a doctor if you are concerned, but hopefully things will get better. Better days ahead!
Old 06-27-2017, 07:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Sobersue.

May it be the case that, like many in early recovery, you upped your sugar intake? My skin used to suffer a lot when I overloaded myself with sweets.

And congrats on a month sober!
Old 06-27-2017, 09:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Sobersue, yes, my skin is very dry at the moment, far more so than usual. I can see thenskinnflaking off my forehead (face dandruff😝 Lol). I always drink tons of water so it's not that. I hope your skin clears up. I have a friend who experiences that when she is very stressed and she never drinks. Congratulations on a month!

I hope it gets better soon.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The body can take a long time to heal.. when you stop putting toxins into your body your body will be like yay! let's get rid of these extra toxins that I've had to store cause there was too many to deal with..
So the bad skin could be from your body releasing toxins.. getting rid of stored toxins can take years.. especially if we have abused ourselves for years..
Old 06-27-2017, 11:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep drinking the water, and eating healthy. Also, talk to your doctor to see if you are missing any vitamins, or iron, it's worth getting s blood test. Also, with the dry summer weather I make sure to use lots of moisturizer.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi SoberSue. My skin was awful for about about 2 months, peaking in awfulness at around 6 weeks. It was so dry and really spotty. I'm 3 and 1/2 months sober now and my skin looks moisturised and healthy. Still getting a few spots, but nothing that can't be covered up! As others have said, it's the body expelling all the poison. I also stopped smoking at the same time as drinking, so I had A LOT of poison to get rid of.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Can be your body readjusting hormonally same thing often happens after starting exercising. Try to keep drinking your water, eat at least five fruits and/or vegetables a day and limit your dairy. Milk etc is a bastard for acne
Old 06-28-2017, 05:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would recommend using rose hip oil and a really good moisturizer both day and night. I had dry skin before I stopped drinking, but I definitely have noticed my skin is way dryer than it once was. I'm a bit of a beauty product junky so I like to try new face masks (you could do a hydrating one), toners, oils, moisturizers, scrubs, etc..
Old 06-28-2017, 06:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My skin went nuts when I got sober. My whole body did too. Don't worry - it will even out. Try a really rich moisturizer or a facial cleansing oil...trader joe's makes one that is great.